[NOOB Alert] How do I redirect a domain to my google apps engine portal?

mk76

Adept
First thing first - Noob Alert. I am not into website designing so not familiar with terms/process.

Recently purchased a domain from bigrock.in to create a personal portal. While looking for hosting options, came across a reference of creating apps on google apps engine.
1) So I created an app on GAE
2) Uploaded a sample static website
3) tested it xxxxx.appspot.com Working fine.
4) On bigrock.in admin console -
5) Created a cname entry wiki for mydomain.com with value xxxxx.appspot.com

However this is not working. This gets redirected to google home page and not my app. How do I redirect , lets say , wiki.mydomain.com to my google app portal.

I tried to configure from what I could understand from google documentation/references from internet. However since this is not my forte, so probably I might be missing steps.

Any idea what I did wrong?

As mentioned by TheBurger you are in right direction but you need to register your domain with Google Apps Engine.

Follow the link provided by @TheBurger.

If you want to use wiki.yourdomain.com. Then first you need to create a subdomain from your cpanel as wiki.yourdomain.com.

Then register the subdomain with Google Apps Engine. Then after that, you'll automatically get the instructions for changing CName, follow that and you'll be fine.

Thanks guys. I checked that.
Google apps engine signup takes me to Google Apps for business which is a paid service. Also I found that there used to exist a Google apps standard which is no longer available. To start with I would to have it as less expensive as feasible

So coming to my requirement of having a personal portal with not so much expected traffic for quite some time, what would a better hosting options ? The content would be images or link to images on flickr. So may a nice flash based portal
1) Google - Because by singing up for 1 user (5 USDper month) I get mail, drive and docs facilities plus 1 GB space for apps. I am not sure if I can create 10 apps and link to 1 external domain to make it like 10 gb of space !!
2) Some other hosting service - eg. Hostdime - For lesser price of around 3.5 USD pm, get 100gb / 10 gb bandwidth with cpanel. Only not sure about mail and other facilities google apps give.

So need advice on what option will be good for me?

Use Openshift (free for life(?) and running on Amazon ec2) or Amazon ec2 (free for 1 year)
https://openshift.redhat.com/

You only get 1GB of space on Openshift per instance, but if you're using flickr for storage that shouldn't really pose a problem.
You can use Windows Live for domains for your emails and drive. (free)

The only problem with Openshift is that you need to visit your site atleast once a day otherwise they hibernate it. They'll wake it up the moment someone visits your site again, but that means the initial visitor gets really long page load times.

This method no longer works. Google has already patched it. The link for Google Apps standard has been replaced by Google Apps for business.

This method no longer works. Google has already patched it. The link for Google Apps standard has been replaced by Google Apps for business.
Yeah, looks like Google disabled that. My bad.

If it helps, Google recently dropped the price for Google Apps for Indian users. The current price is 125 INR per user per month if paid yearly and 150 INR if paid monthly.

Yeah, looks like Google disabled that. My bad.

If it helps, Google recently dropped the price for Google Apps for Indian users. The current price is 125 INR per user per month if paid yearly and 150 INR if paid monthly.

Pls share the link. I am coming across 5 USD.

Back