PC Peripherals Oh no---not another ugrade !!!

superczar

Skilled
Damned be the day I decided to join TE :S

I was a happy and content man ...I used to use a PIII 550 machine, loved watching my movies and munching my popcorn over a 14" Samtron

And then came TE and thus began my woes....

Anyway, to cut a long story short, several upgrade (steps, not cycles later), I realized that my Thorughbred 2400 on a Gigabyte 7VM-333RZ mobo (Via KM266/33 chipset) is proving to be serious bottleneck for my AGP 6800nu and the new Sony HS95 deserved a better rig....

What set the next chain of events rolling was the realization that getting a good AGP mobos is fast becoming as rare as finding a bottle of Chardonnay in a Chennai TASMAC shop (for the unitiated, a chennai govt. booze shop)

:ashamed:

The ever helpful :^ Sunny :bleh: promptly directed me to Switch's combo deal for a Asus A8V dlx wireless mobo and Winchester 3200+ combo sale which I promptly closed with him....

:mad:

Oh, I just wish that was where the story ended.....

:(

But no, the ugly head of the upgraditis devil rears itself again to tell me what I always suspected.... :mad:

"Your PSU ain't gonna cut it"

"Your Memory (not the biological one of course) ain't gonna cut in no more"

Your PATA Barracudas ain't gonna hold out any longer"

Aaaarggghhhyyyy

So I half unwillingly succumb to temptation again :mad2:

1) Current PSU--> Generic 350 (??) W PSU (Planning to keep the Winnie chuggin at a (hopefully) stable 2.25 Ghz 24X7) ---> what next?

2) Current memory --> Hynix (3-3-2-7) 512X2 333mhz --> what next?

3) Current HDD --> 2X 7200.7 segate 80GB barracudas --> What next

what makes the story all the more worse is all this expense is in the anticipation (and not after receiving) the annual Bonus in Jan :(

PSU --- Zebby 540 Watts(not the Indian made one but the SKyhawk one rebadged as Zebronics) or Vantec Ion. Apart from this, there is alwasy the outrageusly expensive Antec TP 2 550 :p

Memory --- See if you can oc your memory to run at 3-3-3-8 at 200Mhz(DDR 400). If so, then no need of upgrading it. Keep upgrading your memory as a last option. But for upgrading, go for Twinmos 2 x 1 GB. They sometimes come with UCCC chips which are quite decent oc'ers.

HDD --- Keep the 2 HDDs and buy another 250 GB Hitachi!!! 410GB sounds good!!

^^ Price check....
I am almost broke after the hs95 and now this combo :'(

if you could post the prevalent prices along with the suggestions, would be really appreciated :hap2:

Fine.... Ditch upgrading the RAM OR HDD. Any one.

Another option is to sell as much of your old stuff and then buy newer stuff. Like the HDDs, the RAM, etc...

To be honest, if the RAM runs at DDR 400, no harm in keeping it until you have saved up enough. And the HDDs too, you can use wit hthe A8V.

Seagate 250GB (SATA)
Rs. 6350/-

Price of Twinmos 2 x 1 GB will be around 8K or so.

The PSU will cost around 3-4K. Vantec Ion2 460W
Apex Enterprises
Rs. 3750/-

The Zebby 540 watts is 5.5K

Give first importance to PSU. Then the HDD and RAM(in any order you like depending on performance of RAM)

Well, try setting the memory divider in the BIOS to DDR 400 and running it in sync with the FSB. Just fiddle around with the BIOS and try increasing the speed of your RAM. Decrease the multiplier of the CPU so that the CPU does not become unstable and you think it could be the RAM.

Decrease the multi of your CPU so that it runs much much slower than the stock settings.

BTW... For PSU i have two up for grabs.... look in market section... Powersafe 400 and 450... Good PSU's let me tell you...

And zebby is 4500 with shipping.... I know cause i have two... If you want one then call me... Will direct you on how to go about it :)

^^^I am here Switch:p, the Marketing manager is on vacation, he'll be back on 10th so superczar if u r buying the zebby then buy it after 10th. Also look into switch's Deal on PSU they are good:)

rare as finding a bottle of Chardonnay in a Chennai TASMAC shop

maybe u can try the one at spencers one. heard they had a good stock. maybe u should consider combining ur psu+bottles purschase. maybe ull get a discount :clap:

cool!
sorry folks, my bad...my ram is indeed PC3200.....i totally forgot the mobo is a 167X2 fsb :ashamed: so no need to buy RAM :)
guess it's only the psu and HDD then :D

@Switch....
Time for me to get outta the geek mode and start prepaing for the new year bash :hap2: so will speak to you on the psu later.....
hope you can get outtayour Saturday morning cocoon and ship me the combo today :hap5: :cool2:

cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
stick with ur HDDs..i still use my 2 yr old 160gig :p

RAM..get a decent 512x2 DDR400...and PSU, either the Powersafe 400 or 450 switch is selling. good enough

PSU - Pick up Switch's 400W used or the antec being sold by mandar for 3k.

HDD - THeyre fine, relax!

RAM - Look arnd for good deals, and jump on them! But ram deserves to be bought new, with their cost being 2.2k or so for 512mb ddr400!

damn...i just bought a stick of 512 from delta, and its not running at 400mhz with my other stick cos it is double sided. you can buy it from me if you want.

As per what he says, his RAM is already PC3200/DDR 400.

His previous board had an FSB of 333Mhz and was forcing the RAM to downclock to DDR333 speeds.

Back