CPU/Mobo Processor overheating problem!

Lokeshsetty

Disciple
Mar 31, 2007
I am using a p4 2.4 GHz processor with a 845 gigabyte chipset. The SMPS is 400w and all the three fans (one in SMPS, the processor fan and the system fan) are functioning well. I have had this over heating problem for some time now and its really irritating as the PC reboots by its own at times. The PC health status in BIOs shows the temperature around 70 degree celcius (don't ask me how). I found out that applying the thermal paste would help. I found out there are 2 types of thermal paste available. The ceramic based Silicon pastes and the other one is the metallic based thermal pastes (like arctic silver). Also the price of these pastes and they range between Rs. 200 to Rs. 450. I am in a dilemma coz for this price i can actually buy the new CPU fan! I want to if there is any other way to get a grainful of thermal paste for lesser price as it would be a waste for me to buy the entire tube of it.

geek ashish

Adept
Nov 25, 2005
Mumbai
first of all check the CPU FAN RPM when the CPU is hot, say 60+.
If the RPM is okay then you don't need new fan. Just buy a good metallic thermal paste and use it properly.

After some time, the original paste becomes dry and it can not conduct the heat to heat sink and fan. This must be the case with ur CPU

kekerode

Adept
Jul 29, 2009
^ i got thermal paste which came with my megahalems laying no use. so if you r in thane/mumbai then u can get it from me for free

Lokeshsetty

Disciple
Mar 31, 2007
^ So kind of u, but unfortunately i am from Bangalore.. Thanks anyway.

Thanks Ashish, infact i must have mentioned, even though the CPU fan is working properly, the speed in BIOS shows it as 0 rpm :S

pretttt

Skilled
May 14, 2009
Bangalore
hey Lokesh,
if you live near Rajajinagar(Modi Hospital), you can borrow the tube of TX3 that I have... PM me if interested.

But I'll be busy whole day today, so u can take it tomorrow only...