[PSU] Gigabyte PSU RMA second time

SkullSmazer

Disciple
Hi, I had bought a Gigabyte P850GM 80+ Gold PSU back in November while building my PC. But it was having some issues and got it RMAed for UD850GM in Jan this year.
Since then I had been playing games casually but yesterday while playing Rocket League I got a black screen and checked my PC parts did a paper clip test on PSU and found it at fault. So I will send it for RMA once again.

Should I consider selling the new RMA unit as it arrives and look for some other PSU or should I keep and use the RMA one only? For consideration as per gigabyte this should be under warranty for another 4 years (5 years total). A new PSU will not be cheap as I was looking for some modular ones and they go around 8k but I do not want to cause issues in my system just because of PSU being faulty.

I have an inverter at my house although not directly connected to the computer so power outages (not frequent) shouldn't damage it too much?

I wouldn't trust Gigabyte with PSUs. So try to sell that and if you want to save some money buy a used PSU from here but from a better brand. If not then you can always buy new.
Also an outage should never damage your components but if PSU switch is left on and the power comes back with higher voltage that could damage components.

Use a UPS if your inverter doesn't have pure sine wave output or can't handle the load of your PC, can be 400W+ easily for mid-range build, incl. monitor (25W for 1440p).

As mentioned earlier, Gigabyte have a bad reputation in PSUs. Buy a new one if you can.

Based on your rig, you might not even need 850W (unless you have like 3090/4090 with i7/i9). Specs?

I have 750w ones.....never had issues.....850w were the worst hit and most failures gigabyte rep told itself.....mine had issue only once then never been almost 2+ yrs now and i'm using 3 of these in different system

Based on your rig, you might not even need 850W (unless you have like 3090/4090 with i7/i9). Specs?
CPU - 12400
GPU - 6800xt
4 case fans
1tb 2.5" SSD, 1tb M.2 SSD
Deepcool ak620 CPU cooler
16Gb RAM
1440p monitor

Use a UPS if your inverter doesn't have pure sine wave output or can't handle the load of your PC,
Is there a way to check this?
I have 750w ones.....never had issues.....850w were the worst hit and most failures gigabyte rep told itself.....mine had issue only once then never been almost 2+ yrs now and i'm using 3 of these in different system
750W are also Gigabyte PSUs?
I wouldn't trust Gigabyte with PSUs. So try to sell that and if you want to save some money buy a used PSU from here but from a better brand. If not then you can always buy new.
Also an outage should never damage your components but if PSU switch is left on and the power comes back with higher voltage that could damage components.
How much do you think Gigabyte UG850 fully modular can go for? I bought it around 6700 a year back

Last edited:
I owned a 550w gigabyte for 13yrs and it was rock solid until I sold it here last year.
Seems their 850w batch is problematic and its common across brands for either of their products.

Get an antec or corsair by selling your rma unit.

Yes.....have 450w bronze, 550w bronze and 650w bronze working in servers 24*7 like rock solid machine without fail.....never had issues in them....750w had to replace once but it didn't stop when using....but didn't start one day...got it replaced and is working good since then

CPU - 12400
GPU - 6800xt
4 case fans
1tb 2.5" SSD, 1tb M.2 SSD
Deepcool ak620 CPU cooler
16Gb RAM
1440p monitor

Is there a way to check this?

How much do you think Gigabyte UG850 fully modular can go for? I bought it around 6700 a year back
750W gold PSU is enough for your rig, even considering future upgrades. Undervolt GPU to get same performance at lower power usage. My 3070 at stock draws 220-240W on average but after UV it is 160-190W on most games, very few games make it consume 190W+ consistently.

Check your inverter specs.

Can they do this in RMA? Also it is not near to my house so I cannot go, I have shipped the PSU to them as they asked that's how I got it RMAed last time as well
A bit more difficult if it's shipped to them.. but try writing to them and see. I have seen people get Aorus 850 as replacement of P850. A lot is on luck (staff, stock and you being a bit adamant). Good luck

Get 750W gold to keep some headroom. Even 4080 has 750W as recommended requirement. Unless you plan to get the flagship CPU and/or GPU, 850W PSUs are overkill for most.

I calculated by PC power usage with outervision and it recommended 550W. So I think for the least I can go with 650W or 700W PSU right?

Also would like some opinions on https://www.pcshop.in/product/ant-esports-vs700l/ and https://www.pcshop.in/product/clarion-800-watt-power-supply/ are these real? Mainly the clarion 800W one that's too good for the price?
650w is fine for any GPU that draws upto 250w (your 6800 XT), since you've got a power efficient CPU as well. Just make sure to undervolt your GPU, you'll get a noticeable drop in power draw without any loss in frames. There are plenty of tutorials for this on YT.

The PSUs that you linked are even more dangerous than your Gigabyte PSU. Avoid them, and go with a PSU from a more reputable brand. I'd recommend the XPG Pylon or Cooler Master MWE V2 on a budget, or the XPG Core Reactor for a solid and premium PSU.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sQFnoECBUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0-hpGNc15QnkzikA6JC59O - Use this list as a reference, I would not go below Tier B (mentioned XPG Pylon since it has plenty of tests online)

Last edited:
Back