Pixel 8 launched

t3chg33k

Skilled
Deserves a thread like any other. Highlight would be the 7 years of OS upgrades and even more pixel-specific AI features that probably makes the decision to have their own SoC worth it.

Also, Samsung's 4nm mode is now close to TSMC's and they poached people from TSMC for a better modem process as well.

Most won't care if performance is a generation or two behind if the efficiency finally catches up to Qualcomm Snapdragon.

Within next few days the efficiency bit will be clarified. I am not holding much hope for it. 7 years of OS updates is indeed fantastic. Apple does what 5 or 6? The hardware, however, might not see that far ahead. Bigger aperture is great as well, at f1.7. Let's see. Another thing is, 10 grams lighter, still heavy AF though.
Now even more confused whether to get the Pixel 7 in the upcoming sales, especially after seeing the lighter weight and camera upgrade.

The difference between the Normal and Pro is 30k apart. That is huge. I hope 7 Pro comes for under 50K.

Wtf are those prices lol. They are thinking of competing against iPhones it seems. I will stick to cheaper budget Android phones. And yea, hardware of Pixel phones are bad... they need to improve that really. 7 years of update is great, but yea, as someone said above, the hardware should last as long LOL.

I'm thrilled about Google's new update policy. I won't purchase a Pixel and see no value in spending too much on a phone. However, this will improve update policies for more Android phones in the future.

7yrs OS upgrade fully required considering the cost.
Companies provide not only cheaper costing in some western countries, some electronic items are taken back and money refund if customer's don't 'like' the products or have issue issues. Here in India they all find it difficult upholding a valid warranty even after paying higher price.
So, may be we are paying for somebody else's luxuries.

Edit, seems they also started finding ways to cut corners: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20231004-why-more-fashion-retailers-are-charging-return-fees

Last edited:
Who has used the same phone for 7 years?
One of our office employees has used a POCO F1 for 5 years, and it's still in good condition. He intends to use it for 2 more years, with a battery replacement costing 1K in between.

If a 10-year-old device can run Windows 11 smoothly, we should enjoy similar flexibility with Android phones. Longer update policies will enhance the security and usability of phones. Some Android components are now updated via the Play Store and managed by Google.

We would all love if our mobile phones lasted for a long time. But nowadays, companies want us to buy new mobiles every few years. After a few years, either their hardware starts to fail, or the phone software starts to act up, or they become sluggish. Heck, the hardware doesn't even last for 2-3 years now.

I doubt if Pixel 8 will last that long hardware wise to see update for 7 years.

I had LG Nexus 5, which worked great until it started to have power button issue, which started to happen even after the button replacement. Had to buy a new phone. Bought Nokia 7+ after that, which is again working great, but I soon won't be able to use it, because of the charging port issue... getting increasingly difficult to charge it... have to try different angles, pressure, until it starts to charge, and even a slight movement can make me repeat the process again. Shame really, because the phone works without any issues software wise.

7 years of OS upgrades :grinning:
these days people change phones in 2-3 years max..
Not everybody is a compulsive buyer. Some people use their phones until it ceases to function physically. Most of the times people have zero reasons to upgrade but they do it just in order to follow the trend.

One of my family members is still using the Redmi Note 4 from 2017. That's almost 7 years old. And I am on my Max Pro M1 that is yet to show any signs of aging despite being close to 6 years old. These are entey level - mid-rangers and we are talking about 'flagships' here.
7yrs OS upgrade fully required considering the cost.
I agree wholeheartedly. If an entry level phone launched with Android Marshmallow can handle Android 13, how are these new flagships powered by monster SOCs going to be obsolete by 2030? Lack of software updates has always been the reason to dismiss perfectly usable used phones. The amount of electrical waste this artificial obsolescence results in is just insane.

Google's promise is only next to KGB tip off, at least for me.

But if they do keep up, that would be awesome. This, I believe, would have an impact on the resale value and thereby perceived market value of upcoming pixel devices overall.
With the pricing I like to think they're going for the premium-appeal-at-launch-&-deal-prices-later approach; odds are I'm wrong, though.
People in the USA don't seem to spend much on tech lately; premiumisation has worked way better in India. So, the disparity makes sense.

7 years of OS upgrades :grinning:
these days people change phones in 2-3 years max..

People like me who are not compulsive buyers and don't have FOMO. I got my iPhone 6S in Nov 2015 (that too because I was able to score it for like totally free, when I was in US, not contract wala free) and used till Jan 2022.

I understand people are really happy with the 7 Year updates but since it is google, people should take this huge grain of salt as they tend to retract on these claims shortly after. We will see it when it happens but then that is 7 years away. Contrary to this, and correct me if I am wrong, I don't think Apple ever claimed they will give X years update. They just did it without any claims as such. Not saying Apple is saint and we know they are not but claiming is one thing and making it happen is another.

Only have recent experience of Pixel devices having purchased a refurbished Pixel 3 last year and then a 6a as a secondary device this year, but will state the following:

1. Pixel 3 at 5 years of age worked remarkably well, better than most mid-range devices and I would have kept it if it had better battery capacity and software updates

2. It was easy to replace the battery for 500-600 bucks after 5 years and now that Google has tied up with iFixit, it should be easier

3. Coming from a Samsung device, the optimisation on Pixel OS is extremely evident and it makes much better use of the hardware

4. The AI features add enough value to want to stay on the stock OS rather than switch to custom ROMs

5. With root, all custom ROM features can be added to stock OS itself as all AOSP mods work fine, unlike on Xiaomi, OnePlus, Samsung devices

6. A/B partitioning makes OTA update with root a breeze

Of course the long support is good for people who don't care about updates, but also good from an enthusiast point of view, who would normally look to hacked custom ROMs to extend device support.

I have had a very, very terrible experience with Pixel devices and have posted about it before.

1. Phone heats up like a toaster oven in indian climate, doesnt cool well at all. Never fixed
2. The network reception is piss poor, and lot of calls are missed due to that which is a non-negotiable in a phone to me.
3. While the software experience is mostly great, I have never used much of the AI features and those are all gimmick-y

The only real pro was the camera, which I still miss, even though I have the s22+ now.
As usual, the pricing is garbage, no one will buy, and next year we will see the price go down significantly, same as the last few launches.
On top of the absurd pricing, question marks remain over their hardware support and repair centers. Then comes the fact that the returns policies are terrible in india and we get milked unnecessarily.
I have a hard time trusting google to follow through on their OS upgrade promise. Anyone remember how they killed pixel pass before users even got a chance to upgrade?

will wait for reviews from indian youtubers before thinking about the heating and reception. This might be a good phone in, next BBD sale. :D

3. Coming from a Samsung device, the optimisation on Pixel OS is extremely evident and it makes much better use of the hardware
This is what people don't understand, or simply don't care. The consistency of the software is far and away than any other android skin. 60 hz on pixels feel same if not better than 120 hz on other devices, especially Samsung. Samsung has even lowered the animation so that frame drops are less perceived. Lol. And then there's the camera. No phone comes anywhere near really.

But yes, the exynos chip is bad. Then the battery backup of pixels aren't great either. Then after sales service. Software, and camera, two pivotal aspects of pixels, perhaps the only two. Not enough though, yes. So samsungs will reign as they deliver the overall package better.

Back