Camera Panasonic G1 a good buy?

sydras

Skilled
Folks, the Panasonic G1 (and the Olympus PEN EP1) is available at jjmehta .com , Digital Camera , Digital SLR , Video Camera , Apple iPod , Sandisk Pendrive available all over India for around 22K.

Given that its a micro 4/3 sensor based camera, Im guessing that its picture quality is way better that your average point and shoot due to the much larger sensor size.

Also, since it's m4/3, it should be smaller and possibly pants pocketable as compared to the average DSLR due to the electronic viewfinder (v/s an optical one in DSLRs) and smaller housing.

The only thing I noted when I quickly checked online reviews is that the G1 does not have a video mode.

I do not have time to more research so I thought I'd get some opinions from folks at TE. What do you guys think? Would you go for it or are there better options available for an amateur photographer who will probably use the G1 with the stock lens and never bother purchasing another lens?

^^ Yes, agree with you. If you are fine with old manual focus lenses then the Olympus EPL1 is a nice camera but otherwise lens availability is non-existent in India.

adder said:
G2 is not pocketable,only the EPL-1 is.Lens availabilty in india is again a issue and so are the prices.

Yes, I saw some comparisons on the net that seem to indicate that the G1 with lens is not pocketable. Maybe the GF1 is what I'm looking for.
BF1983 said:
^^ Yes, agree with you. If you are fine with old manual focus lenses then the Olympus EPL1 is a nice camera but otherwise lens availability is non-existent in India.

Agree but what is your opinion of going for such a camera instead of an expensive compact? The EP1 for example would surely give better pictures with the stock lens as compared to a pricey Canon S95 or G11 don't you think?

^^ Yes, IQ with the kit lens will be pretty good. But IMO the main advantages are not sharpness but DOF control which is difficult to do with a slow kit lens. You need a fast prime for that which the Oly lacks.

Back