Organic Farming

SL tried to opt for organic farming to save foreign currency. By that time, their govt. already knew shit was about to hit the fan and was trying to weasel out of the quagmire of their own making.

BTW, Hambantota port became a showcase of SL govt.'s mismanagement, after port was inaugurated earlier to match President's elections or whatever, they found huge bedrock formation on sea bed is blocking mother-ship access to the port. So, they took a loan of $40mn in around 2010-2011 just to blast of this rock formation !
Even after the rock formation was removed, traffic to the port was very low.

To top this, Sri Lanka with China's assistance was building an artificial island worth $15bn, which could rival Dubai or Monaco. But it was supposedly ready to make or break Sri Lanka.

Meanwhile Mattala Rajapaksa International - now dubbed the world’s emptiest airport - was also funded by a Chinese loan that ran into hundreds of millions of US dollars. Sri Lanka's then President apparently got inspired by Kochi International Airport in Kerala and Indian govt. officers gave advisory, but airport was then built by Chinese assistance it seems. Made huge loses due to political rivalry, etc. Wild elephants, birds and other animals roamed around, since airport it is near wilderness !

Last edited:
To whom? You?
I have read many studies. Not found a reputed peer reviewed study showing any large scale benefits. It is also significantly harmful for the environment due to lower yield and toxicity of many ''natural'' pesticides they claim to use. End of the day even a banana is made of so many chemicals. I personally find Organic farming nothing more than a gimmick.

I have read many studies. Not found a reputed peer reviewed study showing any large scale benefits. It is also significantly harmful for the environment due to lower yield and toxicity of many ''natural'' pesticides they claim to use. End of the day even a banana is made of so many chemicals. I personally find Organic farming nothing more than a gimmick.

1) organic farming that is against the pesticides ( and not easy to control pests without them) vs 2 ) organic farming with natural fertilizer khad

1) has benefits but cannot be verified easily

2) is horseshit, plant gonna take its nutrients, even from water with npk solvent without earth and grow to its fullest capacity.

1) organic farming that is against the pesticides ( and not easy to control pests without them) vs 2 ) organic farming with natural fertilizer khad

1) has benefits but cannot be verified easily

2) is horseshit, plant gonna take its nutrients, even from water with npk solvent without earth and grow to its fullest capacity.
I would participate more in this discussion if we take it into a thread of its own instead of derailing the OT.

I would participate more in this discussion if we take it into a thread of its own instead of derailing the OT.
Even I wanted to get answers on the misconceptions and obtain more information.
@puns can you please help move the Organic Farming related posts to a separate thread. Thanks !

Since the organic farming thread has not been created yet: what were we doing before the advent of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides? What was the population of human beings and their consumption? What was the farm productivity at that time - and did it improve/remain stagnant? Why?

Since the organic farming thread has not been created yet: what were we doing before the advent of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides? What was the population of human beings and their consumption? What was the farm productivity at that time - and did it improve/remain stagnant? Why?
I am sure Puns has a day job to do. Give him some time to fork this into a standalone thread. Let us put all concerns of organic farming such as would it support that population of 2050 etc as bullet points and discuss objectively.

You should think about your health and health of soil as well due to usage of chemicals. I believe sikkim is also a organic state and it helps everyone's health.

The answer to the following questions is important to get some facts in hand before we start airing our opinions and propagandas.

What were we doing before the advent of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides?
What was the population of human beings and their consumption?
What was the farm productivity at that time - and did it improve/remain stagnant? Why?

Having experienced and tasted organic farm produce during our travels, I understand the benefits but I also know there are questions about yield. The problem I have is that I am somehow skeptical of the "organic" farm produce available through the regular channels like Big Basket, malls, etc. They even claim to be certified organic. Are they, really ? I mean, who certifies that ?

I have personally encountered the organic produce decays much faster than the non organic produce, true for fruits, vegetables and pulses ordered from big basket.

I have personally encountered the organic produce decays much faster than the non organic produce, true for fruits, vegetables and pulses ordered from big basket.
How fast produce spoils depends a lot on how it is stored (temperature & humidity) than whether its organic or not.

When you say faster can you give some examples of time between the two ?
Having experienced and tasted organic farm produce during our travels, I understand the benefits but I also know there are questions about yield. The problem I have is that I am somehow skeptical of the "organic" farm produce available through the regular channels like Big Basket, malls, etc. They even claim to be certified organic. Are they, really ? I mean, who certifies that ?
There seems to be not much price difference either. Why not email BB and ask ?

I usually go with organic produce when juicing more for taste reasons than anything else.

Off-topic, there is no benefit of organic farming.
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read online. Even if you don't believe in organic farming you can just create your own farm without using any "-'sides" and that'd be organic! So I honestly don't know if you are just ignorant or misinformed.

But this
many ''natural'' pesticides they claim to use.
and
Since the organic farming thread has not been created yet: what were we doing before the advent of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides?
this are good concerns. I myself cannot 100% trust the claims of this "organic" -sides being sold and used so I've never bought it or used it personally. I'm speaking of the ones being sold in online/in the market. I just make my own using whatever crap (literally!) I can find or use. We've grown mustard, tomatoes and other veggies and they are good. So I would definitely love to read more into this subject, reliable and credible ones that is. And while I'm at it I want to add that I also have a small poultry farm for personal consumption and hobby and I don't use the manufactured feeds found in the market. I use the raw materials such as corns, beans, cabbages etc which I get from the local sources and local sources only (I often go to the hilly sides so its not difficult for me to procure them). This is possible only because mine is small and few. If this doesn't make them organic then I don't know what will. The local suppliers supply the raw materials to the distributors who manufacture their own branded feeds.

Certification of organic food is akin to scam, increases cost to impractical level.
This is true to some level. Organic certification costs time and money. I should know because I've met some officials in the govt agri department here and I specifically asked this question. From my understanding it takes at least 3 years to get a farm certified "organic." How you achieve this is another question and that's the problem. Its India you can pull any bs if you have people in high positions. I also did a small research in this myself.
I said some level because some local produce are definitely organic and I can vouch for what I know. If you want fresh and good produce then stick to local. Don't go to commercial malls or market. This is also true for those "100% pure honey" crap being sold in departmental stores. We know they are not.
So from my experience I believe that it will be difficult if not impossible to get organic food in the cities.

Last edited:
Back