Graphic Cards Random Crash on a 7850 GPU (Asus 7850 2gb DC2 V2) [Urgent]

I'll ask for one more test : could you install a linux distro like mint, open suse, fedora ( not live cd ) and then install amd gfx driver from package manager. If the system acts normal then try playing some 3d games and on the hardware side do test with another psu.

^ honestly not very comfortable in linux distros & particularly installing gfx drivers (asus doesn't supply any driver of 7850 for linux either)...anyway testing the 7850 in linux & even if it runs good without crash would hardly make any difference, because getting the system up & running properly in Windows environment would be my only final objective & which is what it really matters to me.

Also you earlier asked me for upgrading gpu bios, but i think it wouldn't be a very wise thing to do particularly under the volatile condition of gpu & system stability...let the gpu remain as it is(with the default bios) until further examined by the service centre guy & they deciding whether to upgrade gpu bios or not...& what's causing all the problems!

& finally thanks a LOT brother@topgear for consistently trying to help in this time of difficulty!!!

*btw, those asking for the crashdump file,what's your readout on the situation ?

Upload the dump file from your Win 7 install. Is your system absolutely stable in Safe mode?

What other drivers/software have you installed? What order are you installing your drivers in? Have you tried installing your video drivers first before installing all your realtek ethernet, audio drivers?

Reset your motherboard options to defaults and then check. This does not seem GPU related - if it was, the crash would be in the driver not in the OS kernel.

Following the advises from MSDN about "Bug Check 0xEF: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED"
These actions might prevent an error like this from happening again:
  1. Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
  2. Scan your computer for computer viruses.
  3. Check your hard disk for errors.
My note on this:
1) I don't receive any driver updates from Windows7 update for the 7850 nor do Windows7 recognise the 7850 gpu by default (only as a standard vga adapter)...the 7850 driver install on win7 is only done manually either by running the CCC (.exe) driver package or just installing the 7850 driver "alone" from the device manager(without CCC) ,after which the system begins to crash(after the required installation reboot). In Win 8,the situation is a bit different as post installation of the O.S,the 7850 is immediately recognized by win 8 & it even recommends a new driver installation .Even on stock 7850 drivers or the new windows update driver for the 7850, crashes start to happen randomly !
2) Complete scan done by KIS 2013,Nothing found
3) Completely scanned the HDD by HDTune, & chkdsk, No errrors found!

Upload the dump file from your Win 7 install. Is your system absolutely stable in Safe mode?

What other drivers/software have you installed? What order are you installing your drivers in? Have you tried installing your video drivers first before installing all your realtek ethernet, audio drivers?

ok, will be installing win7 64 ultimate again , but i didn't find much of .dmp file in win 8 either, priorly in win 7 also i didn't find any crash dump(.dmp) files anywhere, still will give a try again in win 7 .As i said,the system just crashes (black screen) & reboots,no bsod,no messages.
yes, the system seems rock solid in safe mode or even when i swapped my gpu with my older Nvidia xfx 6800gs in Normal mode!

The situation is that even if i install any drivers from mobo cd or gpu cd, or NOT it doesNOT Matter, once i install the 7850 gfx drivers all hell break loose! It makes absolutely no difference if
i)i had straightway post o.s installation,just installed the 7850 driver alone(from either the asus 7850 cd or from the asus latest website driver for the 7850 or from the amd/ati website provide latest driver for the 7850) excluding even the CCC
ii) done the Complete full package install of CCC & all its drivers(from amd website)
iii) installed realtek ethernet & audio drivers prior to install of the 7850 driver or henceafter.
iv) No other programs/applications installed (once i installed KIS 2013 to scan the system.Asus AI suite II,HW monitor,HDD Tune, Cpu-z,Gpu-z ,AIDA-64 & i thought these might be creating the crashes) but again did a Fresh clean install of windows without anything,(only the O.S & just the latest 7850 driver/without CCC even), but post install of the driiver & required reboot,..crashes again start occurring as it had been happening !

Power draw at load(why would I mention idle power?!) for the 6800GS is supposed to be about 70W. The 7850 is 130W. Surprising that its running off a Mercury 450W. I hope you're using the PCI-e power connector on your VX550 and not using any molex to PCI-e adapter.

So on a whole, Would then the corsair vx550w NOT able to supply the minimum required power draw for the whole system (including fx8350 processor, the asus mobo,the gpu 7850(presuming card will draw much less power at idle) ,8gb(2x4gb) ddr3 1600fsb ram & a Samsung dvd burner + keyboard & mice) even at idle....as it's seen the system just crashes anytime randomly even without doing anything,completely at idle(even majority of time at system/windows login only),...me just waiting for the crash to happen & yes it would soon happen.

Reset your motherboard options to defaults and then check. This does not seem GPU related - if it was, the crash would be in the driver not in the OS kernel.

I cleared the CMOS & put everything to default,still no difference in crashes !
Ok, i forgot, i also did a Clean boot /startup in Win7 as described here > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796 but that too didn't help !

Last edited:
but i didn't find much of .dmp file in win 8 either, priorly in win 7 also i didn't find any crash dump(.dmp) files anywhere, still will give a try again in win 7 .As i said,the system just crashes (black screen) & reboots,no bsod,no messages.
yes, the system seems rock solid in safe mode or even when i swapped my gpu with my older Nvidia xfx 6800gs in Normal mode!
AFAIK if there is any dump file, then you have definitely had a BSOD. Force a crash, by using WEI for example. Then use nirsoft's BlueScreenView to go through your dump files.

Since your system is running absolutely stable in safe mode, its most likely a software issue.
BTW are you installing Win7/8 with your Ati GPU installed or the nvidia?

Last edited:
AFAIK if there is any dump file, then you have definitely had a BSOD. Force a crash, by using WEI for example. Then use nirsoft's BlueScreenView to go through your dump files.

Since your system is running absolutely stable in safe mode, its most likely a software issue.
BTW are you installing Win7/8 with your Ati GPU installed or the nvidia?

Well,I manually searched for.dmp files,in windows8 ,found 1 minidump in Win 8 which however doesn't correspond to the time as i had my system crashes...the event viewer however accurately gives the correct time stamp for the crashes !

In windows7 however i found NO crashdump files(.dmp) searched manually everywhere (no trace of.dmp file) ,even "whocrashed" cannot find any crash dumps even though crash dumps are enabled ! I also have already tried many times to get crash dump files through running WEI (because running WEI sure shot crashes my system) but still dont get any crash dump files. Also strange is that even if i disable "automatic restart" at Windows startup & recovery for getting any BSOD/any messages,..i get NOTHING , & rather a instant system restart !//which i have already disabled//

only thing left is Nirosoft's Bluescreen View to try out if i can catch hold of any hidden .dmp files or even by new crashing of the system through WEI !

Tried Win 7 64 ultimate & Win8 64 pro with the new ATI Radeon HD Asus 7850 gpu & always had crashes after driver installation In both the O.S !
Tried Win 764 ultimate with my old Nvidia XFX 6800GS & system runs perfectly fine !

Last edited:
Event 41 is a generic error. If you turn off the switch for your PC - you will get an Event 41 error. If a typhoon takes your PC away and you later find it and turn it on - you will get an Event 41 error. What that means is its not going to tell you what is causing the crash, even if its as accurate as an atomic clock.

Did you notice the time for the Win 8 dump file was in GMT? I hope you added +5.30 to it.

leave it man,sorry if i have troubled you ppls here...my mind is already fracked,don't want to whack it anymore !
you are the S.M here,so its your show!...thanks for all the KIND help
btw, i installed Nirosoft's Bluescreen View & still get NO readings of crash or any .dmp files (anywhere in the system) nor any BSOD,even after i crashed it through WEI
&i am sane enough to add 5.30 hrs to GMT to my crash dump file time stamp in win8 before i would report anything here,No .dmp files in Win 7 anytime !

Last edited:
Well the dump files aren't wrong. I ran it through Windbg and got the same :-
Debug session time: Mon Jul 29 06:55:16.892 2013
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:10.559

Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.2.9200.20512 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\<..>072913-12199-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows 8 Kernel Version 9200 MP (8 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 9200.16384.amd64fre.win8_rtm.120725-1247
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff801`8147d000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff801`81747a60
Debug session time: Mon Jul 29 06:55:16.892 2013
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:10.559
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck EF, {fffffa80095fe080, 0, 0, 0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : wininit.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

6: kd> !analyze -v
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef)
        A critical system process died
Arguments:
Arg1: fffffa80095fe080, Process object or thread object
Arg2: 0000000000000000, If this is 0, a process died. If this is 1, a thread died.
Arg3: 0000000000000000
Arg4: 0000000000000000

Debugging Details:
------------------

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----

PROCESS_OBJECT: fffffa80095fe080

IMAGE_NAME:  wininit.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  0

MODULE_NAME: wininit

FAULTING_MODULE: 0000000000000000

PROCESS_NAME:  wininit.exe

EXCEPTION_CODE: (Win32) 0x95fea40 (157280832) - <Unable to get error code text>

BUGCHECK_STR:  0xEF_95fea40

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

STACK_TEXT:
fffff880`099c2968 fffff801`81a02b6d : 00000000`000000ef fffffa80`095fe080 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`099c2970 fffff801`818a209d : 00000000`00000001 fffffa80`095fe080 00000000`00000000 fffff801`818c763d : nt!PspCatchCriticalBreak+0xad
fffff880`099c29b0 fffff801`818a1052 : 00000000`00000024 00000073`b164ec78 00000000`00000001 fffff6fb`7da0fec0 : nt! ?? ::NNGAKEGL::`string'+0x46ffa
fffff880`099c2a10 fffff801`814f7053 : fffffa80`095fe080 fffffa80`095fea40 fffff880`099c2b00 ffffffff`ffffffff : nt!NtTerminateProcess+0x182
fffff880`099c2a80 000007fb`357c2e6a : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiSystemServiceCopyEnd+0x13
00000073`b164f5c8 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 0x000007fb`357c2e6a

STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0xEF_95fea40_IMAGE_wininit.exe

BUCKET_ID:  0xEF_95fea40_IMAGE_wininit.exe

Followup: MachineOwner--------

Run Bluescreenview on Win 8 as well and see, since you do have confirmed dumps on Win 8. BTW no need for the sarcasm, everyone's trying to get you to focus on important stuff, but you keep telling us to look at Event 41 - we are "sane enough" to tell you, it doesn't matter. Instead you can let us know if you overclocked your system. Also you could've told us your earlier system was having trouble as well. From the old system to your new one the only common component is the VX550. I would say RMA your PSU as well. Also, assemble your system outside the cabinet with the bare basic components to rule out any other faulty components.

Edit: As topgear said below, take your components to Digicomp since your board is Asus too. In fact take your entire setup and have them swap between the components to narrow down which one is causing issues.

Last edited:
IF Op is not so sure about the PSU he can take both Asus mobo and the gfx card to Digicomp and tell them about the crash issue .. they would test the mobo+gpu combo with different PSU and Op will at-least know for sure if it's the PSU which is making all these issues or not.

The motherboard shuts down when the temperatures cross certain thresholds. this doesnt result in crash but the system just powers down. check the temperatures of cpu and other parts during load and idle.

I faced this problem few times with old systems.

I will have some updates for you guys within some time..may be the problem is already solved, though NOT jumping guns !
Didn't went to the S.C !...chalo lets C, i will update if the problem is confirmed resolved !
Till then thanks to every member including crazy eddy for proactively supporting me here.:)

well the necessary update:
(particularly for those who have actively participated here & might be still be somewhat intersted about it, & also for those who might refer this thread in future when facing a similar situation)
So,..as i have doubted from the very start when the crashes started happening...also as i said in post#3 & theorised in post#7 of why the crashes happens,....i was quite correct in assuming that it might be the PSU & yes it was the PSU (my 5+ year old Corsair Vx550W) after all which gave some harrowing moments of despair with my New system ! Installed a New PSU( a Brand New Seasonic M12II 850w http://www.seasonicusa.com/M12II-Bronze-650-750-850.htm ) & touch-wood NOT a single problem /crash henceforth for the last 10 days. System running perfectly stable even on running New games for 5-6 hours continuously,FHD video encodes,Runnig WEI infinite times,all random daily system activities,running torrent 24x7 for the last couple of days & finally stress testing the system with OCCT,FURMARK ,3D MARK etc. NOT a single problem or crash till now....& all these with the FULL CCC driver package ( i can install any old or new or beta ccc driver package without any difference in system stability,currently on 13.4 drivers) & Also the Full/complete ASUS AISuite2 installed & oced the Corsair vengeance to 1600 XMP profile in DC !

So far ,so good now, i think my system is up,running good/normal as it should always have been...well till i do my next updates for OCing the system with a Good aftermkt CPU cooler,(the stock cooler is really noisy) & a Good cabby to add !

So Admin/mods can close the thread & mark it as SOLVED !
*spl Thanks to Sumon Pathak for helping me to sort out the problem !!!

Last edited:
Back