Audio Please Suggest 2.1 speakers Within 2.5k (vs2621 vs f&d a520 vs z313.....)

kidrow

Adept
Hi all,

My 6 year old Altec Lansing 121i speakers' amplifier has developed a problem. The sound from one of the jacks/channels of the amplifier goes off for long periods of time. I've switched/swapped the speakers' connections a couple of times & the problem persists. So I believe the fault lies with the amplifier. Given that it's 6 years old, I think it is about time I buy a new pair.

Having gone through many threads, the most popular ones until recently seemed to be the VS2621 & the Z313. But currently, the overwhelming favorite is the F&D A520.

1. Please suggest which set is better in terms of general SQ. (Would be a bonus if you could rank them from best to worst).
The speakers are mainly required for listening to music. But they needn't be loud as the volume is hardly ever cranked up.
Also, the amplifier/subwoofer will not be placed on the ground. Rather, it'll be on the desk.

2. On F&D: Is there any difference between the A510 & the A520?
How about the after sales service? A TE member seems to have had trouble getting in touch with the Co. for repairs, so that sets up a red flag.
& that feedback on the A521 is scary, to say the least. So is the a520 different from the a521?

3. On Altec Lansing: Is there any difference between the VS2621 & the VS2621e

4. Also, if anyone can suggest a simple fix for my current speaker set, I'm all ears. I can then at least give it away to someone.

Thanks for your time. Much obliged.

PS: Just realized that this has turned into an unnecessarily long post. So apologies for the same.

Bump! Any suggestions? Would want to wrap this up within this week.

Also, I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!

don't go with a520 because mine just died in 15days. If u just want the bass then you should go for it but the quality for wires used are not good. I am also looking forward to getting a Z313

So which speakers u r getting....?

I'll probably buy the AL VS2621, if I get 'em at a decent price. Seems to be a safe bet, as is the Logi Z313 for that matter. Only reason I'm leaning towards Altec is that my previous ones have lasted for quite a while.

But I agree that it's quite confusing. On balance, judging by the feedback all over, I'd say you can't really go wrong with either.

I'll make a final call after I've hunted around in local stores. Hopefully, I'll then be able to demo it & decide.

Cheers!

OK. So I was able to get a demo of the VS2621, & frankly I'm unimpressed. I was expecting their SQ to be around the same as my earlier set but there is, in fact, an audible difference. & it's not just my opinion. My better half also concurs. So I have no choice but to raise my budget to about 4k-5k.

So I'd like suggestions on which 2.1 sets are the best for a 4k-5k budget. I've heard that the Edifier c2 is the one to buy in this range. Is that a safe buy?

Thanks.

Besides C2, there's also the AL 4621 & Logi Z523, which are apparently considered possible contenders. So is the Ed. C2 still the better choice? Any other options? & where in Mumbai would I be able to source one?

Thanks for your time. Much appreciated!

Bump! Is the C2 a good buy @4k? Might finalize this one, though I'm unsure about how warranty will work if bought online. & I don't really know where in Mumbai it'll be available. Should I try Lamington Road? Any recommended shops for desktop speakers? Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Bump! Is the C2 a good buy @4k? Might finalize this one, though I'm unsure about how warranty will work if bought online. & I don't really know where in Mumbai it'll be available. Should I try Lamington Road? Any recommended shops for desktop speakers? Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks!

for your earlier quoted budget in the OP, please check up on these two:

* Creative T3100

* Edifier P3060

if you can get an audition of these 2, it will be very good! the 1st one is said to be a a sort of legend in under-3k 2.1 speaker segment.

P.S. - And don't forget to consult MegaMind!

for your earlier quoted budget in the OP, please check up on these two:

* Creative T3100

* Edifier P3060

if you can get an audition of these 2, it will be very good! the 1st one is said to be a a sort of legend in under-3k 2.1 speaker segment.

P.S. - And don't forget to consult MegaMind!

Thanks for your reply mate.

Yes, I was looking for the T3100 as well, in fact. But it doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore. The only online listing I've come across is at Rediff at around 2.6k. Now I'm not too sure how reliable Rediff is, so I'm taking that with a pinch of salt. It also lists the AL VS4121 at around 3.3k.

As regards the Edifier P3060, I haven't really come across any recommendations for the Edifier range in the lower price category apart from C2/C3. So I'll try & do a fresh search for this particular model & see what comes up.

Didn't realize that MegaMind is also on TE. Most of my Google searches resulted in his posts on TD, & in fact, his posts are the ones which helped put things in perspective. For instance, the fact that the T3130 is inferior to the T3100.

As for auditioning, any ideas about which places in Mumbai one can expect to have a few sets auditioned?

On balance, the ones I seem to be looking at right now are the T3100 @ 2.6k & VS4121 @3.3k [provided Rediff can be relied on] & the C2 @4k. Any idea on how these rank/compare wrt one another?

Thanks for your time!

Thanks for your reply mate.

Yes, I was looking for the T3100 as well, in fact. But it doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore. The only online listing I've come across is at Rediff at around 2.6k. Now I'm not too sure how reliable Rediff is, so I'm taking that with a pinch of salt. It also lists the AL VS4121 at around 3.3k.

As regards the Edifier P3060, I haven't really come across any recommendations for the Edifier range in the lower price category apart from C2/C3. So I'll try & do a fresh search for this particular model & see what comes up.

Didn't realize that MegaMind is also on TE. Most of my Google searches resulted in his posts on TD, & in fact, his posts are the ones which helped put things in perspective. For instance, the fact that the T3130 is inferior to the T3100.

As for auditioning, any ideas about which places in Mumbai one can expect to have a few sets auditioned?

On balance, the ones I seem to be looking at right now are the T3100 @ 2.6k & VS4121 @3.3k [provided Rediff can be relied on] & the C2 @4k. Any idea on how these rank/compare wrt one another?

Thanks for your time!

you are welcome! :)

check for creative T3100 with golchhaIT.com. most probably it won't be listed online on their site, but either just give them a call or shoot an email. whatever way, they are quick in responding. i hope they have that model available with them. they are totally reliable & a pleasant merchant to deal with (bengaluru-based).

there are a few videos of Edifier P3060 on youtube. have a look at them. and i personally believe that Edifier systems' satellites reproduce music very well. for personal audition i would suggest you to check on lam rd, but no clue as to where i should direct you to specifically :(
wait for a day. i'll let you know if i find someone who could let you demo them.

and if you are interested in F&D speakers, those could be auditioned at 'more' shopping centres across the city.

P.S. - Let us know about golchhaIT's response. tomorrow being a Sunday, don't know if they'll pick-up calls, but you could always email them!

you are welcome! :)

check for creative T3100 with golchhaIT.com. most probably it won't be listed online on their site, but either just give them a call or shoot an email. whatever way, they are quick in responding. i hope they have that model available with them. they are totally reliable & a pleasant merchant to deal with (bengaluru-based).

there are a few videos of Edifier P3060 on youtube. have a look at them. and i personally believe that Edifier systems' satellites reproduce music very well. for personal audition i would suggest you to check on lam rd, but no clue as to where i should direct you to specifically :(
wait for a day. i'll let you know if i find someone who could let you demo them.

and if you are interested in F&D speakers, those could be auditioned at 'more' shopping centres across the city.

P.S. - Let us know about golchhaIT's response. tomorrow being a Sunday, don't know if they'll pick-up calls, but you could always email them!

Hey thanks, I'll email GolchaIT & see what they say. Will surely let you know what their response is. I'll also try PMing Megamind & see what his opinion is. Again, many thanks!

Still haven't purchased any set yet. Looking out for a decent price on the Edifier C2 in Mumbai atm.

The reason for bumping the thread is OT though. Just been reading that the ideal place to place the sub woofer is on the floor. So my question is - Won't dust being kicked up by the broom as the floor is swept everyday be an issue? Or am I simply splitting hairs?

i can definitely vouch for C2s bro !!!! but i bought them for 3100 so for their price to performance ratio is awsome !!!

i can definitely vouch for C2s bro !!!! but i bought them for 3100 so for their price to performance ratio is awsome !!!
wow , wish i could buy them at this price, i was quoted 4.5k today at lammy, and that too was among the last pairs left (nothing worng with that ,donno why i mentioned) but for some reason, none of the good edifiers or Altec are being stocked as of now, no idea why. r and apparently F&Ds are giving home pick up warranty incase they fail within the mumbai circle, and yeah, i bought the F680 :)

wow , wish i could buy them at this price, i was quoted 4.5k today at lammy, and that too was among the last pairs left (nothing worng with that ,donno why i mentioned) but for some reason, none of the good edifiers or Altec are being stocked as of now, no idea why. r and apparently F&Ds are giving home pick up warranty incase they fail within the mumbai circle, and yeah, i bought the F680 :)

@pratz @touzeen Eyeing on F680 for my PC. If you be kind I'd like to know few things form you.

1) approximately how long is the cable. I'm planning to place the Sub on the floor and satellite on the desk.
2) Bass - Bloomy or tight ?
3) is there Treble controls available.
4) Source - from where did u buy them. I could see it listed in FK and Infibean.
5)Service - In general any idea about F&D service.

Usage - Movies > YT > Games > Songs .

Thanks
-Rico.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back