Personal Experience with Apple Customer Service

Amaresh

Adept
So the other day I was on my bike when my iPhone (3GS, 32GB) slipped out of my pocket and fell on the road. I immediately got off the bike and went to pick up the phone breathing a sigh of relief when I noticed that the screen was not cracked.

However, to my horror the phone wouldn't start up no matter what I did. The LCD underneath the front glass seemed to have some bleeding but apart from that I couldn't see anything else wrong. Trying to put the phone into DFU mode also failed.

Giving up all hope, I headed to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. I should mention that my 3GS was 2 years old (out of warranty) and was purchased 2nd hand. Also it was purchased carrier locked in the States.

I told the genius there how I broke the phone and after looking at it for a few minutes he came back and told me that the phone had been damaged beyond repair, so they would replace it with a new(refurb?) one for £139. I immediately said yes, and within a matter of a few minutes, I had a shiny new 3GS in place of my ageing one. I should also point out that the new one is factory unlocked.

I'm not sure what you guys will make of this but I'm pleased to know that paying the Apple tax has its benefits. I'm not sure any other company would have done the above?

Apple has always been in the forefront in terms of providing good customer service. I recall several instances here. Had an iPod Touch 2G which fell down from my trouser pocket and had a dent at the back as a result. The display was screwed at that region with several dead pixels. Gave it to the service center and got a replacement after a day. Presumed it was brand new since there were no signs of usage, no scratches at the mirror finish SS back either.

Even superczar happened to say a couple of good things about their service. Something regarding an imported Macbook and/or its power brick.

Glad to hear they gave you a FU 3GS as a replacement. And I though UK retails only FU iPhones? Or do they have carrier locked ones as well?

You're right. The UK only retails FU iPhones, however I was worried that having a locked iPhone would make matters complicated.

Amaresh said:
So the other day I was on my bike when my iPhone (3GS, 32GB) slipped out of my pocket and fell on the road. I immediately got off the bike and went to pick up the phone breathing a sigh of relief when I noticed that the screen was not cracked.

However, to my horror the phone wouldn't start up no matter what I did. The LCD underneath the front glass seemed to have some bleeding but apart from that I couldn't see anything else wrong. Trying to put the phone into DFU mode also failed.

Giving up all hope, I headed to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. I should mention that my 3GS was 2 years old (out of warranty) and was purchased 2nd hand. Also it was purchased carrier locked in the States.

I told the genius there how I broke the phone and after looking at it for a few minutes he came back and told me that the phone had been damaged beyond repair, so they would replace it with a new(refurb?) one for £139. I immediately said yes, and within a matter of a few minutes, I had a shiny new 3GS in place of my ageing one. I should also point out that the new one is factory unlocked.

I'm not sure what you guys will make of this but I'm pleased to know that paying the Apple tax has its benefits. I'm not sure any other company would have done the above?
wrt generosity... then not sure.

but if speaking wrt logistics... Then in all fairness, apple has a few models over years. manufacturers on other platforms release more that that munber of models every quarter. It is highly possible that these manufacturers will not have stock in abundance to offer such replacements in the 1st place.

however, under warranty, many manufacturers offer free upgrade OR an alternative if willing to pay extra.
Yet to encounter an instance where this was done for out of warranty products....may be we will have to ask to know..

but im glad to hear your experience.
These things can potentially grab customers. :)

I also have an excellent experience with Apple UK. I had been to regent street London Apple Store accompaying my friend.
His Iphone -4 which he used for almost 10 months is getting freezed at times when browsing internet. I was surprised , when Apple executive brought a brand new apple phone and gave it to him without even asking a word.
He just checked the phone with a IR/Barcode type device asked us to wait for 10 mins and got a Brand New Boxed Phone.. Truly Amazing.
Question : Does it have something to do with the Country Laws?

Apple warranty in India is also amazing i got my ipod replaced in 1 day no questions asked.All is told was battery is weak when it was not :p.

Had another awesome experience from Apple support. I purchased my iphone from a parallel import store here in NZ.I am having issues with the home button of the phone ,it does not register the click properly .Spoke the parallel import store they said we will take at least 3 to 4 weeks as the phone has to be sent back to HK

Called up the Apple support NZ to give a try with warranty, told the agent that i dont have a bill and i got the phone as gift and now i am facing issues.No questions asked they are ready to replace the phone next week :clap::clap:

Now this is called true customer service.Another reason for me not to get any other phone other than iPhone

Service is good even in India.

You will get replacement product in your hand in max 3-4 days.

My iPod was replaced in 2 days flat. And it was completely screwed up. Got shiny new piece on 3rd day as my original was not repairable. (though warranty of original was carried over )

Service is good in India . I had my shuffle in my jeans which was washed away by the mumbai monsoons . I didnt realize that the shuffle was in my pocket and enjoyed a good wet evening . At night i saw that the shuffle was oozing water and refused to start , i tried starting it after 3 dry days but yet it wouldnt start . took it to apple service center at andheri and i was given a brand new shuffle after 2 days even when the previous shuffle had only 20 days warranty remaining !

My big issue with Apple in India is that they dont provide warranty to parallel import phones, or a phone bought abroad. What I fail to understand is, we have paid for the phone, the website shows the warranty information as well, but when you go to get any support they will not even touch the phone...why??

Just spoke to Apple again regarding battery drain issue my friend is facing with his iPhone4 they are sending out a brand new phone and not a refurbished phone.

I have nothing but good experience with Apple USA. They actually respect customers and also anyone in general who sets foot into the door. The returns and exchanges has been so smooth. My experience was I decided to use my ATT upgrade last year to buy the 3gs in July. At the time I thought let me buy a 3gs and prolly wait for IP4 till September or October. But realized how IP4 was good and what a bone headed move I made. Went back to the store after 15 days (Since I was within a 30 day warranty) and explained to them how I wanted to buy Iphone 4 and accidently bought the 3gs. Only question they asked me was "Sure, do you have your receipt?" and rest was so smooth, I was walking out the door with an Iphone 4 in my hand. They even called ATT and helped me with setting up. The crazy thing about this is, I bought my Iphone 3gs from California, went home to Denver and exchanged it at an Denver store. So their service is uniform regardless of where I go.

Despite hating Apple and being an die hard Android fan, I give due respect for Apple and its customer service.

all the good service is only out of India, in India u still yet the india service treatment which is uniform throughout if not any better than most local brands.

Back