PC Peripherals PSU decision time - need suggestions pls

Spectre

Skilled
Hi Folks,
I am having CM 600W SMPS working it perfect condition, but now I am thinking if its right to replace that with a Corsair HX620 or TX650 specially for the efficiency part leading to lesser current bills and future proof

AMD X2 4000, 8800GTS 640, 2GB DDR2, 1 SATA HDD, 1 DVD RW
I would be upgrading after sometime, so is the above PSU change justified or i should retain my CM 600W

Also, i have read the thread HX vs TX but it had many different views, Would like to know which one to go for specially for a gaming system

PS: I wont install more than 1 HDD,1DVD writer or any LED fans on my PC

I dont think you need to upgrade your PSU right now.

What kind of upgrades are you planning for your system in the future?

Between the HX620 or the TX650 there wont be too much of a difference with actual use, probably pick HX620 if you like modular cables :hap2:

yup stick with your CM though as far as efficiency is concerned it's also good later when you have more load go for it

Simple thing to do will be upgrade the PSU when you upgrade everything ....

No point spending money now when you are running a stable system.....

Though i am obsessive about good psus, sometimes i do follow the rule of "don't try to mend it if its ain't broken". :p
Unless you have a Mercury, intex, iball, zebronics platinum or any kind of other yucky stuff. :ashamed:

The CM600 may not be great compared to even a Corsair VX450 but for your rig, you are ok for now. :)

IMHO, stay put and all the best. :)

Thanks everyone...I will hold back my purchase

But thinking on the lines that PSU's prices wont go down much and selling a CM600 with warranty will have a better resale value now that later...makes me thinking....
What u say :)

hmm, u r right! If ur PSU is still under warranty i guess u can get Rs 2.5K, if u hve rest of bucks ready, yeh go ahead..:D:

+1 to eveyone's suggestion and ur decision of holding back. As a rule AMD based systems eat less power. Even a very loose estimate of ur rig would put it's peak power consumption at not more than 450W, so CM 600 is more than enough.

muzux2 said:
hmm, u r right! If ur PSU is still under warranty i guess u can get Rs 2.5K, if u hve rest of bucks ready, yeh go ahead..:D:

dude...i am thinking on the same lines...very confused...in a dilemma now...

I have the bucks but thinking will it be a good spending now...or wasting...

Few folks have suggested to hold and I respect their opinions...but I am thinking on the resale value of my old one and the lack of price depreciation of PSU's, so instead of buying six months down the line, if I buy it now...

Hope other folks also put themselves in my shoes and say what will they do :)

What the heck...sell it and buy a new PSU thn... what I was trying to stop you from doing is buying h/w which you don't need currently.....which I do a lot...

So i am out of cash all the time.....:bleh:

If you think buying now when you can get a good value for ur CM600 is good thn do it and get a TX650 or HX620 and be a happy soul

See, as far as the current trends are, if you put aside the wattage and efficiency of the psu-s, some more things are to be considered. Primary among them is power pins. Let me explain. Till a couple of years back psu-s came with 20-pin mobo connecters, technology changed, now all mobos have 24 pins so do the newer psu-s. So on the mobo side we will probably not see any change in near future. But the gfx market is volatile. The new gfx cards use a 6-pin power connecter from the psu along with the power it eats from the mobo. That is also fixed on the new psu-s. In between some gfx cards came out with 8 pin connectors which still now are not there on psu-s. Luckily the trend is again back on 6 pin connectors but the newest HD 4870 has not one but two 6 pin connectors!! Though a lot of psu-s out there do have 2(super enthusiast level psu-s have even more) six pin connectors but they included it with the thought that in case of SLI or CF, 2 cards can be run simaltaneously. My point is we do not know what is coming next and since mobo and gfx power requirments drive psu design and not the other way round, ur decision of buying a psu should be driven by those components. Imagine you spending 6-7K now for a psu and 9 to 12 months later ur next upgrade again calls for a new psu. That would be wastage of money.
Still the call is urs. If you really want to spend money do it on some other components maybe, but at this point for u to get a new psu might not be the most prudent of decsions.

dont see why connectors should affect his purchase decison.. convertors are avail for all connectors anyway.

@pcgamer. i would suggest you keep the doh somewhere safe and spend it once you actually NEED it. not coz you WANT to spend

sTALKEr said:
dont see why connectors should affect his purchase decison.. convertors are avail for all connectors anyway.

@pcgamer. i would suggest you keep the doh somewhere safe and spend it once you actually NEED it. not coz you WANT to spend

The point was not connectors, it was an example of rapid change and volatility in technology. The point was what should drive a psu upgrade decision.

and my point is, power supply's are too integral to a computer to undergo a revolutionary change.

it aint like u will be using cable less or self power generating power supplys in a few years time. that wont happen for decades :p

the best you could expect would be higher effeciency, reliability. they will not be innovating at the extremes man. all they will do is make the current tech better. not redo the whole thing

no pt in gettin a psu now.......cm 600w is more than enough...also wtever changes there r converters available except some revolutionary chng...

but on other hand psu prices doesnt droop much as other components...bt
still y to get another wen u hav a decent one:D

get it later wen u upgrade....:D

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have decided to push back my PSU purchase till end of this year, when i upgrade to a good proccy and GFX card avbl during that time...
I think, this time, it would be ATI

Till then CM 600W should serve the purpose.

Back