OC & Modding Opteron 165 OC help...

im running a Opteron 165 on a A8N-E board...
2 gig transcend ram (512x4)
zeb. platinum smps. 400w
7900 gs. 256mb.

i want some recommendations on o.c parameters.

im currently running at 1.98~ ghz. from 1.8ghz
245mhz x 8 and a fsb of 980

can someone tell me some settings that i can use to get some better performance out of the system...

thanx...

first of all change the multiplier to 9 and if its not stable bump the CPU voltage little bit ...... u can go upto 1.5v safely but load temp should not go beyong 50-52*c to be in safer side ......

which chips are there on ur ram ?? at wat timings u are running them ...... and with 4 rams u must be running ram @ 2T ...... a CPU-Z screenshot will help :)

k i set the multilier to 9 and im up to 2205mhz. it seems stable.. and the idle temp is 46/47 deg. im runninig on stock cooling.

k me got cpuz ... whic page of cpu z do u want? memory or main page...

here is the cpuz screenshot.. hope this is enough...

and i did up the cpu voltage just now i upped it from 1.35 to 1.40v

Attachments

• cpuz.JPG
    cpuz.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 80
Reduce the vcore to 1.35 and chk for stability ....... if u want to OC more change the ram timings to 2.5-4-4-10 and increase the FSB ...... i think u can reach 280-290 easily but temp might be a problem with stock cooler :)

core voltage is 1.35 and system seems stable now...

i changed the ram timings to 2.5-4-4-10
and i tried 260-270 fsb the system didnt pass the POST screen...
then i went back to 245 and now im at 250 it seems ok for now..

me temps arent too much different... from 46 the idle temp is now around 47-48.. thats it..

Brand name rarely matters, what is more important is the IC's used on those RAM sticks. Transcend keep using different IC's for their RAM sticks.. so depending on the IC's on those sticks, you can accordingly guess what kind of an overclock you can expect.

You can either find out the IC's by looking for some identification marks/model numbers, or just post a closeup of a single IC and we'll see if we can figure it out.

In the meantime take it step by step. Couple of things you can try:

1. Drop the memory speed, i.e. set the memory divider to force your RAM to run at DDR333 speeds (gives your memory some breathing room)

2. Ensure you are dropping the HTT multiplier as you increase the HTT speeds (by default its at 5x ; 200Mhz x 5 = 1000Mhz ). Your objective is to keep the HTT lower or equal to 1000Mhz, but never higher. EDIT: I just saw your CPU-Z screenie, and it seems you're already doing that.

3. You can also try dropping the CPU multiplier , just to see how high you can take up the FSB/HTT .. this is just to identify whether its the CPU or any other aspect limiting your overclock.

^ LOL! Like i said earlier, brand name hardly matters - its the IC's on those sticks that's important. There are Corsair Value RAM sticks which are absolute duds. I have even come across high end Corsair performance RAM that just wouldnt go beyond its factory rated 250Mhz speed :)

Good RAM helps you maintain 1:1 speeds.. but if your motherboard isnt too fussy about it, there's no shame in using memory dividers!

Back