User Guides Photoshop - Sin City Effect - Intermediate to Advanced level photoshop

This tutorial will lead you through the process of creating an effect similar to the sample below. This tutorial assumes you have at least a basic working knowledge of photoshop. While many of the techniques are pretty advanced, a beginner should be able to follow along by duplicating the steps shown, and then be able to apply them to other images.
I preface this by saying there are a million ways to do anything in photoshop. There may be shorter ways of accomplishing the same thing, but anyone that has worked in production will understand that it is important to setup your file for later editing. The more control you can have over each aspect of your image, the more detailed you can make it. If your production manager needs to make changes, then you will not want to start all over again. These methods are designed to be able to go back and tweak your image until you are satisfied.

If you try this tutorial, please post your results for others to see, and by all means ask questions :)

Links to sample files
The sample to recreate

sincityexamplerb5.jpg

The file we will be using

tutimagetk8.jpg

My Final Image

finalsh4.jpg

So lets begin...........

step1lyrsbx0.jpg

1. We need to unlock the layer 1st - Hold down the Alt key, and double click on padlock (figure 1)

2. Make a new group and include "Layer 0" - click and drag layer onto folder icon (figure 2)

3. Create a "Hue/Saturation" adjustment layer - Click on Blk/Wht icon (figure 3 above) and select a "Hue/Saturation" adjustment layer.
Select Colorize, move Hue slider until you get red, and bump up the saturation to approximate image below, and click on ok.

huesatadjlyrbo2.jpg
step1limageoq3.jpg

5. Next we are going to erase the parts of the reds we don't want. (here I am choosing to paint in the mask, this will allow for later editing) Select the paint brush tool and change the brush color to black and make sure you have a medium soft edge, then select the MASK on the Hue Saturation adjustment layer, and and start painting black to remove opacity from the "Hue/Saturation" mask until you have isolated the lips as below. (don't forget to paint the inside of the mouth)
step5huesatadjcv7.jpg

step5strtpaintingnn8.jpg
step5lipspaintingvl1.jpg

6.Duplicate the "Hue/Saturation" layer mask onto layer below - Hold down the alt key and drag "Hue/Saturation" mask onto the image/layer below.

6lyrstc5.jpg

and you should now have a nice set of red lips as below

lipsonlyeo3.jpg

7. Then add "Level" adjustment layer to darken lips - click on wht/blk circle at bottom of pallette and select "Levels" and tweak until satisfied with lips.

8. Make a new group and duplicate the image again and delete layer mask by dragging to garbage can at the bottom of layers pallet. Like below

lipspluscolorbackvb8.jpg

You should now have something similar to below.

lipspluscolorbackzg0.jpg

9. Select "Group 1" and change blending mode from "Pass Through' to "Normal"
(this stops the adjustment layers from effecting all layers below adjustment layer, and confines it to ONLY the layers within the group it is located in.)

10. Now select "Group 2" and create another "Hue Saturation" Layer adjustment above the image layer. Take the saturation slider all the way over to the left to remove all color as below.

redlipsblkbackqn8.jpg

11. Select Hue Saturation mask and again select paintbrush tool and use black to paint the inside of the mouth on the mask to bring the color back (no effect or transparency) Leave the teeth black and white, only paint the inside of the mouth. See below.

paintmaskinsidemouthyi5.jpg

You should then see something like below.

insidemouthiw6.jpg

12. now we will isolate the inside of the mouth on it's own layer (with re-editing capability)
In "Group 2" - Hold down the Alt key and select the mask on the Hue/Saturation layer and drag it onto the bottom image layer.
Then select mask on image layer and press the ctrl + I - keys (this will invert the mask isolating the inside of the mouth only. You will now have something like below.

insideisolatedff6.jpg

13. Select "Group 2" and change blending mode from "Pass Through" to "Normal" (this stops the adjustment layers from effecting all layers below adjustment layer, and confines it to ONLY the layers within the group it is located in.)

14. Make a new group - duplicate the image into new "Group 3" and desaturate layer by selecting Image-Adjustments-Desaturate - from the drop down menu's at the top of the program.

15. Add a "Levels" adjustment layer and tweak until you are satisfied.

(Don't worry of it still look a little rough, we are still going to clean it up a bit more by painting the Levels adjustment layer mask.)

See below

desaturatetj3.jpg

You should be something like below.

desatleveljy4.jpg

Now we are going to paint back in some detail and do some softening and clean up

Create a new group - "Group 4" and place it at the top and change blending mode from "Pass Through' to "Normal" (this stops the adjustment layers from effecting all layers below adjustment layer, and confines it to ONLY the layers within the group it is located in.) Collapse Groups 1 & 2 for more workspace room, we don't need them at the moment.

16. Add another image layer and desaturate layer by selecting Image-Adjustments-Desaturate - from the drop down menu's at the top of the program.

17. Add a "Levels" adjustment layer as below

desatdeatilshf0.jpg

...and tweak until you get a nice mix of details like below

desatdetailsrw8.jpg

18. select "Group 4" and add a mask to "Group 4" (by selecting group 4 and clicking on grey square icon with circle, next to black and white adjustment layer icon), select mask and press Ctrl+I to invert from white to black......as below

group4og0.jpg

it will look the same as step 15. See below

desatleveljy4.jpg

19. Now with a white paint brush, paint the mask to reveal softer area's and more detail to help make a cleaner looking image see changes below.

cleanedupkg6.jpg

Ok the main part of the image is done, lets add some background and I'll let you tweak on your own from there. Don't forget, you can go back and re-paint any of these masks with black or white to add or subtract more detail or color etc..... and you can tweak any of the layer adjustments by double clicking on effect icon on adjustment layer....

To create a background of some dark clouds.

To do this we need to make our own mask without painting it in, so that we can isolate the background.

Collapse all groups, and create a new one (Group 5) on top. Check below

20. Add another image layer into Group 5 and press Ctrl+U to bring up the Hue/Saturation properties and slide the saturation layer over to the left until the background blue is really vivid. See below

vividbacktl7.jpg
vividangieij0.jpg

21. Now click on Select-Color Range from the drop down menu, you should have some thing like this

colrangewindwdk3.jpg
colrangeij1.jpg

Now go ahead and select ok when you have the image with the best mix of whites and blacks you can obtain(remember, we are most interested in getting the background area here)

Now click on Select-Modify-Expand and make it 2 pixels.

22. Leaving the area selected - go to the channels pallet, and click on the new mask icon at the bottom of the pallet (it looks just like the new mask icon in the layers pallet-see below for details)

newmasksm6.jpg

When you are finished you will have a black and white image like the one in image in step 21 above.

Now we have to clean it up a bit

bring up the levels Ctrl+L and get some contrast, and you will see all the area's that are messy that we need to clean up ... see below

levelsmaskfw9.jpg

paint out the messy areas in white first, then press Ctrl+I to invert it and clean up some more, then press Ctrl+I to change it back, see below

alpahacleanpp2.jpg

23. Now lets go back to the layers pallet and add in a background image (clouds) into "Group 5" see below

cloudsgc9.jpg
cloudlyrij7.jpg

Go back to the channels pallet, select the "Alpha 1" layer and click on the little circle icon to the far left of the mask icon as above in 22.

This should make a selection around the image, while still selected, go back to the Layers Pallet and select the background image and then click on the new mask icon... as below

newmaskap9.jpg
maskedimagejh0.jpg

Ok I am going to leave you here, I would suggest going back and tweaking this image until you are happy with it and adding some more effects if you want to. As you can see from my final image, I have done some additional work myself.

Ok, seems all are friends again...
Time for a new N00b to show up... like your tutorial up to now, but i didn't make it to step 7. Somehow it doesn't work to drag the Mask on the other layer as you described in step 6. It would be nice if someone could help me. Is there another way to duplicate the mask, or do I have to change Settings to make it possible?

Thank you
Gokus Shadow

6.Duplicate the "Hue/Saturation" layer mask onto layer below - Hold down the alt key and drag "Hue/Saturation" mask onto the image/layer below.

Hold down the alt key before and during dragging, then drop it on the layer you wish to duplicate it to :)

im really new to photoshop...so maybe this is a No0B question...:)

how did u do the background after u finished the tutorial....did u use filters or brushes??

Not a noob question at all :D
I made a layer and filled it with color... then filled it with a lot of noise. Then I used a heavy amount of motion blur to make it look streaked, then I used layer blending mode to blend it with the cloud layer below. (I can't remember which one, but it was like overlay or pin light or something similar.) After using blending mode, I erased the parts I didn't want, and played with the layer transparency.

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
Hold down the alt key before and during dragging, then drop it on the layer you wish to duplicate it to :)

Sorry, i didn't find the time to go the last weeks - so the response comes a little late... I did read the tutorial and I did try it with pushing down "Alt", but it didn't work. Is there any possible reason for that?

Here's my question again:

Time for a new N00b to show up... like your tutorial up to now, but i didn't make it to step 7. Somehow it doesn't work to drag the Mask on the other layer as you described in step 6. It would be nice if someone could help me. Is there another way to duplicate the mask, or do I have to change Settings to make it possible?

Sorry, i didn't find the time to go the last weeks - so the response comes a little late... I did read the tutorial and I did try it with pushing down "Alt", but it didn't work. Is there any possible reason for that?

Huh? that is most definitely a little strange ... and you are continuing to hold down the Alt key while you are dragging, and are not letting go until after you have dropped the mask on the layer ?
If this is indeed the case then I am stumped, I am not sure why this would not work for you, what version are you using?

A longer way around this would be as follows:

Select the layer with the mask on it, go to the channels tab and you will see the mask in the bottom of the channels window

Hold down the Ctrl key (keep holding it down) and click on the mask in the channels window.

This will give you a selection around the area (marching ants)

Go back to the Layers tab

Select the layer that you originally were to drag and drop the mask onto

Now while the selection is still active (marching ants) press the "new mask icon" as shown in the image on step 22.

This should accomplish the same thing for you :)

Substitute this method wherever needed and continue with tutorial :D

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
Huh? that is most definitely a little strange ... and you are continuing to hold down the Alt key while you are dragging, and are not letting go until after you have dropped the mask on the layer ?
If this is indeed the case then I am stumped, I am not sure why this would not work for you, what version are you using?

A longer way around this would be as follows:

Select the layer with the mask on it, go to the channels tab and you will see the mask in the bottom of the channels window

Hold down the Ctrl key (keep holding it down) and click on the mask in the channels window.

This will give you a selection around the area (marching ants)

Go back to the Layers tab

Select the layer that you originally were to drag and drop the mask onto

Now while the selection is still active (marching ants) press the "new mask icon" as shown in the image on step 22.

This should accomplish the same thing for you :)

Substitute this method wherever needed and continue with tutorial :D

Ok, thx - that one did work!:hap2:

I'm using Photoshop 7.0. when I bought the Software, I played around a lot and might have changed important settings...

Wow, I can't believe someone ripped off my tutorial, I guess thats kind of flattering ... in a weird kind of way :)

If you like you can check here... I posted in July under name pixelpainter :D

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
Wow, I can't believe someone ripped off my tutorial, I guess thats kind of flattering ... in a weird kind of way :)

If you like you can check here... I posted in July under name pixelpainter :D

dude never make tutorials like this, always make them in a single image file!
i too had a lot of problems with people ripping my stuff on different different forums. so thts why i started making stuff in 1 single image.

dude never make tutorials like this, always make them in a single image file!
What exactly do you mean by single image file ?

You are right about being more careful, but to be perfectly honest I don't really care too much, I enjoyed doing it for the sake of doing it. If someone likes it enough to rip it off... more power to them, it's a sad sorry way to promote yourself.... deep down they will always know that they didn't do it, and I will always know I did. And lastly, it means that someone liked it enough to want to emulate it .... and that just makes it that much sweeter for me ....:)

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
What exactly do you mean by single image file ?

You are right about being more careful, but to be perfectly honest I don't really care too much, I enjoyed doing it for the sake of doing it. If someone likes it enough to rip it off... more power to them, it's a sad sorry way to promote yourself.... deep down they will always know that they didn't do it, and I will always know I did. And lastly, it means that someone liked it enough to want to emulate it .... and that just makes it that much sweeter for me ....:)

its a anti-rip measure. i always do it as i learnt it the hard way :no: :no:

this is wut im talking abt:
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/basic-signature-making-tutorial-102237.html

Back