Budget 10-15K Phone for my Mom

Ksavai

Disciple
Story till now
As i needed phone for mom, she don't need much apps but needs simple phone.
Her requirements
1. Good camera with flash
2. FM radio
3. Basic browser, whatsapp
4. some music
5. bigger screen (around 4 inch)
These made me choose windows platform for other review.

Now as my choice
1. Lumia 520 - no flash
2. Lumia 620 - no FM, smaller screen
3. Lumia 720 - its good but little out of budget (any idea about sub 15k price)
4. HTC 8S - everything looks good but did not find any good recommendation This one fits in her needs but need review about this phone. (4gb is -ve point but not concern because not installing many apps)

Creating this thread to know
1. is HTC 8S is comparable to Lumia 620?
2. Any deal for Lumia 720 under 15K?
3. Any other phone I did not find out.
4. Should I bother to check android phone or stick to windows?

Questions:-
1. Budget?
A: 10-15K
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: any
3. Preferred display type?
A: Around 4 Inch
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: none
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required a 5MP+ camera. Flash. (MUST)
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Windows Phone, Andorid
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, Wifi
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Calling, Camera, Music
10. Any other requirements?
A: FM radio
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Lumia 520,620,720 (if under 15K), HTC 8S, Galaxy S Advance, Desire X

720 is the best of the bunch taking into consideration your point 1, but whatsapp functionality is still iffy on WP8. FM functionality will come out with a software update.

When is your deadline ?

yes if its under 15k im not thinking any other option other than 720 but if its out of budget how about HTC 8S?

Deadline is Aug end so around 2 weeks but can be extended till month.

Verify the whatsapp functionality first. Check out user forums and see what people say. FM update is supposed to come out sometime this month. What phone did your mum use previously ? would the difference in UI be an issue here.

You do not have a budget restriction. Think about it.

If you can raise 80% of the cost then what stops you getting the remaining 20%. Time ? you have a month.

Pick the phone that matches your requirements first, then work the budget.

Galaxy grand is another that does good photos. But its bulkier, costs more and still won't beat the 720.

go for the lumia 720.
you can get it for around 15.5k with coupons on ebay.
use the time till deadline to hunt for coupons.
i was in a similar situation and bought the lumia 720 for my mom and she totally loves it.
great battery life,simple UI,good cam,fits in hand well.

Thanks for pointing out those issues.

Whatsapp is not on top priority, checking web found out it got video/audio sending problem and notification problem. Sending messages and photos are working fine. But as I said its not in priority, can live without it.

She have some bada OS samsung brand phone which sucks but she can learn new OS thats not the question.

FM I checked, it should come this month.

Galaxy grand is too big - wont fit in her clutch/purse.

Looks like 720 it is will search for good deal for a week and find out in local stores too.

PS:- still no comment about HTC 8S?

if you are buying windows you gotta buy nokia. that's it. Because among all the vendors, Nokia ia the only one which supports the OS. Also they have bunch of apps which are exclusive and are really good. eg : HEre maps, city lens, smart shoot etc.
Watsapp functionality has been solved long ago.
I believe a person a selling a lumia 720 brand new on the forum for 13.5k. You can look there.

Finally got red Nokia 720 today.
Price 15900. From alfa, irla, mumbai.

Awesome phone. Great camera and great hardware. She managed to do almost everything out of the box. No learning curve.

Whatsapp working fine. Just no audio video fwd. That's it.

One software bug. If you skip Microsoft login screen for 1st time there will be error installing any app when you create account later. I had to reset the phone. That was the only solution on net. Other than that no hiccups.

If you are not keep on apps this shld be choice

Am very tempted to get this device myself. it fulfills my basic requirements out of the box

phone
internet
maps
camera
battery life (needs battery saver to be enabled)

But i would get the black one, as it gives more options with cases.

16k is a fantastic price for red. Flipkart is the cheapest option i can find for 17k. On the street everybody wants 18k.

Last edited:
Back