PC for CAD/CAM works

rachan

Disciple
Please answer the following questions for others to help you out better. Delete whatever you feel is not required.

1. Q: What is your budget?
    1. 30 to 40K can extend up to 45k
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model) - None (have a laptop)
  3. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    1. CPU - AMD (heard its better for CAD/CAM work)
    2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    3. GPU - not sure
    4. (please mention the rest in above format)
  4. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 - 12 months
  5. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    1. Bangalore City
  6. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    1. No
  7. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. CAD/CAM work and download rig
  8. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. No
  9. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    1. None
  10. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. NA
  11. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. Not sure what it means
  12. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    1. Windows 7 64 bit
    2. Linux
    3. windows xp

i7 2600-17.5k

Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k

Corsair Xms3 2X4gb-3.5k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X4gb-3.5k

Seagate 500GB HDD-4k OR 1TB-5.5k

Nvidia Gtx550ti-8.5k OR Leadtek Nvidia Quadro 600-9.5k[If op thinks it's better for his soft]

Seasonic S12ii 520W-3.7k

Nzxt Gamma-2.4k

Hope this helps.
happy19.gif

Corsair Xms3 2X2gb-1.5k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X2gb-1.5k

A lot more RAM has to be bought, 8GB minimum is what I recommend, G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 ~3400/-

Leadtek Nvidia Quadro 600-9.5k[For Rendering]

CAD really doesn't rely on Quadro, to save money OP can get the nVidia GTX 550Ti and the performance will be at par.

Seasonic S12ii 520W-3.7k OR Corsair VX550W-4.4k
No service centre for Seasonic SMPS's in Bangalore, Coller Master Real Power Pro ~3700/- OR Corsair CX V2 430W ~2400/- will be a better bet.

Nzxt Gamma-2.4k

Bangalore dealers over-price the NZXT Gamma by a wide margin, OP will have to go for a Cooler Master eLite 311 ~2200/- OR Cooler Master eLite 430 ~2700/-

My take on what OP should get. Cheers!!

Couldn't really find the cad benches so i'd suggested the quadro,if there's not much use then 550ti is the other option.Didn't know bangalore had service trouble for seasonic.Done the corrections.

#

ALPHA17

Dude who told you there is no seasonic centre in bangalore?? got my s12ii 620 replaced in 4 hours flat.. tirupathi on double road dude is their dealer and service centre...

#

ALPHA17

Dude who told you there is no seasonic centre in bangalore?? got my s12ii 620 replaced in 4 hours flat.. tirupathi on double road dude is their dealer and service centre...

Then where is it in the South-Deccan region that there is no Seasonic service centre, was it Hyderabad kya?

Got mixed up there apologies #[member='Jakob'].

Thanks a lot for your help guys!.I will be enquiring about this rig shortly and also I need to fit in a good monitor in my budget of 45k.Can anyone help me with a revised configuration with the monitor fitting in my budget?

i5 2400-10.5k OR i5 2500-11.5k[You'd have to sacrifice the i7 for the monitor]

Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k

Nvidia Gtx550ti-8.5k

Seasonic S12ii 520W-3.7k

Dell ST2220L-8.5k

Nzxt Gamma-2.4k

Go for this.

My Q is on related topic, hence posting it here instead of opening another thread. Hence excuse me.

Is there much difference between a Workstation/Professional Graphics card vs Commercial/Regular ones.

I want to buy one for 3D and Rendering. Saw the prices of Firepro and Quadro ones, they are very costly more than Rs 9.5k-10k.

Also was comparing the specs between Firepro 4800 vs AMD/ATI Radeon 6850/6790 and didn't find much difference between the specs (especially Stream Processors, Shader Model version 5.0. Memory Bandwidth etc.)

Hence the Q? What is that makes these Quadro's/Firepro's more likeable for 3D/Rendering ?

I can do some 3D rendering on my old ATI 4770 also, though it is slow, but I am not in a hurry even if it takes 3 days to render some scene/object.

What is difference between CUDA and Stream Processors? Is it one and the same thing?

i5 2400-10.5k OR i5 2500-11.5k[You'd have to sacrifice the i7 for the monitor]

Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k

Nvidia Gtx550ti-8.5k

Seasonic S12ii 520W-3.7k

Dell ST2220L-8.5k

Nzxt Gamma-2.4k

Go for this.

1) Is there much difference between a Workstation/Professional Graphics card vs Commercial/Regular ones? I want to buy one for 3D and Rendering. Saw the prices of Firepro and Quadro ones, they are very costly more than Rs 9.5k-10k.

2) Also was comparing the specs between Firepro 4800 vs AMD/ATI Radeon 6850/6790 and didn't find much difference between the specs (especially Stream Processors, Shader Model version 5.0. Memory Bandwidth etc.)

3) What is difference between CUDA and Stream Processors? Is it one and the same thing?

Answers according to serial numbers I have provided --

1) Yes there is a considerable difference, and these links will make you understand them better --
2) Please refer to earlier links for clarification, rendering / workstation cards are more compute oriented [complex calculations and light passes] whilst the gaming cards are more performance oriented in terms of higher frames per second.

3) The difference between CUDA and Stream processors are --
As you are primarily into CAD I would suggest that you look at nVidia Quadro FX-600 OR GTX 550Ti in favour of AMD cards, prime advantages will be --
  • Better compute [GPGPU] performance.
  • Time and electricity saved due to faster rendering.
  • Overall the results will be better than that of an AMD gaming grade graphics cards.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Sir first of all do not hijack the threads like this but as for now you'd get Nvidia quadro 600-9.5k if you want it for totally rendering and if you want to game also then Gtx 550ti-8.5k or Gtx560[Non-ti]-10.5k and all the questions have been answered by alpha.
My Q is on related topic, hence posting it here instead of opening another thread. Hence excuse me.

Is there much difference between a Workstation/Professional Graphics card vs Commercial/Regular ones.

I want to buy one for 3D and Rendering. Saw the prices of Firepro and Quadro ones, they are very costly more than Rs 9.5k-10k.

Also was comparing the specs between Firepro 4800 vs AMD/ATI Radeon 6850/6790 and didn't find much difference between the specs (especially Stream Processors, Shader Model version 5.0. Memory Bandwidth etc.)

Hence the Q? What is that makes these Quadro's/Firepro's more likeable for 3D/Rendering ?

I can do some 3D rendering on my old ATI 4770 also, though it is slow, but I am not in a hurry even if it takes 3 days to render some scene/object.

What is difference between CUDA and Stream Processors? Is it one and the same thing?

Guys I am more inclined towards AMD phenom II six core.is it better than i5? and more importantly will it fit in my budget?.I am heading to SP road tomorrow to get quotes on the above mentioned configuration.any amount of Info regarding this will help.

Thanks

It'd be better if you create a new thread so that we can guide you in detailed way and intel i5 series is way beter than Amd Phenom X6.
Guys I am more inclined towards AMD phenom II six core.is it better than i5? and more importantly will it fit in my budget?.I am heading to SP road tomorrow to get quotes on the above mentioned configuration.any amount of Info regarding this will help.

Thanks

Thanks

Look here is a comparison between the Phenom IIx6 1100T vis-a-vis Intel Core i5 2500 --> http://www.anandtech...duct/203?vs=288.

The inference of the above data --
  • Intel Core i5 2500 [-k and non-k both] are balanced performance vs. the Phenom IIx6 which is highly dependent on all its cores to be fully Q-ed with threads to become a better performer.
  • In high intensity, low threaded applications [like gaming and day-to-day tasks] the Intel architecture pulls ahead of the Phenom hex-core which is starved of work.
  • Intel's CPU throttling and power efficiency is better than AMD.
  • The Phenom II product line-up is now EoL, whilst the Intel CPU can be put in a H77 / Z77 chipset and later on down the line you can put in a Ivy-Bridge processor to continue using this set-up.

Answering your question of whether the AMD chip fits your budget --
  1. Yes it fits your budget and it might be a little cheaper overall than Intel's setup, but the performance lost is not something to be scoffed at.
  2. Next the over-clocking embargo that Intel has placed on its processors, is not the case with AMD processors. Most if not all chips can be over-clocked with varying success on any compatible chipset [preferable 880G or above].

Also if you are going to S.P. Road, do check the following shops for the best product range, pricing --
  1. Aashirwaad Computers
  2. Jainex Computers
  3. Golccha IT Trade.

Here's the pricing at Ankit Infotech guys,

Intel i5 2500 - 11200/-

DH67CL - 5650/-

RAM - corsair (4x2) - 2300/-

Gskill ripjaws (4x2) - 3250/-

500 gb SATA III (7200rpm) - 4050/-

coolermaster elite 430 - 2850/-

smps - corsair (600w) - 3650/-

Antec (550w) - 3650/-

Nvidia GTX 550ti (1gb ddr5)- 7200/-

Please let me know your thoughts on it , fair pricing or not? and in case of choices above which one should i go for.

Thanks

1. 1) DH67CL - 5650/-
  2. 2) RAM - corsair (4x2) - 2300/- OR Gskill ripjaws (4x2) - 3250/-
  3. 3) 500 gb SATA III (7200rpm) - 4050/-
  4. 5) smps - corsair (600w) - 3650/- OR Antec (550w) - 3650/-

1) Instead of the Intel DH67-CL, go for the Intel DH67-BL ~5400/- [this motherboard is a m-ATX vis-a-vis full ATX design for the former and should be fine for your usage]

2) Go for the G.Skill RIPJAWS over the Corsair ValueRAM, due to these reasons --> http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3 / http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3_8.html

Extra performance is attributed thanks to the added bandwidth of 1600MHz kits, but after that frequency there is not a sharp rise in performance with faster RAM kits.

3) Instead of a 500GB @4050/-, try to see if the Seagate 1TB is within ~5500/-, if yes then go for the 1TB disk. If he tries to sell a Western Digital 1TB Green Edition drive, turn down the offer.

4) Over here I think he must be pushing the Corsair GS 600, please go for the Antec 550W SMPS [if I am not wrong it has semi-modular wiring construct right OR wrong]. Can you be more specific which Antec model he is trying to sell, Antec EarthWatts, Antec TrueGamer?

Before buying, try to check prices at --
  1. Aashirwaad Computers
  2. Jainex Computers [it is on the first floor of Ankit Infotech's building]

Seasonic S12ii 520W OR Corsair VX550W would be better than antec or GS600.
1) Instead of the Intel DH67-CL, go for the Intel DH67-BL ~5400/- [this motherboard is a m-ATX vis-a-vis full ATX design for the former and should be fine for your usage]

2) Go for the G.Skill RIPJAWS over the Corsair ValueRAM, due to these reasons --> http://www.anandtech...g-the-best-ddr3 / http://www.xbitlabs....dge-ddr3_8.html

Extra performance is attributed thanks to the added bandwidth of 1600MHz kits, but after that frequency there is not a sharp rise in performance with faster RAM kits.

3) Instead of a 500GB @4050/-, try to see if the Seagate 1TB is within ~5500/-, if yes then go for the 1TB disk. If he tries to sell a Western Digital 1TB Green Edition drive, turn down the offer.

4) Over here I think he must be pushing the Corsair GS 600, please go for the Antec 550W SMPS [if I am not wrong it has semi-modular wiring construct right OR wrong]. Can you be more specific which Antec model he is trying to sell, Antec EarthWatts, Antec TrueGamer?

Before buying, try to check prices at --
  1. Aashirwaad Computers
  2. Jainex Computers [it is on the first floor of Ankit Infotech's building]

Seasonic S12ii 520W OR Corsair VX550W would be better than antec or GS600.

Naah, the Antec Earthwatts is a reliable SMPS it has 80+ Bronze certification.

The AntecTrue Gamer on the other hand comes with a 80+ Bronze certification and hybrid-modular set-up which makes it really useful for placing in small cabinets like the Cooler Master eLite 430 [better cable management too].

The problem is not the psu it's the availability that's what i was saying,the others are mostly available,if he gets antec 80+ then it's ok.
Naah, the Antec Earthwatts is a reliable SMPS it has 80+ Bronze certification.

The AntecTrue Gamer on the other hand comes with a 80+ Bronze certification and hybrid-modular set-up which makes it really useful for placing in small cabinets like the Cooler Master eLite 430 [better cable management too].

Back