Android Queries related to Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

raksrules

Elite
Opening this thread because i believe we may have many users of Nexus 7 on TE due to the flipkart sale and moreover the tablet itself being very good.
I own 2012 version but 2013 people can also pitch in for sure.
So few queries i have are.. (may be same as my other thread)

1. Suggest a good case that you may be using and costs under 1 K. Not really interested in spending a lot on the case but it would be good if all the ports are accessible, made for nexus 7 would be good.

2. What can things can be done with the OTG Functionality (with and without root) and what apps are needed for them ?

3. How do i get maximum battery life in daily use (for me). As i have mentioned i intend to use the tablet more for watching videos and i will turn on wifi only at home that too not always. I plan to keep the tablet in airplane mode when watching videos and turning it off after i am done with it. Won't be keeping on standby etc.
So any other tips to get maximum battery life ? I am ok with disabling unnecessary services.

4. Is MX player the best player out there for playing different format videos or there are other good options i am not aware about.

More questions as i remember,Others can post their own queries or give answers.

3) Don't use services which are not essential (plus use standard wallpapers, reduce screen brightness, set shorter sleep time out, turn bluetooth, wi-fi off when not using, etc) - for root users Greenify is a good app
4) Dice player, VLC, BS player, Archos Video Player Free are also equally good but will boil down to what works for your device better

2. What can things can be done with the OTG Functionality (with and without root) and what apps are needed for them ?
without root u can access pen drive with "nexus media importer" which is paid
if u wana use free app to access ,then u have to root n use stick mount to access to pen drive /3G dongle and other thing

BSPlayer ,its quite good

Not really a review per we but in 2 days light usage..

Compared to iPad it will take me time to get used to smaller size.
Touch and smoothness is still not iPad level (no offense to android and nexus lovers).
I miss many things that I do in my jailbroken iPad, swipe up to show task switcher, pull to refresh is most missed and tap status bar to go to top.
Still getting used to android.

These are only personal opinions and since I have used iPad for long time, I am doing this comparison but when it comes to price nexus 7 wins.

Btw installed various movie players and now testing which suits me best for interface, gestures and such.

As of now i am handling the tablet like a baby because it neither has screen guard nor case so I am too scared to harm it or get scratches. Will hopefully get them on Monday.

No rooting or anything for now. I like the fact that I have to store all my videos in one location only unlike iOS devices where I have to store under specific directory of that particular app.

Not really a review per we but in 2 days light usage..

Compared to iPad it will take me time to get used to smaller size.
Touch and smoothness is still not iPad level (no offense to android and nexus lovers).
I miss many things that I do in my jailbroken iPad, swipe up to show task switcher, pull to refresh is most missed and tap status bar to go to top.
Still getting used to android.

These are only personal opinions and since I have used iPad for long time, I am doing this comparison but when it comes to price nexus 7 wins.

Btw installed various movie players and now testing which suits me best for interface, gestures and such.

As of now i am handling the tablet like a baby because it neither has screen guard nor case so I am too scared to harm it or get scratches. Will hopefully get them on Monday.

No rooting or anything for now. I like the fact that I have to store all my videos in one location only unlike iOS devices where I have to store under specific directory of that particular app.
Music Player - MX Player
File Explorer - Root/ES/Solid
Gestures any and every possible + x custom = GMD Gesture Control Pro
Pie controls if you want to remove the bottom bar..
I dont think there is anything you can do on jailbroken ios that you wont be able to do on rooted android

remember for nexus devices you dont have to install a custom rom...since the base is so good just unlock the bootloader and root it

@msankadi

MX Player installed for video, along with Dice player, Archos Video player, BS Player, Vplayer, VLC.
ES Explorer is installed, not rooted nexus as of now and not really planning to.
Gestures is more important for me only in video apps for brightness and volume, don't really want system wide gestures. But will check this.
Bottom bar gets removed in videos so i am ok with it.
Yes in fact even a jailbroken iOS is less capable than a rooted android. I know that is correct but just that since i am long term iOS user, transition to android is not that straightforward.

I am not going to install any custom ROMs or anything. Rooting is also last option.

has anyone used this as a music-player with your bookshelves/floorstanders or any other speakers?!

for music player i would highly recommend buying poweramp player from the market...it is by far the best player

for something more of an eyecandy you can look into n7player as well

for music player i would highly recommend buying poweramp player from the market...it is by far the best player

for something more of an eyecandy you can look into n7player as well

alright. thanks! i would use the N7 with a 3rd-party Squeezebox controlling app to play music through my Logitech Squeezebox Classic, as well as using N7 with poweramp and N7player directly connected to amp, and report back here with my own observations on the DAC of the N7 then.

Is there any way to make the scrolling smooth on nexus 7 ?
In chrome and tapatalk it is jerky. Sorry I am comparing with iPad and I feel it is jittery here. Any way to make it smooth ?

^ What do you really mean by making scroll smooth ?

One thing I'd like to say, that iOS (interface) is made in such a way, that no matter what the touch surface (hardware) is used, the touch appears to be smoother than android.

Also, chrome on android is not optimised, at least I feel that. Instead, I use the stock browser/Opera Mini.

Using MX player for Videos, have some queries...

1. Which decoder should i use for best battery life ? I believe it should be HW decoder and not SW right ? But then what is HW+ decoder ?
2. The MX player automatically plays the next file in the list and i cannot find any place to uncheck this. Not sure what i am missing. How to not have this automatic next play feature ?

^^
1) Mobile devices are much slower than PC as of yet, and thus it may often have trouble playing high-definition video using CPU only. Manufacturers therefore install multimedia chipsets to assist video decoding process specifically. H/W decoder is using these chipsets to play videos whereas S/W decoder only uses CPU to play them.

H/W decoder plays video(s) using stock media framework whereas H/W+ decoder plays video using MX Player's own media framework. In general, H/W+ decoder can play more videos than H/W decoder. However, some devices may not support H/W+ yet and some videos may not be played properly.

Volume can be increased up to 200% and background playback feature can be utilized with H/W+ decoder.
H/W+ decoder is disabled by default but can be activated on Settings > Decoder screen. This activation menu will not show up on unsupported devices.

2) Instead of playing media from MX Player's interface, use a file manager like ES Explorer to play a media file. It will only play the file you need to play.

The ES Explorer is a good idea but only problem i see is that if i leave a video in middle and come back on ES explorer and play that, it may start from beginning. Have to check that first.

I have n7 for more than an yr now. And would recommend every owner to root it before using it. There are toolkits who do all the scripting job. So unlocking bootloader and rooting will only take 10 mins (when u have ADB drivers ready which is kinda headache). Unlocking bootloader and rooting formats the device so its better to do it before starting setting up all apps on it. While using android eventually u will admin previledges (root) for even little modifications to system. So better have it from start only. Also there is absolutely no harm. U can easily revert to factory condition.

@Harpy.eagle

Some information i got from rooting is that..

1. You can use apps like titanium backup to take backup of your stuff.
2. Can use stickmount app to access pen drive OTG
3. Can use USB 3G Dongle.

What else is rooting needed for ?

Because for my use for now, i do not really see any need of rooting but yes there may be users who do more with their tablets and they may require it to be rooted.

Aren't first 3 reasons good enough for u too for rooting?

Anyway, i didnt like space wasted in onscreen buttons, specially when browsing in landscape mode. Becoz address bar, browser buttons already takes space and these on-screen buttons are too much. So if you need to reduce their width or install PIE control or use fullscreen app which minimizes screen space consumed in these buttons, u need root.

Basically, any modifications to system need admin rights/ root. If u use it with all ur apps on tab, and then root, it will wipe ur device and will require installing all apps over again. So better do initially only. There is no harm in just rooting.

For service in warranty though tablet has to be in unrooted and bootloader locked mode, which is not a big deal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back