Pentium M vs Celeron M vs P-IV vs AMD sempron

Some of you may think this sounds like a weird comparo with all these processors targeted at different segments altogether...

It's also not a very detailed report....I had posted it for another user, Mavericko who wanted buying advice for a laptop....
But I hope that this will come in useful for a lot of other people too:
If someone wants me write a more detailed report, I will do that ...As of now, I am not even sure if this might come in useful for anyone so don't want to go thru a huge effort for nothing...

Also, Plz Forgive the typos :
------------------------------
There's another intersting fact that not many are aware of.....That a Celeron M is as good as a normal P-IV but with the addd advantage of lower battery consumption....

Recently, me and a couple of other friends did a comparo of our laptops and this is what we found:

Test configs:
1-My Compaq V2010 with Pentium-M 725 (1.6 Gig) with 512 MB ram, 4200 RPM 40 GB HDD and Intel Extreme Graphics (1250 $ ~ 55K) and wide-screen ( 1280X768 ) display

2- Friedn's Compaq V2035 with Celeron -M 1.5(52K Chennai price + 2.7K for extra RAM), 512 MB RAM (2X256) 4200 RPM 40 GB HDD and Intel Extreme Graphics (Rupees-52K)and wide-screen ( 1280X768 ) display

3- Friend's Toshiba S-331 (don't rem the xact no) with P-IV 3.06, 256 RAM, 40 GB HDD, on board gfx Radeon 7000 IGP (think he paid 61K for this 1 month ago)

4- My desktop with AMD Sempron 2400, FX5200, 80 GB 7200 HDD, 256 MB RAM

I have posted the benchmark results that we ran from what remains inmy memory..(but I do have all the results (exact figures) on an xls somewhere, so if someone is interested, I will take the pain of hunting for it :)))

a) Performance: We ran a lot of benchmarks + also tried gaming with Unreal Tourney and UT 2004 @ 800X600

The benchmark whose results I remember (And would be relevant for many of you as this benchmark taxes purely the CPU ) is Super Pi (calculates the value of Pi to a pre-defined number of digits)
Super Pi at 2 Million digits (all non-essential apps shut down)
1- P-M 725- 2 min 20seconds
2- Celeron M Laptop - 2 min 37 seconds
3 - P-IV laptop - 2 min (but it got appallingly hot while running the test)
4- Sempron Desktop: 2 Min 34 seconds

Now in % terms, that's not really much of a difference b/w the P-M and C-M, is it?

Unreal Tourney (Original): Don't rememeber the FPS count but the gameplay was extremely smooth on all the systems (easily <40fps on all)

UT 2004:

Desktop- Very playable with avg fps over 35 fps
My laptop: Decent Playability with fps in the range of 25-30 but with all effects turned off
Celeron Laptop - Surprisingly, it yielded the same fps nearly all the time (probably the bottleneck was the GFX subsystem ) (again with all effects turned off)
Toshiba Laptop: FPS~30, but game kept crashing ...also the laptop was consistently hot to the touch....

Interpretation: On board GFX on current gen laptops are fine enuff for casual gamers, but for someone who wnats to play the latest and greatest stuff, A GFX card is a must...
More importantly, A laptop will never match the performance of a desktop (though we didn't have a laptop with a good GFX card, but other factors like HDD speed etc will drag the sysstem down even on one with a decent GFXcard...)

B) Battery life: Config 1 gives an average battery life of 3-3.5 hours with average load (surfing + word processing etc), so does config 2, config 3 has a poor battery life ~1-1.5 hr

1,2 have a 4.4 AH battery...not sure abouth the battery capacity of the Toshiba Model

C) HDD speed: Tested using HDtune for burst Data access rate
-All the laptops gave an Avg 24-25 MBps (blame it on the 4200 RPM HDDs)
- The Desktop gave ~40 MBPS :)

D) weight : 1 and 2are 2.5 kgs, config 3 is 3.1 kg
FInal Thoughts:

1- The price difference between a Celeron M and Pentium M doesn't justify the performance diffference.....
2- A P-IV may be faster than a M series (Dothan or Banias core ) processorbut the high heat dissipation and battery drainage makes it a bad choice for a laptop...Howver, the superior (??) architecture of the M series ensures that even at a ~1/2 clock speed of a P-IV, the performance difference is miniscule
-
Goddamn not an angel when I die !!!

so you got the acer in the end kingy ? :cool2: how much did it cost ya.

the scores good too..

50k without sales tax and octroi, but that includes carrying case, the "freight and handling charge" and other such crap. Add 3.5k for local taxes = 53.5k Then added 1870 Rs of RAM.
The build quality is amazing. I mean I have seen new IBMs, and even an HP Pvillion (which since it is not sold in India, must have been imported from the States) and believe u me, they all look like crap S*** in front of the acer. I got it 3 weeks ago, but have been very busy since then. Will write a full review tonite, cos I get free (a bit only) tonite.

dude cud 1 upgrade that celeron processor on acers and toshiba satellites to northwoods as 2.4 ghz celeron from both the stables ,acers and toshiba r being sold at quite a low
prices

Back