PC's for a Gaming Cafe

Daedelus

Disciple
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to start a gaming cafe in north mumbai. Me and my partners have come up with a location and all.
The only thing that remains is deciding the configs of the pc's. We've decided on a budget of Rs.4 lakhs for 20pcs.
The config we've come up with is-
Monitor-19" lcd (brand not decided)
KB- Basic Logitech
Mouse- Logitech Mx 518
Graphic Card- Radeon 5670 1Gb (or something better)
CPU/Mobo- AMD x4 965 or an X2 (confused here)
RAM- 2GB 133mhz corsair
Cabby/PSU- nothing fancy here
HDD- 320GB Seagate
Headphones :huh:

The main aim is that this config should last for atleast 3 years with a push to the 4th year.
If some of you guys can please help me fill in some blanks it would be great. I'm not sure which of the Sellers here in this forum are good in after sales service, cos you never know which pc component will konk off and how long will it take to get a replacement :huh:

Some suggestions will be preferred, since the no. of PC's will be 20... so I was hoping on how to better the config's within the budget.

Thanks

Daedelus said:
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to start a gaming cafe in north mumbai. Me and my partners have come up with a location and all.

The only thing that remains is deciding the configs of the pc's. We've decided on a budget of Rs.4 lakhs for 20pcs.

The config we've come up with is-

Monitor-19" lcd (brand not decided)

KB- Basic Logitech

Mouse- Logitech Mx 518

Graphic Card- Radeon 5670 1Gb (or something better)

CPU/Mobo- AMD x4 965 or an X2 (confused here)

RAM- 2GB 133mhz corsair

Cabby/PSU- nothing fancy here

HDD- 320GB Seagate

Headphones :huh:

The main aim is that this config should last for atleast 3 years with a push to the 4th year.

If some of you guys can please help me fill in some blanks it would be great. I'm not sure which of the Sellers here in this forum are good in after sales service, cos you never know which pc component will konk off and how long will it take to get a replacement :huh:

Some suggestions will be preferred, since the no. of PC's will be 20... so I was hoping on how to better the config's within the budget.

Thanks
4 lakhs / 20 = 20k Per PC...

within 20k you would hardly be able to create any gaming rig... but yeah you would be able to build casual gaming rigs...

i would advice you to increase the budget or buy 15 PCs now and more 5 later... :)

^ +1
However, IF it is possible for you to go slightly over budget, consider the following:-

(prices from DA's guide)

Component - Part Name - Price

Processor AMD Athlon II X3 440(3Ghz, 3 cores, 1.5MB Cache) 3250
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H 3400
RAM Corsair 2GB DDRIII 1333MHz VS2GB1333D3 G 1050
HDD 500GB Seagate 7200.12 1750
GPU Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5 4400
Monitor Dell E1609 4300 / Dell 1920IN 5500
Cabinet Zebronics Bijili w/o SMPS 1100
PSU/SMPS FSP SAGAII 350w 1500
Key Board Logitech/MS SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700
Total = About ~22k
Now you can ditch the tri-core for a dual and/or go for a cheaper motherboard which may bring the price of the config within budget. Sticking to a small display will make sure that games run tight and fluid.

That leaves out the headphones then...

EDIT: Apologies for the terrible (lack of) formatting, I've no idea how to go about it. XD

id advise you to get 10 pcs !

so 40k per pc .

and when your cafe starts minting money get 10 more maybe !

also , contact ati and cooler master and nvidia etc.. they paste ads on your cafe walls and provide you with their products :)

Amien said:
^ +1

However, IF it is possible for you to go slightly over budget, consider the following:-

(prices from DA's guide)

Component - Part Name - Price

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H 3400

RAM Corsair 2GB DDRIII 1333MHz VS2GB1333D3 G 1050

HDD 500GB Seagate 7200.12 1750

GPU Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5 4400

Monitor Dell E1609 4300 / Dell 1920IN 5500

Cabinet Zebronics Bijili w/o SMPS 1100

PSU/SMPS FSP SAGAII 350w 1500

Key Board Logitech/MS SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700

Total = About ~22k

Now you can ditch the tri-core for a dual and/or go for a cheaper motherboard which may bring the price of the config within budget. Sticking to a small display will make sure that games run tight and fluid.

That leaves out the headphones then...

EDIT: Apologies for the terrible (lack of) formatting, I've no idea how to go about it. XD
You forgot to add ODD in the config that you have suggested... plus 2GB Corsair DDR3 RAM doesn't cost 1050 anymore... :)

Hades. said:
You forgot to add ODD in the config that you have suggested... plus 2GB Corsair DDR3 RAM doesn't cost 1050 anymore... :)
Why ODD for every PC!!! Just get ODD for one PC and in the rest install using pen drive!!

Else just get a one external ODD and be done with with. Waste of money to get a ODD for every PC!!

@OP - Since you are planning to buy for 3-4 years try to get a more powerful PC than a gaming PC in a 25k budget!! Else get a moderate GPU now and be ready to upgrade the GPU's alone after 2 yrs.

Offtopic:-
Amien said:
Apologies for the terrible (lack of) formatting, I've no idea how to go about it. xD
Add a [ TABLE] tag to the beginning and [ /TABLE] tag at the end(remove space of-course)..

So this:-
[ TABLE]Processor AMD Athlon II X3 440(3Ghz, 3 cores, 1.5MB Cache) 3250
... ... ...
Keyboard Logitech/MS SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700[ /TABLE]

Gives this:-
... ... ...
Keyboard Logitech/MS SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700

Thanks guys for your responses.

The budget is so less, since we dont plan to stop with one cafe. We plan to start a chain of it. Hence...

Also can you guys point me to a good dealer who gives good after sales service.

^^

First make the profits from one initial jump-off point then later depending on the rate of success and popularity push forward with other expansion plans.

1. dont go overboard with the cards. buy one or two high end cards, but keep mid end cards on the rest

dont bother with headphones. else buy the cheapest ones you can find. folks will treat em like crap, and eventually ruin em. If they insist, get deals on headphones for your best customers, but dont keep any in your cafe

and get 20/22" full HD monitors

Most of the gamers in mumbai play DOTA, I guess a pc worth 20-25k is vry gud for DOTA. Its the most popular game played around the world and india too(specially mumbai) Jus extend ur budget about 20k and get really gud pc's.

Yu get headphones with mic(ppl use it for skype) in mumbai for 150 bucks as per my knowledge. Its better yu dont buy costly headphones cuz the gamers use it in a bad manner at cafe's. I've experienced all this cuz i daily visit a gaming cafe!

Basically people just play CS/Dota... nothing else 90% of the time.

But since the pc's need to last 3-4 yrs... i was thinking between an x2 or x4 and 5670 or a 5770.

a 10k card to last 3~4 years or two 3k cards to last 5~6 years. Since you're starting your own business, its time to start thinking in terms of TCO, ROI, TVM etc. Else you will not be able to run a profitable business :)

First try to get an idea of what sort of games that will be in demand as others indicated. Then you need to have an idea of which age group your majority of customers is going to be. If you get a majority of school kids, then you wont need powerful hardware.

As DarkAngel mentioned, go for a min possible size for monitor as the lower resolution will keep the hardware cost down.

And to add to it, my suggestion would be to go for split config rather than 20 systems all with same config. You can go for 5 high end systems(Full HD monitor and good GFX to go with), 10 mid level systems (Maybe 17" Monitors or so) and 5 average builds that can run games like CS. I feel this will cover a larger range of audience, while keeping your cost within budget.

You can upgrade a few months down the line if the demand for HD gaming picks up and use the current components for building rigs when you start your next outlet :)

And you can also talk to small bakers to open a stall in your centre for food and beverage and that will bring down the running cost a bit for you.

Start slowly, study and analyze the response and then ramp up. Reason being electronics have poor resale value and what you buy for 20K now, will not even sell for half price a month or two later.

Back