Printer and Rasp pi

_Alucard_

Disciple
So I've a hp printer , whose control panel screen is dead. Only way i can take out printouts is to connect to printer's wifi and print the document .
Recently got a rasp pi, which is connected to home network via wifi , can it be used to connect to printer so it will be accessible to all devices in home network ?

ports on printer are a usb-b and lan , can it be done, and if so, which port can be used to do so ?
currently Ive neither of these cable, so cant test it out

If printer have LAN port, why not connect LAN cable directly from printer to your LAN ?
Why RPi is needed ?

Meanwhile, I think you can enable CUPS on Linux running on RPi.

sadly my router is just too far away from printer location ( router being outside my room )
i will require like 10m cable to connect printer directly, basically last resort, as house design will also make that very difficult

Use dietpi os and install CUPS on the pi.

Use dietpi os and install CUPS on the pi.
umm software side is not the problem, im asking about the connection part

via cables

Router -> wifi -> rpi-> usb-> printer
Will work pretty well. Might take a little more time to trf doc to print over wifi but should work fine. Check if someone else has use same printer with CUPS

@OP - mistake you have done is not configuring the printer to talk to your wifi.

2 ways to do this

1. Connect to the printer (self hosted) wifi with your laptop, check the IP of gateway and connect to that IP in browser, will open printer config page, and configure it to connect to your wifi as a client (it is now in station mode). once properly setup, it will show up to all devices
2. Connect to printer via USB and use the HP software to connect it to your wifi (same as above, different UI)

All other solutions are not needed.

It was configured, but then we shifted to a new place, so wifi ssid changed, and then screen died in transport as well. Earlier i set it up using printer screen only , wasnt aware printer also has router like settings accessible through ip. Till now i was using printer wifi only, so wasnt much bothered about it

Back