Phone to replace my XCD-35

shaunak

Adept
Requirement Summary:
- Must have a high DPI screen, even if the screen is small-ish. I read quite a bit on the phone and a high DPI makes the experience comfortable.
- Compass sensor is crucial.
- Must tether with my laptop

----------------------------------------------

1. Q: Budget?

7k - 12k (Lower preferred)

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
TFT - High DPI - Can be small, but must be crisp.

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

None

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

Dont care about the camera. Just that it should have one.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
Android [4.x?]

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
3G, Wifi with tethering

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
Standard mails, internet, reading books, as a tether point for laptop

10. Q: Any other requirements?
Must have a compass sensor. Kinda crucial.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
The Lenovo series, G300 - nothing concrete though

------------------------------------------------------

Backstory
I had a Dell XCD-35. It had an awesome screen [3.5" - 800 x 480]. It is a phone that meets all my requirements. Unfortunately it went bad within warranty. Dell said they needed 60 days to fix it. And after 60 days they said they need 30 more. I dont think they are going to give it back anytime soon. (Lived without a phone for 2+ months so far btw...) I have to leave for Jodhpur on 8th Dec for a conference and I will need a phone then. That is the only reason I am looking for one. So if dell does not return my phone in 5 more days [most likely the case] I will go out and but a new one.

i upgraded from my dell xcd35 to t-mobile g2x/optimus 2x and i was fairly impressed at the change. With the custom ICS roms and its tegra 2 processor and crisp screen, smooth performance, i am more than happy. Though i am looking for a phone with bigger than 4" screen. You can get a used optimus 2x and you will be surprised at the performance.

Great phone, great specs, but no compass sensor sadly.

Did you check Micromax A110 ?
No compass sensor, not sure about reliability.

Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos.
Its too antiquated a phone to consider buying now TBH, especially at the price Samsung sells it at.

Based on reviews on Flipkart, Huawei g300 seems to be good option for the price it retails.
Do not opt for Xolo A700, as it is a new phone i.e. still untested.
Leaning towards the Huawei X5 - slightly cheaper. But will consider.

Get this for 7800 Huawei Ideos X5 U8800 Mobile Phone . Buy Best Huawei Ideos X5 U8800 Mobile Phone at Lowest Price Online

And then here's what you can do with it: Huawei U8800 / Ideos X5 - U8800.MoDaCo.com - MoDaCo
DarkAngel just bought it. It's a pretty good phone. Or if you can spare another 1500-2000 then go for Huawei g300.
Looks like my best bet. Thanks :)

90 days to repair a phone??

Raise a stink and ask for a brand new replacement!!!
Mera Bharat Mahan. Im sick of Dell ATM. Had this been America, they would have given me a stand-in atleast.
I was saving this cash to buy a flash. I wish I could sue em but well, life goes on.

i upgraded from my dell xcd35 to t-mobile g2x/optimus 2x and i was fairly impressed at the change. With the custom ICS roms and its tegra 2 processor and crisp screen, smooth performance, i am more than happy. Though i am looking for a phone with bigger than 4" screen. You can get a used optimus 2x and you will be surprised at the performance.
20K is way out of my budget. [ LG Optimus 2X P990 - Buy LG Optimus 2X P990 Online at Best Price in India: Comparison, Ratings, Reviews, Specifications of Branded Mobiles: Flipkart.com ]

---------------------------
Thank you for all your replies. Will get the x5 if dell doesnt finish their RnD on my phone by Dec 4th. You guys are awesome.

Going a bit off topic here Shaunak, but I guess you should get onto twitter and start tweeting about how Dell has been handling your case. Once you get loud on twitter, they tend to notice. My friend got a lappy replaced like this. Get to know who's the country head of dell and mention him along with Dell India in your tweet too.

P.S: If you do buy an X5 please post a proper review and how you go about upgrading it.

Going a bit off topic here Shaunak, but I guess you should get onto twitter and start tweeting about how Dell has been handling your case. Once you get loud on twitter, they tend to notice. My friend got a lappy replaced like this. Get to know who's the country head of dell and mention him along with Dell India in your tweet too.

P.S: If you do buy an X5 please post a proper review and how you go about upgrading it.

Tweeted. Skeptical though -
Shaunak De
‏@shaunakde
@Dell_IN - Its been nearly 70 days and you still haven't fixed my XCD-35 (was under warranty). Im sick of being w/o a phone. #dell
----------------------

Also sent this email

To: seema_m1@dell.com, Dellindia_telecoms@dell.com
Hello, My XCD-35's screen had stopped responding to touch (at certain points). I submitted it to Dell's Andheri West, Mumbai service center on the 22nd of September for repairs (under warranty). I was told that the repairs would take 60 days. Although 60 days is quite a long time, I still agreed assuming that it would definitely repaired by then. On November 22nd I went to the service center only to be informed that it would take 30 more days to repair. Today is the 28th of November. I have been without a phone for over two months now. I hope you recognize that I have been very patient in this regard. However I need to travel in December and its pressing that I get my phone back. I had not invested in a Dell product to be left disconnected in a strange city like this. In my view the time taken by your service center has been long enough and I do have a pressing need for my phone. I request you to either 1. speed up the repair process so that I may have it back before the 2nd of December. or 2. issue me a standby phone for at-least the duration of my travel or 3. replace the phone

Back