Password Managers kindly comment in order of rating 1 (best) to 10(least).

Which password manager?

• 1Password

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Bitwarden

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • RoboForm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lastpass

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • KeePass

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Inbuilt browser password manager

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Others

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Futureized

Skilled
My preference goes here (only adding this 4 as not tried anything else)1

1. LastPass (using since decade but recent security breach makes me shift to other alternative)
2. 1Password (sites which we register using fb/gmail etc. are stored in vault as well)
3. Bitwarden (due to user opinions, tried once)
4. Roboform (tried with Robo Forms longtime back.

Bitwarden by far, literally the most highly rated Open source password manager with monthly security audits, nothing can be safer

I used LastPass until they pulled that ridiculous device limitation stunt. Now I'm using Bitwarden, and it's great. I don't miss LastPass at all, not even a little bit.

I self-host a Vaultwarden instance. It's free and open to the public. Let me know if anyone needs it. Alternatively, consider paying 10$ to official BItwarden folks per year, they make a great product and are completely worth it.

A lot of my friends use my vaultwarden instance while i have shifted to a KeepassXC (on desktop) + KeepassDX (on android) setup since it has AutoType + Multiple databases (logins, totp, recoveries).

For the sake of us, uninitiated folks, how is storing passwords through Google account password manager differ from using these password managers?
Just google knows our passwords or are there any better reasons?

For the sake of us, uninitiated folks, how is storing passwords through Google account password manager differ from using these password managers?
Just google knows our passwords or are there any better reasons?
Just a quick look at it suggests that it locks you into using Chrome and Android to use Google Password Manager while KeepassXC is completely offline and the product is free and open source. With bitwarden, you can choose to self-host (run your own server) or just use the official instance (bitwarden.com). In all these cases, of course, passwords (and all secrets) are client-side encrypted (meaning they are encrypted on device before being sent to the servers). Just that using Google Password manager will lock you into... Google products while other products run basically everywhere (and likely have more features).

Google password manager for me, works everywhere on PC, android, apple iOS-safari. It also notifies you if any of your password is found on the latest password dump leaks.

On apple devices you can select your password manager, you don't really have to use the apple one. They allow other password managers auto fill integration into all apps/websites.

I use Bitwarden for general password storage and Keepass for some specific usecases and as a backup.

You want your passwords to always be encrypted. Since your browser's password manager does not have a separate password/key to unlock, your passwords are not encrypted while your browser is running.

On dedicated password managers, you can set them to time out/lock your vault after a certain amount of time.

You also cannot transfer out of Chrome if you wanted to use Firefox some day. Google, of course, likes this as it locks you down to their products.
It also notifies you if any of your password is found on the latest password dump leaks.
While this might seem like a nice feature, this of itself tells you that the password management is not zero knowledge. Bitwarden doesn't know your passwords. All encryption happens client-side and there is no way for someone to read your passwords off the BW server. Google, of course, can read your passwords, which means there's an entry way for a malicious actor to do the same.

Zero knowledge is the only password storage technique I can fully trust. The only downside of this is that you lose your account if you forget your password.

I use Bitwarden for general password storage and Keepass for some specific usecases and as a backup.
Whoever thought naming a password manager as keep ass lol...

You want your passwords to always be encrypted. Since your browser's password manager does not have a separate password/key to unlock, your passwords are not encrypted while your browser is running.

On dedicated password managers, you can set them to time out/lock your vault after a certain amount of time.
So, the issue here is if browser is compromised, only then passwords are compromised?

You also cannot transfer out of Chrome if you wanted to use Firefox some day. Google, of course, likes this as it locks you down to their products.
Android exists, so does youtube. I don't know if we can ever get out from Google.

While this might seem like a nice feature, this of itself tells you that the password management is not zero knowledge. Bitwarden doesn't know your passwords. All encryption happens client-side and there is no way for someone to read your passwords off the BW server. Google, of course, can read your passwords, which means there's an entry way for a malicious actor to do the same.

Zero knowledge is the only password storage technique I can fully trust. The only downside of this is that you lose your account if you forget your password.
Something like that happened when I was using Lastpass and some of those passwords are gone. This was few years ago, after this happened I only used google password managers.

Is there an OFFLINE software which keeps a simple record of your password for each website? Doesn't have to sync it to any account, just purely offline password record keeper of sorts.

Still needs Chrome installed and is Chrome dependent.
Agree. Sometimes even if chrome is there, password won't fetch from chrome to safari and I have to manually do this. Probably some bug or whatever.
---

Started using bitwarden, seems it will take some time to get used to it and save passwords here instead.

Agree. Sometimes even if chrome is there, password won't fetch from chrome to safari and I have to manually do this. Probably some bug or whatever.
---

Started using bitwarden, seems it will take some time to get used to it and save passwords here instead.
There should be a way to export and import passwords. And when you use the bitwarden browser extension, it can autosave and autofill passwords for you.

Back