PHP, Python or C?

Hi,

I want to learn programming, but I am confused about whether I should start with PHP, Python, or C.

I want to develop PHP-based software, and I am also interested in LLMs. I have basic knowledge of PHP and MySQL.

Thanks.

Python.

But why do you only have these 3 options?

What do you mean by "php based software" what kind of software?

I want to learn programming, but I am confused about whether I should start with PHP, Python, or C.
Learning programming IS NOT learning a programming language. Most problems that programmers face/solve are independent of any language.

All these three are good options if you want to learn programming.
I want to develop PHP-based software, and I am also interested in LLMs. I have basic knowledge of PHP and MySQL.
If you have already started with PHP, why this doubt?

During old school era C was the base considered for learning coding.. Now the things are different. Of course you cannot directly start learning Java it will be tad difficult.

PHP cannot be clubbed with any coding languages afaik but you can use java scripting etc. to enhance the code by using java based script stuff to add functionalities.

You probably should make it a bit more clear what your goals are. Based on your post, I can only infer you think you probably lack CS/programming foundational knowledge. If so, do a course like CS50 and see if that helps. You'll definitely need Python these days for most LLM/ML related workloads and is the easier way to get in. If you are aspirational and want to get into high-paying tech jobs, you should also look into improving your knowledge on data structures and algorithms by solving problems on leetcode with Python.

If you already have experience in PHP, you can continue to use it as a means to build backends and web apps. Dive a bit deeper, perhaps try learning frameworks like Laravel which can show you how to build well organized and sane apps with PHP. Laracasts is a good resource you can look into if you want to continue down this road.

Learning programming IS NOT learning a programming language. Most problems that programmers face/solve are independent of any language.

All these three are good options if you want to learn programming.

If you have already started with PHP, why this doubt?
I only know the basics, so I believe I still have zero knowledge of PHP. I'm only familiar with variables, some function names, and copy-pasting. :facepalm:

I only know the basics, so I believe I still have zero knowledge of PHP. I'm only familiar with variables, some function names, and copy-pasting. :facepalm:
Instead of shooting in the dark, go for a diploma kind of course in web development and mobile app development as these two go hand in hand these days. You will thank me later.

Hi,

Thanks.

You don't need to know a language to program.

Unless you want to target industries that use C/C++ and the like, probably best to start with easier languages like python. Its very easy to work with and has a ton of libraries to make things easier still.
Also, best way to learn is by doing. So first learn some basics then start doing small projects, eventually probably better to study at least data structures as well and start using them too.
Don't worry about learning every little thing, google is a easy to use reference - stack exchange and similar sites give answers quickly.

Also, not sure if basic coding will be viable as a career option in future. I haven't seen them in action but AI might automate away some of those jobs so competition might increase.

You can start with C, try not go deep dive into python first, it abstracts away too many low level things that C offers. Try to build console programs with an objective. The most important thing before you run your built program is anticipate first in mind, what should be the output, don't just blindly run the programs, you won't learn as much just by seeing the results. But if you anticipate something before hand and the output doesn't exactly match that, this is where the real learning starts.

Try holy c.

Seriously though, I would recommend python myself. Can do a lot of things, if a bit slow, like llms. Or you may try Go(C 2.0: Electric Boogaloo(not really)). Easy to learn, faster and great potential. Depends mostly on what you want to use it for.

You may also want to reconsider learning programming altogether. Apparently, ai's gonna make programmers obsolete.

Last edited:
First, go for PHP, it will give you the boost that you need to start the journey. Learn a little basic and directly go to Laravel. The key is to build as many projects as you can. Then go to Python or Typescript (Javascript in-law).

Back