PlayStation 4 - News, Rumors & Speculations

You can't have it all then, can you? It's like buying an expensive car and then saying i won't put diesel in it because the price of diesel is too high. Why buy the car in the first place?

A console without games is pointless. Especially the PS4 since it barely has any media features. The PS3 was a much better media device. You could store your own movies, music, pics etc and play them.

^ Well I am (was) in the mood to buy a PS4, but with what its priced at I am not going to spend that much money on it.
In US, PS3 500GB is available for $325/- which = 19500 INR
PS4 500GB no Game bundled is available for $399/- which = 23940 INR

In India, PS3 500GB with 2 game bundle is available for 21790 INR

PS4 500GB on the other hand is a whooping 40000 INR, does anyone have any idea why? because from a few blog posts from Sony India all i heard was Taxes & Import Duties blah blah.... These taxes apply to both consoles so why the hell are we Indian paying twice the amount of the product value??? So until Sony India gets their heads out of their bottoms i am not going to buy or recommend buying one.

I maybe wrong but AFAIK the PS sold in India all are imported from EU so basically its sold there close to 35-36k approx...that's why the difference in pricing as EU prices have always been high for PS as compared to US..

^ Well I am (was) in the mood to buy a PS4, but with what its priced at I am not going to spend that much money on it.
In US, PS3 500GB is available for $325/- which = 19500 INR
PS4 500GB no Game bundled is available for $399/- which = 23940 INR

In India, PS3 500GB with 2 game bundle is available for 21790 INR

PS4 500GB on the other hand is a whooping 40000 INR, does anyone have any idea why? because from a few blog posts from Sony India all i heard was Taxes & Import Duties blah blah.... These taxes apply to both consoles so why the hell are we Indian paying twice the amount of the product value??? So until Sony India gets their heads out of their bottoms i am not going to buy or recommend buying one.

Fair enough. 40K was high but just to satisfy your curiosity, here's the breakup:

PS4: Cost of the console (~25k) + Customs and other taxes (36%) + retailer/distributor margins (~5k) = 40k.

They are not willing to subsidize the price like they're doing for the PS3. They don't have enough stock all over the world and selling a hot new product for a loss doesn't make business sense.

IIRC the PS3 launched a year late in India and was priced at 40k as well. This when the dollar was Rs.44 and the cost of the console $499. It's another thing that the price dropped by 5k within a month of launch because of cheaper grey market imports.

My advice is unless you're obsessed with having the latest console, hold off till around August/September. There will be a lot more games and the price will hopefully have stabilized in India as well.

I maybe wrong but AFAIK the PS sold in India all are imported from EU so basically its sold there close to 35-36k approx...that's why the difference in pricing as EU prices have always been high for PS as compared to US..

Check this Amazon.co.uk page says 191 with current value of 1 pounds being 102 INR = 19482 still close to its USD counterpart

And the Playstation 3 and 4 are 110 ~ 230 V so it will work anywhere in the world, there is no specific requirement for the product that it has to come through UK... everything is made & assembled in China, it makes more sense for these to be shipped directly from China to India & that is what is happening anyways.

Customs and other taxes (36%)

That would be applicable to PS3 as well...PS3 & PS4 are in the same category of products there is no way our Government is treating PS4 differently than PS3. So PS3 prices should be over 30k as well.
My Point is that don't be a customer that want to justify the price of it and believe every word that comes out of Sony India, They are blaming taxes in India to fill their pockets, Our government does not care if your product is cutting edge or new or old tech it only cares for the category it fits in so it can define its taxes.

There is no way PS4 has to pay 36% tax when clearly PS3 and other consoles which fall under the same category can be sold with merely 3 - 4 k additional price which seems more legit.

The only reason i want a console is to play exclusive game titles.... i already have a gaming pc. It sucks that Sony Global is doing so well and pricing things at a competitive price would help sales in India rather than asking almost 1.5 x the original product value. Game Prices at 3 - 5k is really a big bunch of BS, no wonder Piracy is on the rise all over world.

Check this Amazon.co.uk page says 191 with current value of 1 pounds being 102 INR = 19482 still close to its USD counterpart

And the Playstation 3 and 4 are 110 ~ 230 V so it will work anywhere in the world, there is no specific requirement for the product that it has to come through UK... everything is made & assembled in China, it makes more sense for these to be shipped directly from China to India & that is what is happening anyways.

That would be applicable to PS3 as well...PS3 & PS4 are in the same category of products there is no way our Government is treating PS4 differently than PS3. So PS3 prices should be over 30k as well.
My Point is that don't be a customer that want to justify the price of it and believe every word that comes out of Sony India, They are blaming taxes in India to fill their pockets, Our government does not care if your product is cutting edge or new or old tech it only cares for the category it fits in so it can define its taxes.

There is no way PS4 has to pay 36% tax when clearly PS3 and other consoles which fall under the same category can be sold with merely 3 - 4 k additional price which seems more legit.

The only reason i want a console is to play exclusive game titles.... i already have a gaming pc. It sucks that Sony Global is doing so well and pricing things at a competitive price would help sales in India rather than asking almost 1.5 x the original product value. Game Prices at 3 - 5k is really a big bunch of BS, no wonder Piracy is on the rise all over world.

Agree with you totally ,but was just going through a website and came across this.. In this he mentions as to why the PS4 is costly ..it maybe wrong but it kind of justifies why the price difference

http://www.medianama.com/2013/12/223-ps4-games-india/

It is pretty evident that India is not in Sony’s priority list right now given that the fraction of gamers who would adopt to the newer gen. consoles after launch is much lesser in comparison to that in the US, Japan or elsewhere. So they do not have to concentrate on price reductions or offers right away. I believe this was the case when the PS3 was launched here. The console was priced more than 40k back then (2006 end?) and found few takers. A few years later (2009) it was retailing for less than half of the launch price!

Like i said, they subsidize things when they see a growth market for it. PS4 is not a growth area for them. PS3 and PSP is...

Going with your logic, PS3 games should be priced at 4k...they're not because they have a blu ray manufacturing unit in India. Only the art work and cases are imported. The disc is printed here. EA and Activision are the exceptions here...

I am not saying that the games are too costly, just in India.

FIFA 2014 for PS4 is 60$ which is 3600 INR & in India that costs 3999 INR and that is fine and near perfect conversion + Tax. I am saying that in general all PS4 Games are costlier than any other counter part.

Basically they just want the consoles to die or want people to import grey market ones or make Pirated copies, because there is no way a regular Joe would purchase a game. remember PS4 is targeted at "STUDENTS" what students get such big monthly pocket money that they would be able to afford to purchase games.

Talking about Piracy; what people do here i.e. sell game CD / DVD / BlueRay is also an offense according to Sony Software usage Terms

7. Resale
7.1. You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher.

Everything on games and film discs' say this: "You may not, copy, rent, lend, buy, sell, eat, compost, burn, place in wrong area, exhibit, broadcast, breathe, shout, sing, dance, argue, dump, transfer, modify, edit, crack open, break, snap, you tube it, twitter it, Facebook it or msn it, or mention any word of the disc without proper authorization from the government, queen, distributor and developer. All rights Reserved"

Like i said, they subsidize things when they see a growth market for it. PS4 is not a growth area for them. PS3 and PSP is...

Really? How do you not see PS4 market grow if its priced at 28K? People in the market looking for Gaming Consoles will buy PS4 at ~28K rather than a PS3 at 22K which would lead to more sales. But Sony being Sony wants more money for less product.. the $399 price tag in the US comes with the Camera & here you have to shell out 5k for that cam.

Which brings me to the Gaming Disc scenario as acerulz pointed out they are just importing discs right now which is why they are a bit costly, but why are they not making them here? because there is no one buying the PS4, and why is that? because its stupidly costly.. all these things are inter-related.

You got my point wrong because going by my Logic PS3 games should cost $69 in the US as well for it to cost 4K here too but it does not... FIFA 14 for PS3 on Amazon is 40$ = 2400 INR & here is 3000 INR which is fine. but the same game as i mentioned above for PS4 is 4000 a whole 1K costlier and judging by the Software Usage Terms I am not allowed to sell them so if you count down all the games its huge amount of money
[DOUBLEPOST=1394177743][/DOUBLEPOST]
The console was priced more than 40k back then (2006 end?) and found few takers. A few years later (2009) it was retailing for less than half of the launch price!

And that is the biggest problem, I don't want to wait for 3 years for the PS4 prices to come down to what its sold at right now in the US.

Last edited:
I am not saying that the games are too costly, just in India.

FIFA 2014 for PS4 is 60$ which is 3600 INR & in India that costs 3999 INR and that is fine and near perfect conversion + Tax. I am saying that in general all PS4 Games are costlier than any other counter part.

Basically they just want the consoles to die or want people to import grey market ones or make Pirated copies, because there is no way a regular Joe would purchase a game. remember PS4 is targeted at "STUDENTS" what students get such big monthly pocket money that they would be able to afford to purchase games.

Talking about Piracy; what people do here i.e. sell game CD / DVD / BlueRay is also an offense according to Sony Software usage Terms

[DOUBLEPOST=1394177743][/DOUBLEPOST]

And that is the biggest problem, I don't want to wait for 3 years for the PS4 prices to come down to what its sold at right now in the US.

I'd disagree on your point about PS4 being targeted at students. It is not targeted at anybody except gamers. This includes the whole spectrum from 6 year old kids to the 30 year old working professional. It's quite simple actually. In India, PS4 right now is only for the enthusiasts. PS3 is for the mainstream.

Your second point about wanting consoles to die doesn't make any sense. What would they sell you then?

No, selling your game is not illegal. If that were the case, companies like Gamestop, EB games etc would go bankrupt. Heck even our local Landmark,Game4u etc do it.

You own the rights to use the software, the maker owns the software itself. This license is transferable though. So, when you sell it all you're doing is transferring the license. If you were to keep a copy for yourself and then sell it that would be illegal.

I know, it sucks being a student on a limited budget. I've been there myself and used to play crappy games on my PC. Things will change though once you start earning i.e. if you still have the passion for games by then...

Last edited:
No, selling your game is not illegal. If that were the case, companies like Gamestop, EB games etc would go bankrupt. Heck even our local Landmark,Game4u etc do it.

You own the rights to use the software, the maker owns the software itself. This license is transferable though. So, when you sell it all you're doing is transferring the license. If you were to keep a copy for yourself and then sell it that would be illegal.

No matter how you put it or try to justify it, Its in their software terms & you Agreed to them and that claw has been included for a reason. It says that unless Sony give you permission to sell, you are not allowed to end of discussion. Companies might have that permission, END Users DONT!

I'd disagree on your point about PS4 being targeted at students. It is not targeted at anybody except gamers. This includes the whole spectrum from 6 year old kids to the 30 year old working professional. It's quite simple actually. In India, PS4 right now is only for the enthusiasts. PS3 is for the mainstream.

Here's a post from The Hindu Times:
Without giving a specific number, he said the company was confident of selling similar numbers as PS3 sold in the second or third year. “We believe the PlayStation’s target audiences are college students, early earners as well as kids,” he said.
Source: The Hindu

If you still don't understand that PS4 is not targeted at just gamers here's another one

Q. What are the challenges you face in a newly forming, emerging market like India? Unlike in the West, it’s a youth-marketed product: People in junior/senior college don’t control the money in the family, but in India, they are the ones who control the technology in the house. The father will get his smartphone ratified and validated by the college kid! When the mother says “pehle padhai karo” the kid can showcase the family features of the device, he can say, “this will turn our TV into a smart TV, allow YouTube browsing, bring in Sony Entertainment and Sony Music content, add a Blu-Ray player…”
Source: MoneyControl

I know, it sucks being a student on a limited budget. I've been there myself and used to play crappy games on my PC. Things will change though once you start earning i.e. if you still have the passion for games by then...
Its not me who is on a limited budget, I can buy a PS4 each month but thats not the point of all this... just because I can buy it doesn't mean that its worth the price tag. You can create 40% better gaming PC with the same budget, but when you put the price to a reasonable ~25K then PS4 gets more interesting than a PC.

Here is another quote from the same MoneyControl article
In the first 2 hours of the PS4 launch, we sold almost as much stock as the whole of 2013’s worth of PS3s! It was 10 cities, 35 stores midnight launch through pre-booking with partners like Flipkart, Landmark and Reliance Ezone. In Pheonix Mills, in Mumbai, we sold almost a month’s worth of PS4s in one night! These are unique things that have never been tried on the hardware side. If people are coming in at midnight in Ludhiana or Jalandhar, it showcases the demand, even if many customers were picking up pre-bought units.

The PS4 is more an emerging market product than anyone had thought. There’s no other market that Sony controls like we do in India: We have Sony Music and Sony Television. We can create so many channels on the PlayStation. A Sony Xperia phone today carries a Sony Music app and a Sony Live app. It’s just a question of integration.

LOL! Then GameStop, Play N Trade and other such retailers should have shut shops by now.

Reselling titles are perfectly fine but the profits from the resale do not go to the publishers which is why they have a big issue with such retailers.

No matter how you put it or try to justify it, Its in their software terms & you Agreed to them and that claw has been included for a reason. It says that unless Sony give you permission to sell, you are not allowed to end of discussion. Companies might have that permission, END Users DONT!

Here's a post from The Hindu Times:

Source: The Hindu

If you still don't understand that PS4 is not targeted at just gamers here's another one

Source: MoneyControl

Its not me who is on a limited budget, I can buy a PS4 each month but thats not the point of all this... just because I can buy it doesn't mean that its worth the price tag. You can create 40% better gaming PC with the same budget, but when you put the price to a reasonable ~25K then PS4 gets more interesting than a PC.

Here is another quote from the same MoneyControl article

Wow! Ok. Here goes:

1. Show me one instance of where they have sued somebody for selling a game. Also, here's a deck from their presentation at E3.

LwlFviT.jpg

2. You're reiterating my point. I clearly said it is not only for college students. It's for gamers of all ages. Here's the quote from the article you've linked:
"We believe the PlayStation’s target audiences are college students, early earners as well as kids,” he said"

3. To each his own. I prefer gaming on my console than my PC. Nothing like a 50" TV with HT system on a recliner! P.S. I do have a decent PC (Core i5, 8gigs, 7850 2GB ) I never argued about the value of the console.

4. The last quote of yours only reinforces what i've been saying. There are always early adopters. They'll buy anything launched by the company because of the trust in the brand etc. The hardsell for Sony will be making average joe buy the console. He is definitely not going to spend 40k on it. So, it makes sense for them to subsidize the older one where the margins(atleast for the manufacturer) are higher.

It costs Sony $380 to make a PS4 console. It costs them less than 200 to make a PS3.

Wow! Ok. Here goes:

1. Show me one instance of where they have sued somebody for selling a game. Also, here's a deck from their presentation at E3.

LwlFviT.jpg
If i am not wrong, E3 was in June 2013? that Usage Terms was updated on November 2013 5 Months Later!!!!
In either case It does not matter what they show you, or what anyone else tells you otherwise.. as long as that 7.1 claw is in the Terms of Usage you are in violation of it for sharing/ reselling games.
what's in the Terms of Service matters because IT'S TERMS OF SERVICE!!! - it's irrelevant what that slide or even Sony themselves say it ok when says otherwise in their Terms of Usage..its is a legal contract you click agree to and the legal contract you stick by to a court of law if broken.

If you read the document. It clearly states that
2.2. "Software" means PlayStation game and application software developed to operate on one or more of the Authorised Systems.
It then says
7. Resale
7.1. You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher.

Software is a Playstation GAME - it is pretty black & white you are not allowed to resell. As for these game trading sites they might have contract with Sony and pay a % share of each resell of disc.

3. To each his own. I prefer gaming on my console than my PC. Nothing like a 50" TV with HT system on a recliner! P.S. I do have a decent PC (Core i5, 8gigs, 7850 2GB ) I never argued about the value of the console.
Right and i can do the same with a PC...plus keep upgrading it each year if have too. plus get a lot more games, get Steam deals on games as cheap as 2 - 3$ do that on a PS or XBOX. Don't get me started on that anyways.. i can write a whole 9 yards why PC is better than a console in every single way... The only thing a console is good for is its exclusive titles... everything else is much better on a PC.

4. The last quote of yours only reinforces what i've been saying. There are always early adopters. They'll buy anything launched by the company because of the trust in the brand etc. The hardsell for Sony will be making average joe buy the console. He is definitely not going to spend 40k on it. So, it makes sense for them to subsidize the older one where the margins(atleast for the manufacturer) are higher.
There is no information anywhere that Sony is subsidizing PS3 and PSP... if they were they would be open about it...please don't make things up. Companies do not subsidize anything..
What they are doing with the PS4 in India is calling Milking the early adopters of their money to get as much money out of them possible, once people stop buying they will start to reduce the price to what it should actually be selling at in the first place.

Last edited:
I think we can argue about this all day and not have a definite answer. It is there in case of any misuse i.e. disc replication etc.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/12/son...ing-re-selling-after-software-usage-concerns/

If they do sue you in court, you can always show them the press release which is dated after the terms of conditions update.

Like i said to each his own. The thing with a console is once you buy it, you're set for the next 4-5 years minimum. No hardware upgrades etc. Your console might develop hardware faults but other than that there won't be any further investment. Also, Sony gives u a decent deal in India in case your console conks off after the warranty period. You can get a new one for 50% of the cost up to year 3 or something.

To counter your cheap games on Steam, how about the free games you get if you subscribe to PS+. Also, Sony and Microsoft have improved in that respect and there are sales almost the whole year round. Nothing as crazy as Steam sales though i must admit.

Ok, bad choice of words. I shouldn't have used subsidize...i should have used better pricing. Sony isn't losing any money on the PS3 or PSPs sold here, they just aren't making much.

As for the milking part, it's business. What do you expect? Vote with your wallet. Don't buy it till you feel it is at the right price point for you.

Back