Monitors Please suggest new monitor!

rshri

Adept
Want to replace my many years old 19 inch CRT monitor. Please provide suggestions.
What to go for - LCD or LED?
Size - as big as possible. Budget - 15K+
Resolution - 720p is fine for me, no need for full HD
Usage - Browsing, picture viewing, office work (documents) and Skype/Yahoo video chats. Occasionally movies but no gaming.

I usually like to have big text, so I keep resolution low (My 19 inch CRT monitor is set at 800 X 600). Is it possible to have resolution lower than native in LCD/LEDs? Is display quality good at lower resolution?

Ideally, monitor should be set to its native res. In case you want bigger fonts, a better option would be to increase the dpi.

Anyways, the Dell U2311 would be a good option. It's IPS panel with 1920x1080, which is really what you should be going for in this day and age. Should come for about 14k.

Actually, I don't like the displays with increased DPIs. Looks very weird to me. I would rather go for lowest possible resolution on a largest possible screen to keep text size equivalent to my 19 inch 800 X 600 display. Any suggestions?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I looked this up on internet. Apparently, lowering LCD's resolution below its native resolution produces poor display. So new monitor essentially implies smaller text display which is not acceptable to me. I have therefore decided to stick with my 19" CRT till it becomes unusable. Maybe after a couple of years or so, I will buy a 28 inch full HD monitor :)

+1 for the dell 2311 ultrasharp ..its is just 23" but will make you smile with its quality .

else get the 26 " form acer / aoc they must be around the same price...but you will not get the same quality as the dell ultrasharp ! :)

I have myself heard pretty good things about Dell 2311 ultrasharp. I will check them out in the market in weekend. As I have mentioned before - the only thing holding me out from buying is small text display in HD resolution. I will verify it myself on 23-24 inch monitor and then make a decision.

I love my Dell U2311H just bought one last week...and it blows me away by the picture quality everyday when I watch a new movie :)

Personally I dont find the text size a big factor especially since you can increase it to as much as you want...and thats not a con of this monitor anyways but of all HD res in general

MnVn

As you already know, I want to buy biggest size monitor with lowest possible resolution to keep text size big without increasing DPI. I was thinking - how about buying a 32 inch TV and using it as monitor. They have low resolution compared to size. What do you think?

rshri said:
I have myself heard pretty good things about Dell 2311 ultrasharp. I will check them out in the market in weekend. As I have mentioned before - the only thing holding me out from buying is small text display in HD resolution. I will verify it myself on 23-24 inch monitor and then make a decision.
You can always select the bigger font size for normal usage if you are not comfortable with normal font. I think windows will allow to choose your preferred font size.

Don't bother about text and go for U2311H suggested by everyone.

swordfish said:
Is there anything decent around 6 7k?
Extend your budget to 7.5K and you can get a 22" inch BenQ G2200HD (full HD, 21.5" screen space) -- good quality entry-level screen.
OR

if 7K is maximum then go for the Samsung B2033 -- (20" screen space, 1600 x 900 screen resolution) OR Acer H203H ~ 6.6K. Hope this helps bruv.

Want to replace my many years old 19 inch CRT monitor. Please provide suggestions.
What to go for - LCD or LED?
Size - as big as possible. Budget - 15K+
Resolution - 720p is fine for me, no need for full HD
Usage - Browsing, picture viewing, office work (documents) and Skype/Yahoo video chats. Occasionally movies but no gaming.

I usually like to have big text, so I keep resolution low (My 19 inch CRT monitor is set at 800 X 600). Is it possible to have resolution lower than native in LCD/LEDs? Is display quality good at lower resolution?

For your purpose go for the Dell U2311H monitor -- not the biggest screen around, but due to IPS technology simply crushes its opposition in the quality department. -- 13.5K UltraSharp U2311H 23 inch Monitor Details

If not this go for BenQ G2420HD monitor -- 24" screen space, full HD. -- 11.5K ~ 13K BenQ India | Products - LCD Monitors - G2420HD

The image quality of the LCD monitor detororiates the futher the resolution is kept from the native resolution of the panel, so better deal is you increase the text size. Some links you'll find helpful --

Liquid crystal display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Native resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps, bruv.

I usually like to have big text, so I keep resolution low (My 19 inch CRT monitor is set at 800 X 600)

first this is not the correct way to achieve the BIG TEXT, you can easily customize Windows to increase the Font size in all menu. And as for word processing and any other day to day office work and you can zoom (atleast in MS Office suite)
I recently upgrade from 19 inch lcd to 24 inch lcd -BenQ24G20HD for 10.5k . Its an excellent monitor for this price

Guys, thanks for replies! Unfortunately, what I have seen is that there is no good way to increase the font size in HD monitor. Best one can do is - increase DPI settings and use zoom in office/browser software. This gives an unbalanced & weird view where graphics remain small but text is large. The other workaround is decrease the resolution but that produces blurriness except when resolution is exactly half. Half resolution of (1920x1080) is (960X540) which is no better than my current (800X600)

OP,

I am using win 7 and increased the font size to 150% at native resolution which is 1440 X 900 for my monitor.

Just check the screenshot and see if you still think the text is small and difficult to read. (when you see it in imageshack please click on the image once, then only it will show the image in its full resolution.)

Thanks for this! Font size looks pretty decent. Are the font size changes automatically applicable to browsers too? What about Graphics/text size imbalance in browsers?

I am on WinXP so not sure about these option for Win7.

vivacious_tg said:
OP,

I am using win 7 and increased the font size to 150% at native resolution which is 1440 X 900 for my monitor.

Just check the screenshot and see if you still think the text is small and difficult to read. (when you see it in imageshack please click on the image once, then only it will show the image in its full resolution.)

rshri said:
Thanks for this! Font size looks pretty decent. Are the font size changes automatically applicable to browsers too? What about Graphics/text size imbalance in browsers?

I am on WinXP so not sure about these option for Win7.
The font change is everywhere including browser,start menu and installed applications. If you look at the icons and the text below they are well balanced , if you want I can attach a screenshot of browser too. Haven't used XP for a long time so can't comment how to achieve this in XP

This is a simple setting under "Display" where you just need to choose 150%. There is no change in DPI value here.

Hi, Sorry for bumping this old thread. Just wanted to let know that I finally bought Dell u2311h. I am very happy with my purchase! Thanks for all the advice!

Back