Nokia to continue support for Symbian at least till 2016

Well... IMO after using phones from different brands, Nokia has the BEST hardware as far as reliability goes. El-Cheapo brands like Micromax phones last for only 2 years before the hardware shows signs of degradation. With Sony, Motorolla, etc while the hardware is good, a few rough incidents like a fall or maybe a trip into the washing machine and the device is gone. Nokia phones on the other hand can withstand 4 years of rough use and still have lots of juice left in them to carry on.

But if there is one thing which is lacking in their phones its the OS. Android makes phones seem more like tiny PCs. Symbian is primarily an interface for making phone calls. Today its an interface for phone calls and multimedia and some entertainment apps. But it ends there. There definitely ARE apps for symbian, there is no denying it. Qt is a wonderful platform to work on and I think QtDesigner is the best free software interface creator. But Android simply feels much more complete as a platform, and it doesn't tie you to one handset manufacturer.

If it could be possible to install something like CyanogenMod onto a NOKIA handset, no other phone manufacturer could even survive in the market :D

linuxtechie said:
Not to bash Nokia fan's out here. But I never like the UI in Nokia, it never felt smooth, it's something that has clung to Symbian for ages.
Without going into specifics.. you're going to see a massive update in terms of speed and UI/UX later this year.. imagine a sort of cross between iOS , Android and Symbian :)

I think you''ll like it..

dhruvrock2000 said:
Without going into specifics.. you're going to see a massive update in terms of speed and UI/UX later this year.. imagine a sort of cross between iOS , Android and Symbian :)

Seems very exciting... so is it a better option to wait for this update rather than going for one of the Symbian^3 phones now, was looking to get the C6-01 ?

comp@ddict said:
like this part

I think S^3 is more than enough for 90% of phone users out there, only the tweaky, itchy, b**chy, and horny(about phones) 10% require(or desire) android OS phones. True a million fart apps isn't much compared to 10,000 great apps.

And the fact that Nokia will continue on S^3 till 2016 is a very good sign faith in their symbian handsets and good news for symbian^3 phone owners too
I have pretty much all the operating systems out there and i'm a customization whore.. i still prefer my N8 ... why ? Coz it works great as a phone. As much as i'd like to mess around , i just don't have time to do that. My usage -- > emails , twitter , music and BADASS PHOTOGRAPHY :D

The Xperia Play that i'm using right now dies in 6 hours of standby , my Symbian phones don't die in 6 hours of heavy use. I have everything from RDP access to remotely controlling input peripherals to an instagram clone on a Symbian phone ... why should i hate it when it does everything i want ?

/rant (just pissed off at people who diss Symbian for no real issue.. you want pretty.. go get an iPhone)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

eternoMind said:
1080p playback, how does that matter on a phone ?
Asking this out of noobness/curiosity :S !!
It doesn't... an average good quality 1080p movie will be atleast 9-10GB in size (minimum) High end Android phones mostly come with 16GB memory with about 13odd GB user accessible.. would you be willing to sacrifice most of that memory space with 1 movie ? Just makes no sense other than "yes , i can do that"

eternoMind said:
Seems very exciting... so is it a better option to wait for this update rather than going for one of the Symbian^3 phones now, was looking to get the C6-01 ?

Go ahead... the UI update will come to ALL current Symbian 3 devices. But of course there are going to be higher spec Symbian phones soonish.. so upto you to decide. I'd say the C6-01 is a very nice phone. Very good looking.

dhruvrock2000 said:
I have pretty much all the operating systems out there and i'm a customization whore.. i still prefer my N8 ... why ? Coz it works great as a phone. As much as i'd like to mess around , i just don't have time to do that. My usage -- > emails , twitter , music and BADASS PHOTOGRAPHY :D

The Xperia Play that i'm using right now dies in 6 hours of standby , my Symbian phones don't die in 6 hours of heavy use. I have everything from RDP access to remotely controlling input peripherals to an instagram clone on a Symbian phone ... why should i hate it when it does everything i want ?

/rant (just pissed off at people who diss Symbian for no real issue.. you want pretty.. go get an iPhone)

Thats purely down to the perfect optimization of the Symbian OS to its hardware.
It doesn't... an average good quality 1080p movie will be atleast 9-10GB in size (minimum) High end Android phones mostly come with 16GB memory with about 13odd GB user accessible.. would you be willing to sacrifice most of that memory space with 1 movie ? Just makes no sense other than "yes , i can do that"

Yep true that, i mean whats the point in playing full HD videos on that small a screen.

Go ahead... the UI update will come to ALL current Symbian 3 devices. But of course there are going to be higher spec Symbian phones soonish.. so upto you to decide. I'd say the C6-01 is a very nice phone. Very good looking.

Good looks aside, i like the CBD, the capacitive nHD screen, DivX playback out of the box and of course the gorilla glass. Though going by what you are saying, i would wait out for the new models but it would be upto the price after all.

@eternomind : The Play is not the first one i'm using.. its a general trend i've noticed that Android really is a battery sucker.

Yeah the C6-01 is a packed device.. divx , wmv , mkv.. it supports a shit load of codecs and i think it has video out via composite as well (no HDMI)

well don't expect the newer devices to be priced close to it.. if this is the price range , then its a definite +1 to the C6-01

dhruvrock2000 said:

No offense bro but you are doing the same thing, If you like a device well go and buy it. Not necessarily everyone likes that :) .... I didnt buy a iphone because it was pretty lol. There are multiple brands and market and everything offers something unique and different, it depends upon on your priority and requirements what you like and buy.

^^ The problem is unlike what you said, most people won't accept the iPhone is not the most complete device .. it makes features more presentable .. take any age old Symbian device and it did much more than any iPhone now .. but people will still say the iPhone is more featured .. and then came Android .. when people had no option, they did not complain .. now they have a chance to whine, so they whine .. i have been a Symbian user from 2002, and have tried everything .. but at the end of the day i still feel at home with Symbian .. there are some basic things which i can do very easily on the Symbian, but feel alienated on iPhone or Android ..

deathvirus_me said:
when people had no option, they did not complain .. now they have a chance to whine, so they whine ..

Couldn't agree with you anymore, nicely put :)

It's all Android fanbois come and shit everywhere about 1lakh apps blah blah blah, but most of them are waste IMHO. I am just bored. I removed all apps from my Nook Color and decided to switch it back to stock. Will be more happy with more battery power rather shitload of apps

I got a Nokia C6-01 for my Dad and was setting things up and seriously i fell in love with that phone. It looks amazing and the build quality is top notch. Its difficult to find the same even in high end phones these days. And the screen was drop dead gorgeous man...I encoded some videos and watched them and both the video and sound quality is mind blowing.

And hell, i played angry birds on it and it was running all HD games so smoothly which is unbelievable for a processor it has.

I was looking at my android phone and the Samsung and was thinking, Nokia needs to get back into business. And yeah the Anna update will stir things up with the onscreen keyboard, a new browser, revamped home screens and UI etc...

And what i like about Nokia is just that its simple...I am not a Android hater, so excuse but this one felt really good compared to the Android experience :)

avi said:
Couldn't agree with you anymore, nicely put :)

It's all Android fanbois come and shit everywhere about 1lakh apps blah blah blah, but most of them are waste IMHO. I am just bored. I removed all apps from my Nook Color and decided to switch it back to stock. Will be more happy with more battery power rather shitload of apps
Same here. When got my blade loaded apps irrespective of need. But as of now i do not remember installing any new apps in last one month. The novelty does wear off over time, at least happened with me.

dhruvrock2000 said:

I too have same query as eternoMind. Is it wise to now wait for the nokia phone where you are mentioning about the convergence of the best from the rival OSes ?
If yes then can you mention some approximate time. I do understand that you probably are bound by the fact that you cannot give any sensitive information but at least some approximate figures would help.

^ I think what he is saying is that is going to be a firmware upgrade. If that's the case I guess you should be able to opt in for one of the current models. Symbian's hardware requirements rarely are demanding, so I don't think it should be much of a hassle to extract performance out of newer firmwares

raksrules said:
Same here. When got my blade loaded apps irrespective of need. But as of now i do not remember installing any new apps in last one month. The novelty does wear off over time, at least happened with me.

I too have same query as eternoMind. Is it wise to now wait for the nokia phone where you are mentioning about the convergence of the best from the rival OSes ?

If yes then can you mention some approximate time. I do understand that you probably are bound by the fact that you cannot give any sensitive information but at least some approximate figures would help.
Well the OS update will be through a firmware update for all devices running Symbian^3. But what got me excited is when dhruv said some higher specced phones are in the pipeline from Nokia. So i thought it would be a better idea to wait for the new phone as well as updated OS. But he also later mentioned that those devices would be far more costly than what i had in mind, the C6-01. So unless you are restricted by a budget, wait it out.

comp@ddict said:
it's smooth actually, smoother than I felt scrolling through android's UI I'm damn serious.
(Dont say use CM7 or a custom rom, the stock is supposed to be good enuf)..

Only, Nokia's multi-layered UI calls for organisation, not ease of accessibility.
Ok let me clarify, the font rendering is really not at par with any other phones like android, iphone, blackberry winphone. I am sure that they never even noticed it.

For those of you who are interested in S^3 devices, check following videos.

Qt Demo apps

Flowd (Created using Qt)

Linkedin (Created using Qt)

Nokia Bubbles (Created using Qt)

Nokia Sleeping Screen

Nokia Big Screen

Using Wacom Bamboo with N8 :O

N8 with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and HDMI-out all at the same time..Angry Birds on big screen :cool2:

linuxtechie said:
Ok let me clarify, the font rendering is really not at par with any other phones like android, iphone, blackberry winphone. I am sure that they never even noticed it.
Agree. Well atleast the default font is being changed :p

At everyone .. i repeat , the updates will come to all current phones as well. There will be higher specced stuff in the future (dual cores n all) but obviously they will be more expensive than a C6-01 :p

Me ? I'm happy with the N8 , my next phone will be a WP7 device sometime next year..

Its not the font rendering, but the font itself .. try the new Nokia Pure font and u'll be quite astonished .. Nokia never cared about the software front up until now .. now what happens when the big guys pump it up ?? :p... wait and see ..

PS : Nokia Pure in action :D

deathvirus_me said:
^^ The problem is unlike what you said, most people won't accept the iPhone is not the most complete device .. it makes features more presentable .. take any age old Symbian device and it did much more than any iPhone now .. but people will still say the iPhone is more featured .. and then came Android .. when people had no option, they did not complain .. now they have a chance to whine, so they whine .. i have been a Symbian user from 2002, and have tried everything .. but at the end of the day i still feel at home with Symbian .. there are some basic things which i can do very easily on the Symbian, but feel alienated on iPhone or Android ..
Are you kidding me with that statement, when people had no choices they were suffering(remember how we were suffering with ambassadors and premiers, till the better cars came in market). I know you feel at home in with symbian, i am not doubting that. Even i feel very familiar with Symbian as i have used the devices sometime back. But complete disrespect for other choices like you people do and say is not right. IMO iphone is better choice than symbian FOR ME. Let discuss what you find better on symbian and whats bad on iphone in a decent way but saying that people buy iphone because its pretty is just lame. And looking at the signature i can understand what a fanboy someone is for symbian. Neither apple is paying me to use iphone neither nokia, i buy whatever i feel like using.

And why do you think nokia is moving towards WM7 ?

Back