Linux [Q] VPN on Amazon ec2 (Ubuntu)

blueren

Adept
Hi All,

I managed to set up a vpn (PPTP) on a free ec2 instance on AWS by following the below tutorials (Both are almost identical) However, after a few mins, I'm unable to reconnect back to the vpn until I do a host reboot. I'm not sure what's going on. How do I troubleshoot this? I'm quite new to the way pptp works over this and am not really sure about what the logs say or where they even are. /sys/logs/ dosn't have much. Either that or it's not making sense to me at the moment.

Any help would be welcome!

Links:

http://www.yzhang.net/blog/2013-03-07-pptp-vpn-ec2.html

I was wondering why you did not switch to L2TP, so great that you finally did.

As for not using OpenVPN, it would require an additional software configuration on most devices, which the OP may have wanted to avoid.

btw just curious, why not openvpn? :|

I was wondering why you did not switch to L2TP, so great that you finally did.

As for not using OpenVPN, it would require an additional software configuration on most devices, which the OP may have wanted to avoid.

All of the above. Plus, free VPNs available out there are super slow and god knows what or where all your data goes. Besides, I for now only use the VPN to sign into spotify. It seems to throw me out every once in a few days telling me that I'm in the wrong location :p

but think you will get charged if you use too much IO ie Bandwidth . i m no t sue about it though

I think the free tier has a 15GB bandwidth. Authenticating spotify takes what <<< 1 MB. Besides, I've set up bells and alarms to notify me :) What next? probably set up a CS server on the instance :D

Back