Monitors Please Help in Deciding Monitor(15k).

pranut

Adept
Hi guys,

My Samsung P2370HD just died, and Now I am looking for a new monitor.

My budget is Rs.15000, Extendable if getting a good deal.

My requirements are:

1. Full HD monitor
2. Screen size should be atleast 23".
3. My main priority will be playing HD videos or movies, I also game a lot.
4. I will connect it to PS3 as well, So HDMI is a requirement, though I have a DVI-HDMI converter, not sure whether there will be a quality drop.
5. I will prefer a LED over LCD.

Any good 27" monitors under 20k ?

I have short listed a few models:

1. LG D2342P LED Monitor
How is this monitor ? I couldn't find any reviews except CNET's, according to which the performance isn't upto the mark. Its available at SMC for Rs.15k with 2 free 3D glasses.

2. Dell U2311H
Saw many guys recommending this monitor on the other thread, The only drawback I found is the absence of HDMI port. Its available at SMC for Rs.14.5k.

3. Samsung PX2370
Has got great reviews. Available for 15k.

Any kind of help will be appreciated, I live in Delhi and plan to buy from SMC international.

Thanks!

^^ Get the Dell Ultrasharp U2311H ~ 14000/- [free shipping] from SMC International, Nehru place.

reasons you should get this monitor --

1) IPS panel, look it simply is better than all the LED back-lit TN panel monitors, you'll have better color detail and viewing angles this makes it all the more enjoyable during gaming and watching movies, for further on same please read this -- LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN

2) Its saving you almost 1000/- quid from your budget, so save it, there is not a great quality loss when you go to DVI <--> HDMI except audio cannot be played, Dell Ultrasharp monitors do not have speakers on them.

3) There is no LED monitor, it is an LED back-lit LCD panel, which doesn't improve the image quality, it only increases the brightness of the screen that too superficially, so it is much better to go for the Dell monitor as it comes with the best feature set at a respectable price, for more information on LCD's and their back-light -- Backlight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / LED-backlit LCD television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The only tangible difference between a LED back-lit monitor and a standard Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp back-lit one are improved power efficiency and even lighting at the edges as compared to the latter.

Hope this helps.

ALPHA17 said:
^^ Get the Dell Ultrasharp U2311H ~ 14000/- [free shipping] from SMC International, Nehru place.

1) IPS panel, look it simply is better than all the LED back-lit TN panel monitors, you'll have better color detail and viewing angles this makes it all the more enjoyable during gaming and watching movies, for further on same please read this -- LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN

2) Its saving you almost 1000/- quid from your budget, so save it, there is not a great quality loss when you go to DVI <--> HDMI except audio cannot be played, Dell Ultrasharp monitors do not have speakers on them.

3) There is no LED monitor, it is an LED back-lit LCD panel, which doesn't improve the image quality, it only increases the brightness of the screen that too superficially, so it is much better to go for the Dell monitor as it comes with the best feature set at a respectable price, for more information on LCD's and their back-light -- Backlight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / LED-backlit LCD television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The only tangible difference between a LED back-lit monitor and a standard Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp back-lit one are improved power efficiency and even lighting at the edges as compared to the latter.

Hope this helps.

Really good points there! Thanks a lot, Almost finalized on this monitor. How is Dell's service ?

Also any options I got in screen sizes above 23" ? If i extend by budget to around 19k ?

Hows the LG 3D Monitor ?

^^ nope, if ips panel is a criteria then you are pretty much stuck with the u2311h as the only option. If you can wait then the dell 2412 might be good(especially liked the 90 deg rotation feature which would be really useful for reading books/comics) and priced well withing 20k.

pranut said:
Really good points there! Thanks a lot, Almost finalized on this monitor. How is Dell's service ?

Also any options I got in screen sizes above 23" ? If i extend by budget to around 19k ?

Hows the LG 3D Monitor ?

I have no idea on 3D monitors so will not reserve any comments on the same,

as for Dell's service I think it is good to decent depending in which area of the country you stay and which Dell engineer drops at your place. [I think there are threads on this topic somewhere on TE complaining about a lousy Dell technician wrecking a members Vostro laptop]

The next 24" monitor in the Dell Ultrasharp series ~ 25000/-, so your only real option is the U2311H.

ALPHA17 said:

Hope this helps.

off topic, but QUID is pounds(GBP) not INR :p

chiron said:
^^ nope, if ips panel is a criteria then you are pretty much stuck with the u2311h as the only option. If you can wait then the dell 2412 might be good(especially liked the 90 deg rotation feature which would be really useful for reading books/comics) and priced well withing 20k.

Thanks for the reply! But Which monitor is that ? U2412M? When is it coming out ?
ALPHA17 said:
I have no idea on 3D monitors so will not reserve any comments on the same,

as for Dell's service I think it is good to decent depending in which area of the country you stay and which Dell engineer drops at your place. [I think there are threads on this topic somewhere on TE complaining about a lousy Dell technician wrecking a members Vostro laptop]

The next 24" monitor in the Dell Ultrasharp series ~ 25000/-, so your only real option is the U2311H.

Thanks for all the info, 25k will be way out of my budget, BTW I used Samsung P2370HD, Its a TN Panel but Image quality was above the roofs :p , cant imagine better Image quality on an IPS Panel, except for viewing angles whats the benefit of IPS panel ? Also Dell is advertising U2311H as mainly a business monitor...

^^ Here is the difference.
IPS panel are based on a different technology, TN panel achieve their detailing through a process called dithering which interpolates pixels to get its results, most TN panels have a 6-bit panel that limits the number of colors it can naturally reproduce, but in the case of an IPS panel the bit-rate is 8-bit so you can notice a factual jump in number of colors that can be displayed by the panel, this mated with a mature back-light technology like LED produces the better color gamut.

For viewing angles and other queries on which I'm not very knowledgeable please refer to these links -- Liquid crystal display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN.

Hope this helps in your decision, bruv.

chiron said:

Does anyone have an idea when the Dell 2412 will be available for retail customers? I wrote to Dell and they mentioned that it is only on Sale for Business customers as of now :( The specs and aspect ratio make it look to be a better bet than the 2311 and I would love to buy one. Also it has got some decent feedback on hardforum.

ALPHA17 said:
^^ Here is the difference.
IPS panel are based on a different technology, TN panel achieve their detailing through a process called dithering which interpolates pixels to get its results, most TN panels have a 6-bit panel that limits the number of colors it can naturally reproduce, but in the case of an IPS panel the bit-rate is 8-bit so you can notice a factual jump in number of colors that can be displayed by the panel, this mated with a mature back-light technology like LED produces the better color gamut.

For viewing angles and other queries on which I'm not very knowledgeable please refer to these links -- Liquid crystal display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN.

Hope this helps in your decision, bruv.

@Alpha17.. Nice explanatory replies there... Just a quick question about the 6-bit and 8-bit thing you were explaining above...

Firstly, I read that the new 2412 were only 6-bit IPS... so then is the colour representation going to be on the lines of a 6-bit TN panel of same size?

Another question - I read somewhere that most computers only send 8-bit outputs so having a 10-bit monitor like the 2410 (not 2412) you wont notice a difference to having an 8-bit monitor of same size... Is this statement correct?

chiron said:

I got my u2311h yesterday and it does swivel 90 degrees to be oriented in portrait mode. No issues, you just need to tilt the monitor backwards a little bit while swiveling to avoid the monitor's corner touching the table.

Back