Query : MDF vs Plywood - for Home Interior

mathrisk

.: deleted :.
Adept
I am researching for home interior and been talking to few vendors.

One thing I am really stuck on the material to choose - for the modular kitchen and wardrobes.
If to go for MDF (or HDF) or Plywood ?

AFAIK, the advantage MDF got over plywood is, with MDF there are more options for style/finish and some looks quite good actually.
But most of the vendors still tends to go for plywood stating it got better strength.

Internet is full with articles loathing MDF, with arguments like - not water resistant (swell up with little moister) or very weak (screws doesn't hold at all) etc. But one of the vendor showed me a piece of MDF immersed in water for 3/4 hours and nothing really happened. And also showed me a sturdy wardrobe made of MDF.

MDF, what the vendors showed me is different from the particle boards (Malaysian imported), of which even I got few furniture and they are indeed crap.

But still, I don't have first hand experience with MDF, neither anyone I know of. Everyone uses plywood like a thumb rule. Price wise both are almost the same.

As for now I am planning for plywood structure/skeleton and MDF finish (doors and sides).

Anyone have any input on the topic? Any info/suggestion are appreciated.

TIA.

I used MDF board for my kitchen and wardrobes. It seems to be holding up fine, been around five months. You get a good choice of laminate finish, and if you can: get veneer finish polish for the wardrobes. Use Hettich and Godrej channels and clasps. They are the best.

Here are final finished products. :)

WP_20160403_15_39_14_Pro_zpse3hjbgd7.jpg

WP_20160403_15_37_43_Pro_zpssbkoxlej.jpg

WP_20160403_15_39_28_Pro_zpskb1hkjjo.jpg

WP_20160403_15_37_24_Pro_zpsth0s9ydx.jpg

The key is: how you design the internals of the cupboard. Do it yourself, rather than have the carpenter design it. So you optimize space and make it modular, as well as keep it aesthetic.

For example:
1. My wardrobes are like ~10' high (due to high ceiling). So the upper compartments have no dividers, to fit in long objects like mattresses, airport style boxes.
2. The kitchen has door covered compartments to host the RO/instant water geyser. Cutouts placed for plumbing/electricals. Looks neat and clean.
3. The bathroom cupboards have "rested" horizontal compartment dividers, so on the fly you can increase the height.

The beveled wardrobes and inset kitchen cupboard door were our ideas. Look up websites to get good ideas. Just do not let the carpenter plonk what he deems fit.

I used MDF board for my kitchen and wardrobes. It seems to be holding up fine, been around five months. You get a good choice of laminate finish, and if you can: get veneer finish polish for the wardrobes. Use Hettich and Godrej channels and clasps. They are the best.

The key is: how you design the internals of the cupboard. Do it yourself, rather than have the carpenter design it. So you optimize space and make it modular, as well as keep it aesthetic.
The beveled wardrobes and inset kitchen cupboard door were our ideas. Look up websites to get good ideas. Just do not let the carpenter plonk what he deems fit.

Thanks for your reply.
Your stuffs are looking great. :)

Yeah, for channels etc, Hettich is what I think is the 'branded' one.

Are your products made at the site or factory made?
Some of the vendors I talked, have their own factory and being machine made the finish looks quite good. Specially the edges.

And yes, we will provide our own design for most. According to that, the vendor will show us the 3d design before proceeding.

Pinterest - is what I found quite useful for this kind of research. :)

- You need to have an excellent water seal in place with materials like MDF/Particle Boards. That's why people prefer Marine Plywood for kitchen. Those vendors use machines for edge banding, which give excellent finish and therefore, you can use MDF shutters for kitchen cabinets.

- Any kind of natural material (Plywood or real wood) needs to have similar kind of finish on both the sides. Otherwise it'll just warp. Finish need not to be exactly the same; like you don't have to put costly acrylic on both the sides. That's why, the plywood carcass is generally left without any finish. It's not going to be visible anyway.

One thing I am really stuck on the material to choose - for the modular kitchen and wardrobes.
If to go for MDF (or HDF) or Plywood ?
- Select the material according to usage and environment. MDF/Particle Boards need to be saved from moisture but they also are somewhat resistant to termites.

AFAIK, the advantage MDF got over plywood is, with MDF there are more options for style/finish and some looks quite good actually.
But most of the vendors still tends to go for plywood stating it got better strength.
- If you want everything strong and long lasting then use plywood only. You have so many finishing options with plywood that can easily surpass the range offered by MDF or similar readymade stuff. Examples: laminate/veneer/acrylic/polish/varnish/epoxy/enamel. But don't get too deep into it, otherwise it'll be difficult to make a choice. :p Just select something from broad categories such as Glossy, Satin, Matte, Mirror or Nude.

Internet is full with articles loathing MDF, with arguments like - not water resistant (swell up with little moister) or very weak (screws doesn't hold at all) etc.
It's all true.
But one of the vendor showed me a piece of MDF immersed in water for 3/4 hours and nothing really happened. And also showed me a sturdy wardrobe made of MDF.
It cannot be MDF. There are many plastic infused wooden boards available today that look like MDF and are quite resilient to water damage. But as they have some percentage of real wood, they are prone to all the issues faced by real wood. Moreover, you can coat a piece of MDF in enamel and keep it dunked in water till eternity. Key to saving MDF is to have a 100% water barrier. MDF with good coating can last really long.

Look at asingh's setup. Wardrobe and lower cabinets are resting on a flat surface, which gives support to MDF. Pedestal/Castor/Feet mounted MDF boards buckle over time. Also, the whole setup is not touching the floor, which helps in avoiding water damage from mopping.

MDF, what the vendors showed me is different from the particle boards (Malaysian imported), of which even I got few furniture and they are indeed crap.
Particle Board is an entirely different material. But both MDF and Particle boards have low load bearing capacity.

As for now I am planning for plywood structure/skeleton and MDF finish (doors and sides).
^^ Stick with this idea.

Thanks for your reply.
Your stuffs are looking great. :)

Yeah, for channels etc, Hettich is what I think is the 'branded' one.

Are your products made at the site or factory made?
Some of the vendors I talked, have their own factory and being machine made the finish looks quite good. Specially the edges.

And yes, we will provide our own design for most. According to that, the vendor will show us the 3d design before proceeding.

Pinterest - is what I found quite useful for this kind of research. :)

Mine were made on the site, manually by a bunch of carpenters. Factory made finish will obviously be better.

Just set up a new home. I have heard bad things from my carpenters about MDF and Particle boards. Over a period of time, they tend loosen(wood dust) and separate with the exterior layer, screws loosening out, etc.. I would recommend a Plywood anyday, preferably Pine wood based plywoods for the doors and neem wood for the structures(Neem wood are known to be terminate resistant). Also, kindly check the local market around you and try to get the not so expensive Plywood like Century, Green Ply. Stick to a good mid brands which will be Rs.15-20 per Sq.Feet lesser than the above brands giving you same quality. Also, stick to waterproof based Plywood for Kitchen. I got this brand called H-PLY for my house in Bangalore. It was about Rs.73/Sq.Feet for Normal and Rs.83/Sq.Feet for Water proof plywood.
http://www.msupply.com/carpentry/plywood/h-boards-and-ply-mr-grade-12mm-neem-ply-8x4-ft.html
Hope this helps.

I don't know about Kitchens, but I will be using Cement based Boards like Bison Lam for all my outdoor needs as they are truly for all weather use. For kitchen cabinets and stuff we are using Deodar wood for frames and glass/ground glass to provide a more open/airy feel to the kitchen.

Back