WP Nokia Lumia 520 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAH! a two new (perhaps interlinked) observations/issues now:
1. Whenever I restart my phone, the phone starts with "Airplane mode" (I can see the icon), then "no signal" (icon) and finally it catches the signal (icon).

2. There are intermittent periods when my phone shows absolutely no signal. I cannot dial anyone. Anyone else calling me doesn't get any conclusive message (like out of reach etc) - just plain silence. I use Airtel, but the funny thing is that all the other people around me HAVE full Airtel signal in the phones. How is this possible?

Today, just a few minutes ago, I faced this problem again.
On a hunch, I went to settings, switched on airplane mode, and then switched it off.
Full signal immediately!

But I need to know a few things:
1. Do other people also observe that the phone switches on in "flight mode", and then goes into catching signal ...
2. The issue with zero signal is phone problem or Airtel problem?
3. If it is indeed a phone problem, how will I prove/demonstrate? It is an intermittent problem ...

Actually, WhatsApp are the ones who has to fix this issue, its their fault.. not MS :)
There are a lot of issues MS has to fix too; and they are very slow with their updates. They need to add a lot of missing features and functionalities fast, but they are going very slow with it and holding the excellent hardware from Nokia back. It is a new OS and current updates are at the same rate as Android and iOS, but to compete with them, they need to come up to par soon.

The 8.1 is expected to release next year. It would've been better if they released it by October.

Have you reset the phone?

Not until I know that the problem exists and cannot be solved.

Steps to reproduce the problem:
1. Airtel signal drops out completely (pretty usual, nothing extraordinary).
2. Phone display no signal icon.
3. Airtel signal comes back (I know, because I tested point no 1 by going into a location where airtel is not able to reach, and at point no 3: I am back to location where I have full Airtel signal)
4. The phone still displays no signal icon
5. There is indeed no connectivity, the phone sits deaf & dumb, you cannot make calls, send sms, browse internet, cannot receive calls ...
6. Restart the phone.
7. Same status as #4 and #5
8. Go to settings, turn flight mode ON, and then OFF
9. Presto! You get full signal (in fact you can ignore #6 and straightaway jump to #8)

I read a new version should come out by this weekend... hopefully then we will be able to tell you if WhatsApp is working well.

whats wrong with whatsapp and lumia?
I am about to get a 520 :D

Not much, just makes you suicidal.

1) The notifications are crazy. Most times i dont get any unless i keep opening the app a nd checking it.
2) Sometimes I get notifications after I've read the messages. Which means there is a fake notification which i need to clear by opening the app again.
3) The smileys that show up and the smileys that are sent are very different. I send a yawning smiley and the one that shows up is a crying angry sorta one.
4) Its a bit of a battery hog.
5) It sometiems takes its own sweet time to start up.
6) Hangs sometimes at app change and revert back to the app.

And thats just a few to name. They say i huge update is coming, but god knows when.

3. Airtel signal comes back (I know, because I tested point no 1 by going into a location where airtel is not able to reach, and at point no 3: I am back to location where I have full Airtel signal)
5. There is indeed no connectivity, the phone sits deaf & dumb, you cannot make calls, send sms, browse internet, cannot receive calls ...
6. Restart the phone.
9. Presto! You get full signal (in fact you can ignore #6 and straightaway jump to #8)
My Samsung Focus and my sister's Omnia M both have this problem. And it hasnt got anything to do with Airtel (or Nokia) as I faced the same issue with Docomo. The signal drops and doesnt come back until you turn the Flight mode ON and then OFF or restart the phone completely. There's something wrong with the OS and not the phones as far as I can gather.

GAH! a two new (perhaps interlinked) observations/issues now:
1. Whenever I restart my phone, the phone starts with "Airplane mode" (I can see the icon), then "no signal" (icon) and finally it catches the signal (icon).

2. There are intermittent periods when my phone shows absolutely no signal. I cannot dial anyone. Anyone else calling me doesn't get any conclusive message (like out of reach etc) - just plain silence. I use Airtel, but the funny thing is that all the other people around me HAVE full Airtel signal in the phones. How is this possible?

Today, just a few minutes ago, I faced this problem again.
On a hunch, I went to settings, switched on airplane mode, and then switched it off.
Full signal immediately!

My Android phone Lava 501 had this issue where connection would drop intermittently saying "Restricted access changed" for 20 secs and then connect back. I searched google long and hard for any solution and found nothing.

Then i read a thread that recommended to put scotch tape on the sim part as it was suspected that the sim was not making firm contact with the socket. I did the same and Voila! , my problems disappeared. No more connection drops.

You can try doing the same. Although it could be a totally different issue as well

6. Restart the phone.

I second that..This happens quite a few times..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back