Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

- - - Updated - - -
@sujan from where did you order them? are the SONY ERICSSON LIVESOUND Hi-Fi MH-1 compatible with sony ericsson xperia mini upgraded to android v2.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me if you were to rate the JVC Marshmallows, SM PL11 and SM ES18 then how will you rate ?(1..2..3 like this). Disregard their price. I know PL11 is the costliest of all.
I am looking to get a new earphone but under 1000 Rs and already own JVC Marshmallows.

Personally have owned/tried-out both the PL-11 and the JVCs. Both are equally good and have their own strengths and weaknesses. JVC features better detail/clarity and the bass is spread out/punchy. PL-11 has boomy bass which too i enjoy at times but detailing is lost out in the process. I use the JVC with my Sansa Clip+ and the PL-11 is now used by my sister on her ZTE Blade. Also, the JVCs seem to have a higher impedance rating than the PL-11 as my sis would complain of the lower volume levels of the JVC when used with her phone. PL-11, on the other hand are much easier to drive if primary music source is a phone.

Haven't listened to the ES18 !

Whats the best 20$ iems I can buy from the states right now? Preferably from a physical store.

EDIT: Needs to have pretty strong bass and be reasonably comfortable.

What a delight...

Listening with Shure SE535 LTD with Cowon J3, fell in love with SE535 again!

J3 Settings:
Volume 21
Flat Equalizer all Zeros
BBE 8
MP On
SE 6
Rest all OFF

The sound was powerful and amazing. Truly high-end.

Wait…the most important help came from Comply TS-100 tips. So for great sound you need, ears tuned to the specific headphone, comfort and isolation. Without Comfort and Isolation, you can never have great music experience.

@titana & @esanthosh

Would either of you guys have an opinion on using solid silver core in a headphone cable. I'm worried about flexibility and durability primarily. I've read mixed opinions online about using silver core and I'm not sure which side of all the arguments to take! Since it has to be a balanced cable, my limited understanding tells me I should be using 2 x ground and 2 x signal wires, is that correct?

Been using copper so far which is much easier to work with from what I hear. The only reason I'm planning on using silver this time around is because quite a few people tell me it plays well with the LCD2 ........................... once again is that true?

@Ritvik,

I am quite inexperienced when it comes to balanced gear, so I'll leave that part out.

I have Chris Himself's Silver Ray cable for HD600. Even that is described as "stranded occ copper wire coated with high purity silver with teflon insulation.". It is nowhere near as flexible as the stock cable, but so far it is proved to be durable overruling my concerns of storing it in the headphone case. Does the cable make a difference? I have not A:B-ed, but I feel that it's slightly better than stock (ever so slightly clearer), but I find no signature / balance differences compared to stock cable. I love it's shorter length and 3.5mm termination, so I may be biased.

However, it's worth noting that differences I 'feel', if any are subtle. Here's a take by Tyll on the Headphone cables, which correlates with my take on stock cable.

I've spent the last couple of weeks listening to various cables on my Sennheiser HD 600, and while I think I've noticed some differences between the cables, I'm certain I wouldn't be able to tell them apart in blind tests. Well...I might be able to pick out the stock HD 600 cable from the others---it sounded just a bit confused---but otherwise, the differences I think I might have heard are too small to reliably identify.

My take on stock vs after market won't be fair as all my stock are single ended and all the after market are balanced.

Even otherwise I don't think there's much of a difference.

I do believe there might be a difference in durability of a silver plated copper and solid silver core.

Will wait to see what Titana thinks of the LCD2's responsiveness to change in cables as well. Otherwise will save the trouble and get the cheaper copper.

@Ritvik : Are you going to use the LCD-2 with a desktop rig or with a portable setup?

The reason I ask is 'cause I personally believe the subtle improvement brought upon by a good cable would be lost upon by most if not all portable setups.
Also, with a headphone like LCD-2, the priority should be to get a cable which doesn't add to the already considerable weight of LCD-2. If you are looking for SQ/tonal improvements, you can get much better rewards by investing in a better source/amp.
The new stock cable from Audeze is much improved from the one I got & I would personally give it a chance before trying an aftermarket cable & my sole reason for switching would be for better ergonomics if the upstream chain is modest.

@titana

Portable now (SR71B and CLAS -dB) maybe a desktop setup in the future. As things stand I don't have any cable, these are a used pair that I traded one of my other cans for. Will probably ended up with a mini-XLR terminated cable that I can use with both the portable and desktop rigs by swapping out the ends. It works our cheaper than owning multiple cables. So more than looking for tonal improvements I'm resigned to the fact that I will be buying a cable and I'm thus looking to make it a one time investment.

I've heard another pair of the LCD2's from a single ended setup and you really can't fault the bass and mids on these things! Was wondering if the silver would give me more out of the top end when eventually paired with a decent rig. I think these will complement the HE4's quite well......they're less "airy" than the Hifiman cans which I've grown quite fond of, the HE4s are more like a budget HE6 than any of the other Hifiman orthos I've heard and I like/have become accustomed to the treble on the HE4.

@Ritvik

I don't really have experience with aftermarket cables since I make my own. I have made cables from teflon coated SPC and various pro - grade copper wires(Canare, Mogami, BElden etc). The best of these, ime, was a Litz braided cable made from Belden 1800.
None of my cables altered the tonal balance much including the SPC. There was, however, an improvement in clarity, separation & imaging with the better cables which allowed the treble to sound more open and effortless. All of these are changes are similar to the changes brought to my system by a better source. However, while the effects of cable were subtle; the effects of a source upgrade were quite striking and hard to miss.
Its up to you to decide where your priorities lie, but my chief concern for an LCD-2 cable would be ergonomics. You honestly won't want a heavy cable to pull down the LCD-2 frame on your neck. Just buy any lightweight & flexible cable as long as its well-crafted & it really won't bottle-neck your system (significantly).

solid core silver cables are sure stiffer than normal ones but if you are braiding 3-4 cables of more than 4 feet its not a big deal.

TWAG cables are solid core and look how well regarded they are.

Need suggestions for TF10 cable. Looks like the cable is giving up on the left side near the earphone :(

PS : Oiled my cans after 3 years :D :p

zgu6C9d.jpg

Last night i was too tired to put on headphones so i took out my Miracles after about 2 months ...

tumblr_m5b4uhqaUs1r3yp6xo1_400.png

am really rethinking about selling them (bu ..but... i was selling them cause of other reasons )

If you can, hold on to them. I regret selling the JH13s. I just know I'll end up buying them again. :/

My audeze cables arrived today! There's 2 hours of work and a 40 min ride home between me and them. The agony is unbearable!

Back