zero_cool

Disciple
On December 9, the govt. issued a waiver on Service Tax for transactions up to Rs. 2000 if paid using a Credit/Debit Card.
http://www.outlookindia.com/website...e-tax-on-card-payments-of-up-to-rs2000/297469

While one would believe that this would result in reducing the cost of eating at a restaurant, it doesn't seem to be be the case.
After the announcement, I paid using my credit card on two occasions at prominent restaurants in Mumbai (Theobroma and Smashh). Both of them charged me a service tax and refused to waive it off. On persisting that they offer an explanation as to why they are not abiding by the govt. announcement, I got the response that it is applicable only for Online Transactions made on website such as Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20161215_144048.jpg
    IMG_20161215_144048.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 245
Hmm...because the article's title doesn't reflect the content? From the article - "According to reports, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will introduce a notification in the parliament regarding this and move for amendment of the Service Tax Notification of June 2012 to include exemptions of credit cards and debit cards from service tax along with other areas that are exempted from service tax."

The keyword being "will", it is still not there yet. So they can charge until the bill is tabled, passed and promulgated.

Even if they do pass it will be for only for cards which are from RuPay and wont be for private cards by Visa/MasterCard/Maestro/Amex etc.

Yes it would be for Rupay cards only. There's no such notification to exempt Service tax for bills under Rs 2000. RIP News Portals.

Back