PC Peripherals PC not stable, 1 long beep and 8 short beeps and eventually no display

Re: Feeling cheated!

Well the card was loose in it's slot .. so changed the screws and voila it started working .. :eek:hyeah: .. thanks guys for helping me out .. :)

Mobo:ASUS M4A785TD V-EVO
Proccy:AMD ATHLON II X4 620
RAM:Corsair 4GB 1333Mhz ddr3
GPU:XFX ATI HD 5850
PSU:Corsair VX550
i'm seriously at loss to find out where the heck the prob is

i have the exact same config(only different ram) i faced no such problem
okay, go to bios next time u boot and siable onboard gpu once..u said the display doesnt come(i noe this is lame, but who knows it might do the trick)

also, did u enable ACC from the bios, as that causes some CPUs to become unstable(heard in techpowerup forums a lot, mine runs ACC however w/o a glitch)

The Sorcerer said:
And then..

Good boy!!! You finally figured it out :).
2 reasons why I say bios flash, although I wish you figured it out as well but :bleh:
#1. The 1st fix mentioned under 0512 :

What's the relevance? The ICs. Corsair rams uses ICs from elpida, Promos, hynix and also- Hello hello! Samsung! Most likely he might have the corsair rams with the same/relabelled samsung ICs.
#2. Self explanatory:

Maybe the service tested the system with another graphic card, most likely anything but ati 5850 and 5870. Could you always do the "Gadha majdoori" and waste 7 business day's time by RMAing the card, possibly functioning from their end and returning with an "ok tested" tag to facepalm yourselves to glory if and when you try the steps I told or try the steps I told which would take barely an hour's time?
Anyone who has the ups and downs with asus boards will know the anguish as far as ram compatibility is concerned. Flash the BIOS, if it doesn't work, reduce the ram frequency till asus releases a better bios.

I hope, you do know that these days you're acting like an A$$ ? :mad:
Just though you should know.

^^So fit the card again & then try. Have you properly fitted the screws of the GPU ?

(OT: I too have somewhat same problem, my RAM keeps on getting loose all the time, so I have to reinsert it atleast once in a month, dont know why)

@OP:

Take out the accelerator. Blow really hard into the PCI.E dock, two three times. And them slot it back in again. Please use screws to install it. Make them super tight. Do not worry, its metal so nothing will snap.

take out the component (car ram etc)

move a pencil erase over the connector contacts (pci-e or the ram connectors for ram)

generally loose contact = room for dust.. more dust pileup = insulation.. thus failure..

the slots maybe too loose to hold the card in place or to keep porper contacts with the connectors...

Since the error beeps indicate a display error can this be concluded that the prob lies somewhere in between the mobo and graphics card?:huh:

hash said:
Yes this might be the case. Now to narrow things down. Check the graphics card in your friend's PC with a capable PSU.

Isn't 550W enough for this config?if not sufficient other problems may have been there like system shutdown,pc freezing etc .. what do ya suggest?

ananyabasu said:
Isn't 550W enough for this config?if not sufficient other problems may have been there like system shutdown,pc freezing etc .. what do ya suggest?

You don't have to worry

VX 550 is enough for ATI 5850

Its the gfx memory that is causing the problem

8 Beeps

Eight beeps means that there has been an error with the display memory. This beep code is usually caused by a faulty video card. Replacing the video card usually clears this up

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/ami-beep-codes.htm

Back