CPU/Mobo PC won't boot

Anshul

Disciple
May 30, 2007
I was using my PC yesterday and it shut down all of sudden. Switched it on again and it shutdown a minute after windows was ready. Switched it on again and the LED lights (I've installed to add bling) are flashing. I cant enter the bios now. Using a Gigabyte X58-UD3R and i7 920. Or could it be the power supply (corsair hx620) ? :huh:

Anshul

Disciple
May 30, 2007
^ still won't boot. But while I did it, I heard a ticking noise from the power supply and it's in sync with led's flashing on the motherboard.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

chiragsthakur said:
Which LED lights are you talking about?
Just checked, it's all of them. The led's in the fan, the lights i added like in your display pic and the led's on the motherboard.

chiragsthakur

Skilled
Apr 20, 2011
Mumbai
The clicking would be it arcing somewhere inside. It has a good chance of taking the rest of your hardware with it when it dies.

Check with different psu on the same system...

chiragsthakur

Skilled
Apr 20, 2011
Mumbai
I do have one.. where do you stay in mumbai? Today evening I can be at vikhroli railway station , you may take my spare psu and then check your system

Ameet148

Adept
Apr 23, 2009
For troubleshooting basic case speaker installation is required.Have you installed it?If yes,then list down what kind of(short or long and how many times) beeps you hear.How many fans are there in your case?

uziel

Techie The Grandos
Adept
Jul 21, 2009
Delhi
Strip down the mobo completly, just connect the power cable to mobo n the proc power to mobo, no ram nothing...see of the flea power led lights up...if blinking, either psu is faulty or mobo is goen,,, u will need a post pci card to diagnose. if the led lights up, u will hear 3 beeps, thats fine, shut down, clean ram n slots n insert....boot again...beeps shld not be there..if all fine, connect display n see message. If you have ATX SMPS can be checked by short circuit the green and black wires and power on. I will suggest you very simple way to check whether your SMPS working or not, you can check your SMPS without connecting to motherboard by simply plug the power cord and switch on, but make sure that you need to have the 12 volt supplied to SMPS...if fine, fan shld come up...but if ur not comfortable, dont do this test.

chiragsthakur

Skilled
Apr 20, 2011
Mumbai
You should be very clear in mentioning what all steps you have done bro.. What seems to be working fine?? Your system with new PSU or your old PSU itself?

Anshul

Disciple
May 30, 2007
used a paper clip to short the green wire and black and connected the fans to it. the psu that I thought wasn't working, is working.

chiragsthakur

Skilled
Apr 20, 2011
Mumbai
Anshul said:
used a paper clip to short the green wire and black and connected the fans to it. the psu that I thought wasn't working, is working.
Buddy, there's always a difference between ON LOAD testing and NO LOAD testing

uziel

Techie The Grandos
Adept
Jul 21, 2009
Delhi
well, if mobo is the culprit, much cant be done, just try to reseat proccy if u know how to do it...but a good know swappable psu would have put a seal on the mobo issue ... a definite call for mobo RMA....just can try one more thing...take the mobo out of cabinet to rule out grounding... n dont use cabinet power switch to power on mobo...short pwr+- jumper with a screw driver, the cpu fan should come up...check this.

Anshul

Disciple
May 30, 2007
Got the motherboard back from the service center. Checked the board over there and it booted properly. Came home, switched on the power supply and I heard loud pop (I think a capacitor got blown). And now I'm back to square one. The PC shuts down as soon as I switch it on.

Ameet148

Adept
Apr 23, 2009
^You playing real bad game with your PC.Either get properly educated before handling PC components or leave it to the professionals.Plz don't take it personally.