WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Nokia prices it sensibly. I just saw the phone in Bangkok and it did not feel heavy at all. I could not use it for long but the interface was super smooth. It is priced at around 16000 THB there which comes to approx 29K INR or so. I did not buy the phone there because the India launch was near.

Hey,

I was surfing and found that a website has listed some features/issues that are missing/reported in Windows phone 8. Can somebody who has used windows phone 8 confirm if below mentioned features/issues are missing/exist on windows phone 8?

1. No Divx/Xvid video codec support. Converting with Zune will loss the video quality.
  2. Your contact details are automatically uploaded to cloud service whether you like it or not.
  3. Voice search is hardwired to Bing.
  4. Cannot set static IP address so no connection to ad-hoc networks.
  5. No VPN support for this “corporate enterprise” phone.
  6. Cannot sync directly with Outlook without syncing to Cloud
  7. Totally closed OS, cannot sideload apps outside MS Marketplace.
  8. System font size cannot be changed
  9. Windows Live ID account cannot change country once set.
  10. Alarm clock cannot work when phone is turned off. All Nokia Symbian and Meego phones can do this.
  11. The idle screen is completely blank and cannot display time or notifications.
  12. Cannot silence ringtone or alarm by flipping the phone.
  13. Very limited customization option.
  14. No always visible status bar for battery life, signal strength, carrier, 2G/3G wi-fi, Bluetooth on.
  15. Taskmanager has no option to shut down apps you don’t want running in the background.
  16. Lockscreen need to be activated to show missed call/sms notification.
  17. No way to close an app except pressing back button all the way to the first screen.
  18. Tiny fonts in messages is very hard to read for those over 45.
  19. Cannot create and save playlists on the phone.
  20. Cannot close music player, can only pause. Music player on lockscreen will stay until you reboot. Be careful not to touch it in a meeting.
  21. Cannot recognize phone numbers in sms or email to save or use as calling number.
  22. Cannot select multiple pictures for deleting, sending or uploading. They must be done one at a time.
  23. Apps are listed alphabetically with no way to group by category. Can be hard to find if you don’t remember the name.
  24. Calendar scheduler has no weekly view and monthly view is non-zoomable.
  25. If both wi-fi and data connection are available which one it chooses to use is unpredictable. User experiences don’t agree with Microsoft that it “typically” choose wi-fi over 3G.
  26. No haptic feedback for keyboard.
  27. No Swype.
  28. No flashplayer support.
  29. No support for Java apps.
  30. No call blocking or app to do it.
  31. IE browser has no text reflow, no download capability and no offline reading.
  32. No 3rd party browsers allowed except those based on IE.
  33. Volume up/down buttons cannot be used to zoom in camera
  34. Cannot open zip or rar files received as email attachment.
  35. Cannot send or receive video by MMS.
  36. Office Mobile has much less features than 3rd party Office editors like SmartOffice, QuickOffice and Polaris.
  37. No native Google maps and Bing maps is useless for most countries outside U.S.
  38. Wide difference in apps availability in different markets and users locked to one market.
  39. Not all Bing features available outside U.S. especially Local Scout
  40. One volume control for all functions including media playback, ringtones, alarms, notifications.
  41. Wi-fi disconnects when screen sleeps.
  42. Can only enter one mobile phone no. for each contact. Mobile nos. entered in other fields will not accept sms.
  43. Cannot send/receive MMS without enabling 3G data connection. MMS does not use 3G data.
  44. Phone cannot be charged when off.
  45. Oversized fonts for headings waste screen space and result in low information density
  46. Phone will wake up and display sms content on lockscreen when locked – a privacy violation.
  47. Phone can be rebooted without entering security code.
  48. No way to backup or export call history
  49. Call history does not group calls by contact.
  50. No ringer profiles.
  51. Cannot send/receive contact as a csv file.
  52. Alarm does not revert to speaker if headphones are plugged in.
  53. Forwarded emails cannot be edited
  54. Internet Explorer has no Forward/Backward button for page views.
  55. No OTG (On-the-Go) Cable support

So its priced around 37K in India. Still a bad pricing. I was hoping it to be 30K or so.

Nokia hasn't outed any word on the official pricing of the device so these are purely speculations. The Mobile Store has it listed for 40k but they have mentioned it may change after the press announcement.

I am sorry for that long list. Now, I have put only those points in the list which matters to me so please any windows phone 8 user clarify these points. Thanks in advance.
1) No Divx/Xvid video codec support. Converting with Zune will loss the video quality.
2) Alarm clock cannot work when phone is turned off.
3) The idle screen is completely blank and cannot display time or notifications.
4) Cannot silence ringtone or alarm by flipping the phone.
5) No always visible status bar for battery life, signal strength, carrier, 2G/3G wi-fi, Bluetooth on.
6) Lockscreen needs to be activated to show missed call/sms notification.
7) Cannot create and save playlists on the phone.
8) Cannot close music player, can only pause. Music player on lockscreen will stay until you reboot.
9) Cannot recognize phone numbers in sms or email to save or use as calling number.
10) Cannot select multiple pictures for deleting, sending or uploading. They must be done one at a time.
11) Calendar scheduler has no weekly view and monthly view is non-zoomable.
12) If both wi-fi and data connection are available which one it chooses to use is unpredictable.
13) No flashplayer support.
14) No support for Java apps.
15) No call blocking or app to do it.
16) IE browser has no text reflow, no download capability and no offline reading.
17) Volume up/down buttons cannot be used to zoom in camera
18) Cannot open zip or rar files received as email attachment.
19) Cannot send or receive video by MMS.
20) Can only enter one mobile phone no. for each contact. Mobile nos. entered in other fields will not accept sms.
21) Cannot send/receive MMS without enabling 3G data connection. MMS does not use 3G data.
22) Phone cannot be charged when off.
23) Alarm does not revert to speaker if headphones are plugged in.
24) Forwarded emails cannot be edited
25) No OTG (On-the-Go) Cable support

Firstly, WP8 doesn't work with Zune, a dead giveaway that this is an old list from WP7 era. But yes, there's no support for Divx even in WP8. Most of issues on the list are so trivial, irrelevant or obscure (to me) I haven't even noticed after 1 month of use. As far as I can remember, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, 18, 20 are all false or at least partially false. The ones that are true are 1 (no quality loss if you use a good converter, plus who uses Xvid today? X264 works fine), 5 (you can swipe in to view it at any time, and it doesn't clutter when you don't need it) and 25 (although it does work as a USB Mass Storage device unlike WP7). The rest I don't know and don't care. By the way, also many many errors in the bigger list, some of which weren't even true for WP7.5!

PS: MKV container isn't supported by Xbox Music+Video, but MP4 works fine with X264. So a simple remux works with no conversions. For MKV might need a third party player. VLC is launching on WP8 soon.

Thanks very much for the clarification 'Sub'. Now, I have no problems in choosing Lumia 920 over any android. This is the place from where I got this list: [h=1]110 Reasons Why To NOT Buy Windows Phone Device[/h]
After reading this list, I was shocked that Windows phone 8 missing so many features so I came up here to clarify and now I am very much satisfied and confident to buy Lumia 920. Waiting eagerly for its launch tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any webcast available for Nokia Lumia 920 launch event?

- - - Updated - - -

There is an update regarding tomorrow's Nokia Lumia 920 launch:

Michael: Update: It is not the launch of the devices as such, it is simply an event for the media. Bloggers will be getting treated with hands on time with the devices, as well some demos of the tech such as OIS, etc.

Source

- - - Updated - - -

This website has started selling Nokia lumia 920

http://theminimall.com/nokia-lumia-920

Today I saw them on flipkart. Lumia 920 for 36999/- and Lumia 820 for 26999/-
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Saholic sent me a mail just now mentioning that the Lumia 920 is available. And they have priced it at 36,500 -

Nokia Lumia Price in India | 920 Specifications, Features and Reviews

Flipkart has it for 37k -

Nokia Lumia 920 - Nokia: Flipkart.com

The Mobile Store has revised their 40k pricing and now says 36, 759 -

http://www.themobilestore.in/mobiles-tablet/nokia-lumia-920/p-31103-32742722981-cat.html

So it does look like the 36k price tag as Mohit put it yesterday. Not bad but not too great. Will wait for Nokia's press event though.

Are there any good cases for Lumia 920 that would be worth getting? I tend to drop my phones a lot.

Darn, I heard that it has support for Xvid/DivX. Naah, this is off my list. I aint converting all the old Hindi movies I have in xvid format.

You got the case before the phone?! Now, that's a different level of determination :)

:ashamed:

Just like how I was sourcing the PS3 titles before I got the console. :p

Either way, this phone is cheaper than the iPh 5 and the pricing that stands at 38k'ish is decent enough for me.

:ashamed:

Just like how I was sourcing the PS3 titles before I got the console. :p

Either way, this phone is cheaper than the iPh 5 and the pricing that stands at 38k'ish is decent enough for me.

Where you getting it from. Or all ready hit the debit card on FK..? You better put up a comprehensive review, even if you write it sitting on those ships you float out there in Gujarat..! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back