Graphic Cards Palit GTX 570 Sonic Platinum OR HD 6970?

DirtDiver

Disciple
I intially has my eyes on GTX 580. But it turned out to be too expensive so it out of the race. I have 2 options now:

-->GTX 570 with custom cooler + nice factory OC
-->HD 6970 with custom cooler + factory OC

As far as a GTX 570 with custom cooler + best factory OC is concerned i think Palit GTX 570 Sonic platinum beats all including the MSI twin forzer model both in temp and OC. The Asus Direct CU II is not available in the local market in Hyderabad.

As for HD 6970, as suggested by user 'Lord Nemesis', MSI R6970 Lightening is having nice reviews too..

So basically..

Does anyone own a Palit GTX 570 Sonic paltinum here? If yes then how much did u get it for and when/where?

Even if u own a any other GTX 570 what ate your temps like?( I know about the temps quoted in reviews, its just that the ambient temps in India are 20' higher than west)

Also when and for how much did u get your GTX 570/HD6970?

But i would like to go with the Nvidia as my first choice. No particular reason. I just have always stayed with Nvidia.

Other info:

--> My system will be i5-2500k based and the purchase for the entire system will be made in less than 10 days from now.

--> Ill be gaming at 1920×1080 resolution.

--> Max budget for gfx card is 22k.
Thanks for helping out.:)

IMO 6970 lightening would be my choice i guess, but i haven't especially checked this particular model of 570's sonic benchies this time

rite said:
IMO 6970 lightening would be my choice i guess, but i haven't especially checked this particular model of 570's sonic benchies this time

Im after this particular Palit GTX 570 model because of the reviews i read. I was under the impression that Palit in a tiny company(infact they dont even have a page on wikipedia) compared to big names such as Asus, MSI etc..

But its supposed to be one of the fastest clocked GTX570 out there.

Here are some reviews for Palit GTX 570 Sonic Platinum:

Palit GeForce GTX 570 Sonic Platinum Review - Page 1/32 | techPowerUp

Palit GeForce GTX 570 Sonic Platinum review

Maximum PC | Palit GTX 570 Sonic Platinum Review

Palit GTX 570 Sonic Platinum Review - Overclockers Club

Infact I found this indepth review done by a member of this fourm!

http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/palit-gtx-570-sonic-platinum-edition-185064.html

DirtDiver said:
Its selling @22k at itdepot.com not itwares(small correction). But i think its overpriced as i know for a fact that reference design based 570's are available @19k in Hyderabad.

TheITWares were the first people to have it on sale. We have a sale thread in our Dealer section itself. It was available with them for quite a while now. TheITDepot listed the card just recently (roughly 3 weeks back).

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

DirtDiver said:
i think Palit GTX 570 Sonic platinum beats all including the MSI twin forzer model both in temp and OC.
I don't agree. The Twin Forzr II is a very good custom cooling solution and proven in the market for its performance. While making your comparison, you are only comparing the performance of the card out of the box. You are not taking into account what speeds the Sonic Platinum fans are running at. From what I have seen, OC the card a bit and the cooler would soon hit 100% fan speed to keep the card cool. With high RPM fans like these, anything over 80% speed and the fans wouldn't last long.

The TwinFrozr II cooler (at least in my case of my overclocked 6950's) runs at 50~55% fan speed on load in Indian conditions. Even with a 100MHz overclock, the diff in load temps was barely 3 deg and without any change in fan speeds. So Even in Multi-GPU mode (where cards load temp can run up to 10~15 deg over that of the same cards in single GPU mode), These coolers are keeping 100MHz over clocked GPU's under 68 deg load temp running at just 55% fan speed. You would run out of OC potential of your GPU before you run out of cooling potential of this custom cooler design from MSI. Also point to note is that I am talking about the Twin Frozr II so far, the 6970 Lightening and GTX580 Lightening cards have the updated TwinForzr III design.

I would strongly suggest that you read up on reviews of various Twin Frozr II based cards and see for yourself what the cooler is capable of. Even if the Sonic Platinum at 100% fan speed achieves 2 degs better temps than a Twin Frozr II at 50% fan speeds, I would hardly call that better cooling performance.

Lord Nemesis said:
TheITWares were the first people to have it on sale. We have a sale thread in our Dealer section itself. It was available with them for quite a while now. TheITDepot listed the card just recently (roughly 3 weeks back).

I don't agree. The Twin Forzr II is a very good custom cooling solution and proven in the market for its performance. While making your comparison, you are only comparing the performance of the card out of the box. You are not taking into account what speeds the Sonic Platinum fans are running at. From what I have seen, OC the card a bit and the cooler would soon hit 100% fan speed to keep the card cool. With high RPM fans like these, anything over 80% speed and the fans wouldn't last long.

The TwinFrozr II cooler (at least in my case of my overclocked 6950's) runs at 50~55% fan speed on load in Indian conditions. Even with a 100MHz overclock, the diff in load temps was barely 3 deg and without any change in fan speeds. So Even in Multi-GPU mode (where cards load temp can run up to 10~15 deg over that of the same cards in single GPU mode), These coolers are keeping 100MHz over clocked GPU's under 68 deg load temp running at just 55% fan speed. You would run out of OC potential of your GPU before you run out of cooling potential of this custom cooler design from MSI. Also point to note is that I am talking about the Twin Frozr II so far, the 6970 Lightening and GTX580 Lightening cards have the updated TwinForzr III design.

I would strongly suggest that you read up on reviews of various Twin Frozr II based cards and see for yourself what the cooler is capable of. Even if the Sonic Platinum at 100% fan speed achieves 2 degs better temps than a Twin Frozr II at 50% fan speeds, I would hardly call that better cooling performance.
iam using palit sonic 570 gtx platinum edition,its comes with solid cooler and already factory overclocked much faster then twin frazor ii. plus i have gone upto 875-900 mhz fan never went above 75-80 percent speed(stress test).max when i checked while playing crysis 2 was 68 c on auto fan speed.without overclocking it was already giving me 60+plus fps

if u want to overclock i would recommend sonic platinum over twin frazor II.

reason is lot of 570 gtx are blown up,check overclock.net there is dedicated thread for this issue.they recommend sonic platinum/Asus direct cu ii version and another model can't remember

this models comes up with 8+6 pin instead of two 6pin,which helps to give extra power to vram.

having said that i would recommend 6970 lighting for the same price.

if ur nvidia fanboy want physics x and cuda palit 570 gtx sonic platinum is way to go.don't get the twin frazor ii you can end up blowing the card

^^ It seems the reason GTX570 Twin Frozr II is not recommend is because it is using the nVidia reference PCB design, Not because of the cooler itself. Twin Frozr II cooler is any day better than the Sonic Platinum one, but for people who want to OC insanely, the Reference PCB design and components don't seem to keep up. So I guess you either have to get the GTX570 Twin Frozr III which uses a non reference PCB or you are stuck with the Sonic Platinum.

@OP: very slim chance of you getting these cards in Hyderabad. In any case, I have been to CTC a couple of times and I didn't like the way most of the so called popular shops over there operated. This was exactly why I chose to order the components online from SMC or Prime than get them locally.

Lord Nemesis said:
@OP: very slim chance of you getting these cards in Hyderabad. In any case, I have been to CTC a couple of times and I didn't like the way most of the so called popular shops over there operated. This was exactly why I chose to order the components online from SMC or Prime than get them locally.

^^Pls elaborate on this. I went to ctc last week for reconnaissance and they told me that the Palit 570 sonic platinum as well as twin forzr II is available. Now im not sure if they were just 'saying it' cos a potential customer was in front or there 2 were actually available. Also i dont want to order online as the price quotes i got from ctc are significantly lower. About 1000-1500 Rs diffrence on the entire build. Although i ordered my PSU online last week as it was not available in ctc. I ordered Corsair 650 TX @ Rs 5700 from primeabgb.com

joel.monty said:
The lighting HD 6970 would give a good oc with vold mods,and more performance than a 570.
Ya but i am one of those people who dont do any extreme OC on own but rather prefer factory OCed cards. Plus in western countries even if u blow up ur card, u have an excellent RMA system. In India we have horrible after sales services. So thats why stay away from anything that is above mild OC.

Thus for ppl like me its best to get highest factory OCed card which has good reviews + good cooling.

Lord Nemesis said:
^^ It seems the reason GTX570 Twin Frozr II is not recommend is because it is using the nVidia reference PCB design, Not because of the cooler itself. Twin Frozr II cooler is any day better than the Sonic Platinum one, but for people who want to OC insanely, the Reference PCB design and components don't seem to keep up. So I guess you either have to get the GTX570 Twin Frozr III which uses a non reference PCB or you are stuck with the Sonic Platinum.

thats what i told,for overclocking palit sonic is way to go.plus sonic platinum is not bad cooler by any means its right up there with twin frazor II,i don't think there is twin frazr III/lighting edition for 570 gtx,atleast in india

samurai ranger said:
Sorry for off topic but I am also looking for GTX 570 twin frozr III in INDIA.
I dont think GTX 570 twin frozr III is easily available in India. I have been reading about different brand offerings of GTX 570 from almost a month now. Ill be buying mine in a week. Palit GTX 570 sonic platinum turns out to have great reviews.(Google it) Also it has highest factory OC and great temps(comparable to GTX 570 twin frozr III).

In case u dont want to go with Palit, you could read about Asus GTX 570 Direct Cu II as an alternative to GTX 570 twin frozr III. The asus card too uses a custom PCB and has great temps and is very quiet.

But both MSI and Asus cards have a very mild factory OC.

then the 6970 would give good stock performance,but i would stay away from 570's since they aren't even close to as efficient in power consumption with 6970,they use as much as a 580 ,consider this especially if your gonna do a multiple gpu setup.

Back