CPU/Mobo Phenom II 920 or Q6600

spidy333

Disciple
Hi all,

I need your help regarding the processor and motherboard combination.. All the reviews are emphasized on Phenom II 940 and they neglected the 920 for most part.. So is it worthy when compared with Q6600..

These are the combinations I am thinking of...

Q6600 + GA-P35-S3G (15k) or Q6600 + GA-EP45-DS3R (17.5k) or

Phenom II 920 + Jetway HA-06 (18k) or Phenom II 920 + GA-MA78GM-S2H (17.5k)

So which do you suggest.. I really need help and I will be gaming in 1440x900 resolution.. and I'm building system in this weekend so cant wait till the rumored Intel price drops..

Will a Corsair VX450W be sufficient for Phenom II 920 and HD4850.. As AMD CPU's use higher voltage than Q6600.. Also I have seen some overclocking benchies.. core voltage is around 1.5v to go for 3.8Ghz.. handling that much core voltage by a 4-5k mobo.. Is it possible?

E8400 + GA-EP45-DS3R, or the q6600 if a quad is must. the AT review shows benches run at stock so its a 2.8/3ghz phenom II run against a 2.4ghz q6600. its mentioned in the same review that clock to clock core 2 quads are still faster, the q6600 can do 3.8ghz on a good cooler and e0 c2d's can do 4.2-4.5ghz, at which speeds they'll be faster than the phenom II

^So do you think I am better off with Q6600 (Yes - quad is must.. I will be doing some rendering and modelling stuff) as I am also getting a good motherboard in there.. or Phenom II with the 4-5k motherboards...

I might not get a seperate cooler as I'm already on a tight budget.. and might use it at stock for most of the time.. How much can I oc the Q6600 on stock cooler.. I am expecting some 2.6-2.8Ghz.. Is it possible..?

Ok.. I think i will get the Q6600 and OC it to 2.6-2.8Ghz on stock.. If temps are high I will be back to factory config.. and I might get a cooler some day so.. I think Q6600 is right choice for me.. what do you think?

I think same. :)
spidy333 said:
Ok.. I think i will get the Q6600 and OC it to 2.6-2.8Ghz on stock.. If temps are high I will be back to factory config.. and I might get a cooler some day so.. I think Q6600 is right choice for me.. what do you think?

what??? taken decision so fast? Why dont u read entire 20 page review for AT and TR (techreport)? I dont think in current scenario, spending 10 for processor and 7-8k for mobo for old intel plateform is good.....

AT was refering to newer quad versions of intels Q9* so they are anyway better than Q6600 with finer manu process as well.... think about it.

U get AM+ future compatibility with amd, remember....

And pl dont think i am talking things in air, neither i want to have fight with guys recommending intels... i have read both and entire reviews, mentioned earlier....

Harpy.eagle said:
what??? taken decision so fast? Why dont u read entire 20 page review for AT and TR (techreport)? I dont think in current scenario, spending 10 for processor and 7-8k for mobo for old intel plateform is good.....
old intel platform? :S the p45 is amongst the latest intel chipset and had everything that any amd platform offers and then some. and even if the q6600 is a kentsfield its still faster than phenom II clock to clock, clocks better than a deneb and consumes less power too, so what exactly will he be gaining by going for a deneb :S . amd will be shifting to ddr3 with socket am3 soon so getting a 790gx board right now is the worst decision the op could make :no: . if you want future proof, then nehalem is the only way right now :p

I know one thing for sure.. whichever way I go I have to change my motherboard for future compatibility.. So no point in this..

And I'm very much concerned about the power consumption.. as I have seen some OC benches for p2 920 vcore voltage has to be around 1.56 for 3.6-3.8Ghz (1GHz from factory value).. In my budget I cant get a motherboard that can handle this much vcore values.. I either end up frying the mosfets or processor..

And as far as the review goes.. I've read them in some 8-9 sites and what I gained from them is p2 940 is absolutely a competitor for Intel and it oc's well also with its unlocked multiplier.. As far as the p2 920 goes it beats Q6600 marginally and gets beaten(very few of course) in some by a fraction.. and I seriously doubt its OC'ing capability as no review seems to talk about it.. So thats y the decision.. Its not a decision made in haste..

AMD Phenom II anyday way faster and even if you OC the AMD's oc just as well....Also if your rendering just see most of the rendering tests at AT the AMD's dominate that segment.

Also 45nm runs cool and power savings..

apollyon said:
old intel platform? :S the p45 is amongst the latest intel chipset and had everything that any amd platform offers and then some. and even if the q6600 is a kentsfield its still faster than phenom II clock to clock, clocks better than a deneb and consumes less power too, so what exactly will he be gaining by going for a deneb :S . amd will be shifting to ddr3 with socket am3 soon so getting a 790gx board right now is the worst decision the op could make :no: . if you want future proof, then nehalem is the only way right now :p

Power consumption is lower for Deneb

AnandTech: AMD Phenom II X4 940 & 920: A True Return to Competition

Have you seen that the idles are better than a q9400 and the load is about 10 watts away from it. Don't tell me that a 65nm counterpart which was launched 3yrs ago can match that same power consumption.

Also lets talk about clock to clock if he wants to OC the MAX on a stock cooler hes getting is 2.8 with temps in control. You can google and you will faind an insane ammount of results in which a Phenom II is being rum at 3.6 with a voltage of 1.4 and temps are easily under control. with stock cooler.

The only test where the Q6600 actually outperforms the 920 is the excel test which clearly favours intel architecture. Lets not talk about biased apps as look at the Sony Vegas BlueRay creation the 920 thrashes everything.

So to me the Deneb looks a far better product than a Q6600.

H2O said:
Also lets talk about clock to clock if he wants to OC the MAX on a stock cooler hes getting is 2.8 with temps in control. You can google and you will faind an insane ammount of results in which a Phenom II is being rum at 3.6 with a voltage of 1.4 and temps are easily under control. with stock cooler.

The only test where the Q6600 actually outperforms the 920 is the excel test which clearly favours intel architecture. Lets not talk about biased apps as look at the Sony Vegas BlueRay creation the 920 thrashes everything.

So to me the Deneb looks a far better product than a Q6600.

lol who said you can clock the 6600 to only 2.8ghz on the stock cooler? are you talking about your own personal experience or something you read off the net? :) i've run a g0 q6600 @ 3.3ghz on the stock cooler and 4ghz on a ultima 90 24/7 for nearly 4 months.

from your beloved AT article: "It was important on the last page to point out that the predominant difference between Phenom and Phenom II is the larger L3 cache; although there are minor architectural tweaks we're fundamentally looking at a core that remains very similar to the Phenom it replaced. The larger L3 cache helps Phenom II stay fed more frequently without painful trips down main memory lane, but Intel's architectures should still be faster at the same clock speed."

and it seems you didnt read the article carefully enough :p cuz the 6600 outperforms the p2 920 in farcry 2, sysmark 2007 e-learning, sysmark 2007 productivity, photoshop cs3 and microsoft excel 2007 and is close enough in the remaining apps inspite of a 400mhz handicap.
but i was wrong about one thing, it seems am3 phenoms will be compatible with am2+ boards.

Well since we've started quoting random lines heres one

"Compared to the Core 2 Quad Q9400, the Phenom II X4 940 is clearly the better pick. While it's not faster across the board, more often than not the 940 is equal to or faster than the Q9400"

Now please don't tell me that a q6600 is actually better than a q9400. Lets see incase of benchmarks you mentioned 2 sysmarks the rest are all won by AMD.

Also in PS intel beats AMD by a score of 0.2s. Lets talk of a real world differance.

Don't know about the gaming benchies because this website says something else

Legion Hardware

Anyways no point fighting about this you will favor the intel and me the AMD so no point flaming each other.

Well my friend has a Q6600 it reached its limits at 28 on the stock cooler congrats for your chip seems like a good one maybe the same batch shripad had posted about.

I can't provide any expert advice or quote any reviews :p Just mentioning my personal view incase it helps. I had a lowly 3600+, 690g and 2gb 667mhz ram. I didn't spend to spend too much on an entire cpu+mobo+ram change. Luckily amd provided me with the means to an affordable step by step upgrade :) I got the asus 780g board along with 4gb gskill ram. The 780g has good enough graphics so I could even sell off my 7600gs (I don't game much anyway. btw, bikey, whats happening about that?). And the 4gb ram sure helps a lot in vista.

Next, after 2-3 months, I'll get a Phenom II. Hopefully it'll drop to 8k by then. Then another 6-7 months later, I can go for a AM3 board (still using the ddr2). Saving up for another 4-5 months further will let me splurge on a new P2 cpu and DDR3 ram.

Nothing major or drool worthy here, but these small upgrades every 4-6 months will keep my system new and interesting :) The intel approach would be to spend a bundle at once and then sit tight for a much longer period of time.

Back