PC Peripherals RAM upgrade required for Laptop

priyam1309

Disciple
I bought Sony Vaio VPCEG25EN few days back with stock 2GB RAM and now I feel i require another 2GB minimum. The Authorized service station guys are asking for 4K which I know is way too much. Below is the specification of the stock ram -

[attachment=10735:17729.attach]

Please suggest me a perfect RAM that would fit in the Slot and improve my laptop. I found a link on ebay, please tell if that is the correct RAM?

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 139
Acer, ASUS, MSI and some more manufacturers allow you to upgrade basic components yourself. Tearing away the stickers doesn't void their warranty.

Cant say about Sony VAIO because they have one of the worst laptop RMA record in India.

If you're worrying about compatibility then get a Corsair Value Series Ram module matching your specifications or a 2GB variant of this RAM module.

upgrading Ram on your sony vaio is quite easy.. i had done it for a friend.. theres nothing too complicated. just get the appropriate screw driver to open the ram slot cover beneath your laptop. (you will find decent screw driver sets for about Rs. 140 with all kinds of sizes and shapes that you will possibly need to strip down your laptop fully). all you gotta do is open the lid, see what ram you've got installed (you can take the existing ram stick with you to the market and just show it to the vendor) buy the same thing in the market (brand is not an issue, but its better if other technical specs are similar). just slide the ram stick into the empty slot. close the lid. start your pc.. and you're done. .in any windows after xp, you need not do any other manual config settings for windows to be able to see and start using the extra ram.

and yeah, now that you've got a 64 bit OS, you could definitely use the extra ram provided you have that kind of application. (you sure you need ram to make your pc faster, it might also be something else. be sure to make sure about that.)

if you're not a performance freak or anything, just need a basic 2 gb ram upgrade, u can buy a kingston, transcend etc. otherwise go for corsair...

PS: while you're doing all this, make sure you've removed the battery

Before replaceing the RAM, ensure the laptop has been completely shut down, not hibernated. Then detach the power cord and remove the battery.

As for replacing the RAM, if you could post the pic of the bottom of your laptop, we could help.

thanks for all the replies guys, I see that there are no stickers on the screws of the panel where RAM is fixed so I suppose I would not violate the warranty of the Laptop. I needed the exact RAM details like speed, latency etc. The CPUZ pix that I pasted on my post tells me the manufacturer and the part no of the RAM and from which I came to the below details -

DDR3, Unbuffered non ECC, 1.5V, 204 pin SO DIMM, PC3 - 10660 (9-9-9) <Link>

I wanted to confirm my findings and also had a doubt if PC3 - 10600 and PC3 - 10666 is same as mine? Can I go with any?

Thanks again.

THere is no 10666 RAM.

If you feel that there could be an issue, replace the stick that you also have with a new one, it costs around 1.4K for a new 4GB RAM stick only.

Back