Prime Video Ads Are Coming On January 29, Amazon Announces To Subscribers

Mr.J

Skilled
Amazon announced in September that ads were on the way for Prime Video‘s entertainment content. Now we have a date.

On January 29, commercials will be introduced to series and movies airing on the service in the U.S., UK, Germany and Canada. That will be followed by France, Italy, Spain, Mexico, and Australia later in the year.

The move was announced in a letter sent to subscribers that described the addition of what was termed “limited advertisements” to allow the service “to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time.”

Once frowned upon by streamers, a dual subscription-ad model — and the dual revenue stream that comes with it — has become the norm. With Amazon Prime adopting ads across its entire content portfolio on the heels of Netflix and Disney+ introducing ad tiers, Apple TV+ remains the only major streaming platform to employ a pure subscription model.

I guess we will see this in India by 2025?

This is also why I don't argue with people who think instead of using adblockers, we should pay YouTube.
I see these things like stocks, you hold on to it until its good and seems worth, at the end, your profit is your experience, nothing is permanent and nothing ever will be, ones who hopped on the train when the tickets were cheaper, will at least have better experience overall for longer time than the ones who joined late at higher price or didn't join at all.

Similar situation -
I am currently looking for a webservice from AWS for my work, because it's prices are attractive, and I know in future amazon will raise them up, I have to be prepared in an event where it goes out of my budget or some other provider starts giving it at lesser price, I have to take steps now so that the transition in the future will be less troublesome.

Rather than swimming go by the ship by paying small fee, also be ready to jump ship when you feel things are going south. Easy as that.

I see these things like stocks, you hold on to it until its good and seems worth, at the end, your profit is your experience, nothing is permanent and nothing ever will be, ones who hopped on the train when the tickets were cheaper, will at least have better experience overall for longer time than the ones who joined late at higher price or didn't join at all.

Similar situation -
I am currently looking for a webservice from AWS for my work, because it's prices are attractive, and I know in future amazon will raise them up, I have to be prepared in an event where it goes out of my budget or some other provider starts giving it at lesser price, I have to take steps now so that the transition in the future will be less troublesome.

Rather than swimming go by the ship by paying small fee, also be ready to jump ship when you feel things are going south. Easy as that.
good that now we have 3 cloud players and a lot of Telco's provide infra as service .my constant suggestions to enterprise is use cloud for some initial deployment test phase , number crunching and some hosting etc. or area wherein scalability is utmost and is a business necessity. people moving everything on cloud equates to i dont want to take responsibility and i want a fat paycheck being in management with fancy position names.

Three dollars per month is a small amount for most people who use these platforms. I think most users will pay that amount to have an advertisement-free experience.

Three dollars per month is a small amount for most people who use these platforms. I think most users will pay that amount to have an advertisement-free experience.
1703727039049.png

It's not a question of affordability. It's a question of corporate greed.
No matter how much you are willing to pay, they can and will get extra income by advertising.
Until a 100% tax is imposed beyond a particular profit amount, everyone will try to grow like cancer.

This is also why I don't argue with people who think instead of using adblockers, we should pay YouTube.

Doesn't matter how much these greedy aholes are earning. Sooner or later, they will make the user experience worse and raise the prices.

Enshittification must continue to make quarterly profits go up.
Enshittification is the reason that I haven't taken up Prime membership for the first time since Amazon came to India. Their value proposition has been declining steadily. I have no idea why they advertise one and two day deliveries because I haven't received those for a long time as a Prime member, apart from 1 out of 10 items available in the local warehouse.

I never really used Prime video but moving content towards renting and now ads make it even less worthwhile. Prime gaming was okay for the free games but none that I really ever needed.

Switched to ordering directly from stores that have even a minimal online presence and it is amazin how overpriced most items are on Amazon. Even otherwise, ordering 2-3 items together to cross the 500 threshold for free delivery of occasional items and receiving them in the same 3-4 days is not even a barrier.
View attachment 186518

It's not a question of affordability. It's a question of corporate greed.
No matter how much you are willing to pay, they can and will get extra income by advertising.
Until a 100% tax is imposed beyond a particular profit amount, everyone will try to grow like cancer.
It is not only a matter of profitablity as most of these platforms are registering record profits at the back of their largest layoffs. The toxic part is about pleasing shareholders who can only be satisfied by continuous measures that are perceived to lower costs and increase revenues, value to the customer be damned. It is really stupid that stock markets have become the vanguard of economic value now instead of actual value trickling down to the common people.

prime video has like 2-3 shows worth watching. I have prime just for the delivery, because I order a lot. Honestly, I don't see why anyone would buy just prime video, when you can get access to those shows in far better quality illegally.

Prime Video and other services might be "legal" but they certainly are not ethical - they can remove shows/movies on a whim, especially those that you paid and "bought". And you don't even get a refund when that happens. In fact it is more profitable for them to move content to a new channel/platform that has additional fee, so you pay for the same stuff twice.

I'm already getting something ads in between when I was watching a movie on prime video. I guess they have already started A/B testing.

Amazon prime already sucks.
Wanted to watch Harry Potter with kids on new year eve and even with prime membership Amazon wanted me to rent the movie for 119.
That's ridiculous given we're already paying for prime membership.
Many good old movies are not playable without paying rent of 119.

Wanted to watch Harry Potter with kids on new year eve and even with prime membership Amazon wanted me to rent the movie for 119.
That's ridiculous given we're already paying for prime membership.
Many good old movies are not playable without paying rent of 119.
Off topic, but HP are all available on JioCinema.
While unfortunate, it is true. All the stuff they list are not available to a Prime subscriber. Many are behind a paywall.

Thanks didn't know about this.
BTW for PC at least for me uBlock Origin works just fine. I see no ads while watching any content.
I didnt get any ads ON TV, when I was using my PC as hotspot with Connectify software. (PC in my room was connected via ethernet to main router)
Now PC is connected to internet via 2 routers..
So all ads are back..

Not sure, what was embedded in Connectify software (I used lifetime pro paid license)

Anti-customer decisions like these will just push more people towards piracy.
Remember what GabeN said about piracy being a service problem.

Atleast prime membership still has some value with Amazon shopping & Kindle.

It's like the history is repeating itself. If we will be seeing ads even after paying for the subscription, how is it any different from the cable TV's we used to have OR dish TV's that's still very common.

With set top boxes having features like recording episode, reminders etc, i think i would switch back to them if they have the same content. Coz it seems like the content is the only thing keeping these services alive.

Back