Graphic Cards R.I.P HD4850 and Hello.....?

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
After 3 1/2 years of gaming back and forth, my HD4850 finally gave way last night. Got all sorts of graphical corruption. Have momentarily switched to onboard video and it sucks.
<

*observes a minutes silence*

OK! Now that it's over, I would like to know what's the next best thing? Obvious choices would probably be the MSI GTX560Ti Twin Frozr or the HD6950 1GB/2GB. I have almost made up my mind toward the 560Ti, but would like to know in terms of raw performance, which card would be a good choice?

Things to keep in mind:

1.) PSU in concern is a Corsair VX450

2.) Gaming resolution is 1920x1080

3.) Budget is 14.5k

4.) Needs to have 3 year warranty

5.) Good cooling solution

So fire away folks and as always thanks for all your help.

In terms of raw performance a 6950 2gb beats GTX560ti. Special mention would be PHYSX enabled games and in this case, a GTX560ti beats 6950.

6950 Twin frozr III will be little over your budget but is the best thing atm.

Sorry to say, but I would not risk running those two cards on a VX450. You need a better PSU viz. Seasonic 520 (non overclocked rig with above cards), Seasonic 620, Corsair TX650.

Now when is 660ti coming?? I heard keplers are going to launch in Q4 2012. Correct me if I am wrong.

#Ethan : You can even wait for 7870/7850. Coz when 7xxx series would be in full flow prices of 6950/GTX560ti would go down considerably. So will be a win-win for us

for the VX450 psu and your resolution i would go with HD6850 without doubt

while the 6950/6970 with a PSU upgrade may seem a better option for your resolution,

do keep in mind that 2012 is the year for the next iteration of XBox and PS

with the consoles foraying into the new generation, so will the games and the GPUs

in short this generations GPUs have a pretty short shelf life

get a HD6850 for a year and then buy the next gen GPU that comes out (after the consoles get released)

Unfortunately, waiting, is not an option. Got Mass Effect 3 coming up and some other titles too. I also forgot to mention, my current CPU is an E8400 @stock. I'm sure it will bottleneck the card, but I'm not planning to upgrade that at the moment.

In case of GTX560, which brand should I go for? What's the difference between GTX560 and the Ti version? I have 2 of these cards listed on Prime's website. The MSI GTX560 Twin Frozr OC retails for 13.5k ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II retails for 14.5k.

I dont think E8400 will be much of a bottleneck, you should be able to get away with running the 560 on the VX450, Look for 560 with Twinfrozer 3 I got that for a friend a while back its a sweet card. I think its call 560 hawk.

The difference between Gtx560 and Gtx560ti is that-

GTX560-Shader units-336,Core clock-810 MHz.

GTX560ti-Shader units-384,Core clock-823 MHz and The ti version has a better cooling system than non ti version so the ocing results will be better.

#Ethan_Hunt-Since you're not gonna change the psu the best option for you would be Sapphire HD6870-11.7k,If you want to get better gpu then 500w psu is a mandatory requirement.
Unfortunately, waiting, is not an option. Got Mass Effect 3 coming up and some other titles too. I also forgot to mention, my current CPU is an E8400 @stock. I'm sure it will bottleneck the card, but I'm not planning to upgrade that at the moment.

In case of GTX560, which brand should I go for? What's the difference between GTX560 and the Ti version? I have 2 of these cards listed on Prime's website. The MSI GTX560 Twin Frozr OC retails for 13.5k ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II retails for 14.5k.

Yes with everything maxed out i mean,HD 6870 performs equally or slightly better than HD5870-http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290?vs=294 which is price almost double compared to hd6870,If you're getting HD6870 then get a new Seasonic S12ii 520w-3.6k by that way you can OC your HD6870 and achieve results as good as GTX560 non ti version OR the best way is sell your existing VX450 for 2k or more add 1k for psu and get the best deal GTX560ti+Seasonic S12ii 520w which will give you 40-45 fps maxed out.
30-35fps with everything maxed out I assume? Is it really slower than 5870?

Excellent! Thanks for laying out those options. So if I don't OC the 6870, my VX450 should be able to pull it off on stock?

I am actually upgrading Jasku. I was merely waiting for my card to die, as it had long surpassed it's lifetime. Though I'm not upgrading the other components, yet, I want to stay afloat with the current PC gaming scenario, with a decent card.
<

I am actually upgrading Jasku. I was merely waiting for my card to die, as it had long surpassed it's lifetime. Though I'm not upgrading the other components, yet, I want to stay afloat with the current PC gaming scenario, with a decent card.
<

Sure sir, I understand, I am in the same boat, but have changed the entire rig except my GPU, currently using the 4870. I was planning on getting the 7950, but he price has really ruined my upgrade, I also dont wanna go above 15k.

If you are upgrading, I suggest you buy a better card, 6950 / 560ti at the least.

If you are upgrading, I suggest you buy a better card, 6950 / 560ti at the least.

As much as I want to, pretty much everyone seems to negate these cards running on my current PSU. I didn't anticipate that and hence my budget would take a severe hit. Else, I can get the GTX560Ti now and invest in the PSU a month later. I'm sure my current PSU can hold it off till then.

Yes GTX560 Ti can keep you going at stock with your PSU . Also a good idea to save for PSU and get something like corsair TX650 or if you want modular one HX650 .

Also the ati / nvidia always mention the worst case scenarios with a lot of fans and cooling . Your power consumption would not touch anywhere near 400 W

1) GTX560 TI TDP 170W

2) Core 2 duo TDP 65W

3) Mobo + Fans can never reach remaining 215 W (Ofcourse if you don't install something like 15 fans ! LOL !)

Best Of Luck !
<

Back