Budget 10-15K Nokia Lumia 620 or LG Optimus L9

meet6600

Adept
Hi friends,

My College mate is planning to upgrade to a new handset and is confused between above 2. He is currently using Samsung Galaxy Wave. Here goes the template:

Questions:-
1. Q: Budget?
A: 15k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Any

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: None but No Indian Brands at all.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Occasional Photos and LED Flash Required

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android or Windows 8

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, WiFi

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Whatsapp, Basic Usage of Calls, Message, Mail Check, Occasional Videos but Audio Quality should be above average.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Good Build Quality and Easy UI

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Well as of now following were considered:

1) Samsung Galaxy S Advance- At the Current Price, It was really good but My Friend's colleague has the same and suffers a lot of connectivity issues. Till now, whether this is resolved in JB Update or not is not at all confirmed so rejected.

2) Sony Xperia Series (U, Sola & Go)- Had a very bad experience with Sony Previously so no matter how good these may be, they are out on account of poor after sales experience under warranty.
3) Nokia Lumia 620- Fresh, New and the Simplest one which He liked very much. Suits him a lot but I am not sure about audio quality and neither I know what all Apps are currently now with Windows 8. My Friend's is not a App Junkie and never uses Phone for Gaming so only a few Apps like Office, PDF, Whatsapp, True Caller and Basic Suite like Calculator etc is all he wants.

4) LG Optimus L9- A worthy Option in Android with 4.1 promised, but too large and audio quality is the deal breaker. Rest All things are Ok but Nokia 620 has better Camera, Price and Looks. If someone can shed light on Audio Quality or We have to check in store via headphones to see if which one is good. FM is not required.

5) hTC One S- Design made him go for it but the Price was a bit too high and the options mentioned in subject were too good.

My friend's need as mentioned are very basic but I would still love opinion from TE to make a final recommendation. Please help and thanks in advance,

Template is not visible in dark theme... Have to do Ctrl+A :wideyed: ...
Going by the requirements of your friend, Lumia 620 seems better choice...
Thanks Bro, but any idea about Sound Quality? GSMArena does have numbers to compare both but, that are over my head! :( I mean if someone could decode those numbers and just tell me, which one would sound good via headphones- L9 or NL620?

Hey there! I would pick the Optimus L9 without a doubt. The audio quality, according to gsmarena seems to be above average and better than the Lumia 620 with earphones. The display has a higher resolution, its got a bigger screen and its got more ram!! And android is much better than windows phone 8 in terms of apps, customizability etc. Even though you may not be into customization right now, its a worthwhile feature to have. BUT, the camera on the L9 is nothing to boast about, im pretty sure the lumia 620 takes much better photos. But the L9 has 1080p video recording while the lumia just has 720p video recording.. Personally I would choose the L9 because I'm a big android fan and I don't like windows 8 OS!
Cheers!

Seeing the requirements cited by your friend, I would say go for the Lumia 620.

Whatsapp - Check, Basic Usage of Calls - Check, Message - Check, Mail Check - Yes

Occasional Videos but Audio Quality should be above average -
XviD, DivX and MP4 videos up to 1080p resolution. AC3 audio codec not yet supported though and also no subtitle support at this point. Audio quality is above average, though if you're friend is an audiophile and intends to use this as his player, then stay away.

Good Build Quality and Easy UI - Nokia and WP8 take care of this requirement too. Great build quality, and the UI of WP8 is fluid and easy.

Camera is better on the Lumia 620, though the video recording is restricted to 720p. It would still take better quality videos than L9.

i got a lumia 620 and here are the things i miss most about android
no task manager
no file manager
no mkv support (no third party media players either)
no lock auto rotation
free games barely have 4-5 levels..
so even though im a nokia fan id suggest an android..and 620 has average earphones

Just got a lumia 620 and I really miss lock orientation setting. This one re draws the entire screen if orientation is changed which sucks. I can't see call duration in call log. There is only date/time and the person's ID. Hope MS will update these and more app developers to make WP8 even more exciting proposition. Can't compare it to Android as Android has been around for 5 years or so. WP8 is just 6 months old?!

Seeing the requirements cited by your friend, I would say go for the Lumia 620.

Whatsapp - Check, Basic Usage of Calls - Check, Message - Check, Mail Check - Yes

Occasional Videos but Audio Quality should be above average - XviD, DivX and MP4 videos up to 1080p resolution. AC3 audio codec not yet supported though and also no subtitle support at this point. Audio quality is above average, though if you're friend is an audiophile and intends to use this as his player, then stay away.

Good Build Quality and Easy UI - Nokia and WP8 take care of this requirement too. Great build quality, and the UI of WP8 is fluid and easy.

Camera is better on the Lumia 620, though the video recording is restricted to 720p. It would still take better quality videos than L9.
Hey does Lumia 620 play XviD, DivX and MP4 videos up to 1080p resolution just out of the box?

If your friend wants instant notifications and no waiting for whatsapp to show up, then take an android mobile. My Lumia 620 re loads the whole thing every time I open it. As per my understanding, the WP8 OS suspends it during multi tasking hence it will take a while before the friend list appears. This is very frustrating... Do go for L9/L7. Cheers!

Hey does Lumia 620 play XviD, DivX and MP4 videos up to 1080p resolution just out of the box?

The video player in Windows Phone 8 has greatly improved codec support since our last encounter. Now it supports XviD (though we had some issues with this codec), DivX and MP4 videos up to 1080p resolution. The few things it won't play are MKV files and videos using the AC3 audio codec. There is no subtitle support at this point

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_620-review-885p6.php

The basic difference being in both the phones is the Operating System. One is Android and the other being Windows, and that answers a lot of question. Android having a very large and wholesome app store where as Windows having a comparatively smaller and limited store. Apart from that LG seems to be having a slighter egde above the Nokia, i'd go for the LG any day!

^ I agree with that if OP can't decide why he wants an android over WP8 than he better buy Lumia 620 and be happy with platform.

I understand there can be a confusion between 2 similar priced androids or 2 similar WP8 phones though

Thanks a lot for your views and comments! I informed my friend to hold on a bit as JB Roll out of LG L9 now makes it a really good buy![DOUBLEPOST=1363456856][/DOUBLEPOST]Initial Reviews at XDA are too positive and I am waiting for official Update to roll out! But as of now, LG L9 is indeed a much better option!

You made a good choice ! My sis has the Lumia 620 and while she is happy with the build and responsiveness of the phone she is bitterly disappointed with the apps available.

Many popular games like Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds (all versions) and many more that are free for Android users are paid apps on WP8.

And many games like Temple Run which worked fine on her old Dell XCD35 which cost half of the Lumia won't run on her phone as it requires a minimum of 1 GB ram to play.

So no WP8 below 20k can play a simple game like Temple Run !!!! :p

Simply ridiculous IMO.

You made a good choice ! My sis has the Lumia 620 and while she is happy with the build and responsiveness of the phone she is bitterly disappointed with the apps available.

Many popular games like Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds (all versions) and many more that are free for Android users are paid apps on WP8.

And many games like Temple Run which worked fine on her old Dell XCD35 which cost half of the Lumia won't run on her phone as it requires a minimum of 1 GB ram to play.

So no WP8 below 20k can play a simple game like Temple Run !!!! :p

Simply ridiculous IMO.
Are you sure that Temple run requires 1Gb ram, coz my iPod Touch 4G with just meagre 256Mb ram plays it very smoothly.

This game issue is due to lazy developers and unoptimised code.

Its not wp8 issue per se.

Gameloft also had this issue and they trimmed games and now they work.as.smooth as any other device.

I agree with @pratikb. However, the question is, when will the optimised apps be available! As of now, unless it has 1GB of RAM, I would not advice anyone to buy any WP8 device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back