project guidance

amey_dude

Disciple
Hello everyone ! I am doing a project on mobile (J2ME). The concept is locate a cell phone using only the number. The application will send an sms to other mobile which give its location. but i want to do it automated. ie the sms should not be read by the user. it should be automatically scanned and acknowledge it.
Please guide on this constraint...

Im not sure if this is feasible unless you have some administrative privileges of the operator. Usually cell phones are tracked by triangulation techniques i.e gathering your location from 2-3places and ascertaining where you might be located (at least this was the case, not sure any better means are available).

Similarly Im not that sure of getting the location of the cell after sending a sms (unless the service provider is giving any such information). If you have any means already thought about, please enlighten us (just for that itch :))

For getting the CELL ID... you will have to use the JSR 179 API.... however.... another problem is matching the cell id with each location.... for tht ull have to contact a mobile service provider....for their database....which ull have to try really hard to get....
anyways... is ur project based to mobile tracking.. as in when the mobile is lost or something it sends an sms to the user telling him where exactly the mobile is??

i doubt tht will be possible with the JSR 179 API...
lemme know wat exactly u trying to do... as in wats the actual purpose of ur project....

Actually, its not about stolen mobile. Basically, consider the following case. There is a sales manager, who wants to locate his salesman for time to time. So this system will contain a web server. The manager will send msg using sms or grps (not actually thought abt it) to the web server. The server will try to communicate with the respective salesman's mobile. The software will also be installed in the salesman's mobile. The software will acknowledge by sending the currrent location of the mobile. The web server will take this location and map it in google maps which can be viewed by the manager.

I hv searched and found the JSR 179 API. But it can used only with GPS (actually i dont hv any idea as i am new to j2me ) as others said.

So is there any api tht can give directly the cell location which is displayed on our mobile.

Also even i am able to get the database from the operator, still it will be restricted to that operator only na ??

I really doubt that this is even possible, how does a mobile know its location ? As stated above, unless u have something on mobile operator ( like nearest tower id or some thing ) you can't pin point it's approximate location . This might be possible with GPS enabled phones though, so you should look into that . You can also go for a little bit manual method, provided that sales man will actually enter proper location when he get's message from boss :p .

If you're an expert, the most you'll be able to find out without having Administrator privileges is the text that comes from the "Cell Info". That's about it.

Avtar said:
If you're an expert, the most you'll be able to find out without having Administrator privileges is the text that comes from the "Cell Info". That's about it.

Let it be only text that comes from "Cell info", but the question is how to get it ??

All right buddy, here's the deal. It's not legal to precisely be able to get the location of a cell phone like that. The Cell Info display is stored in a variable, and is definitely retrievable, the only problem with it being that it changes ever so often. And if the cell phone is passing the crosspath of two signal towers of a cell phone service provider, you'll get a fluctuating value, therefore crashing your application, I've seen it happen on another one.

I'd advise you to leave out the tracing part.

Back