No rental for MTNL broadband

No rental for MTNL broadband

A Correspondent in Mumbai | May 16, 2005 13:49 IST

Giving a major fillip to India's fledgling broadband story, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd, the public sector utility that offers telecom services in Delhi and Mumbai, is slated to offer unlimited broadband access to subscribers.

Starting Tuesday (May 17), customers will have to pay no monthly rental and would end up paying only for the data they download at the rate of Rs 2 per MB.

Broadband in the Indian context has been defined as Internet connection offering speeds of 256 kbps or above. Earlier MTNL used to charge its customers a minimum monthly rental of Rs 399 and allow free downloads of up to 400 MB. Extra downloads, i.e. beyond 400 MB, used to be charged at Rs 1.20 per MB.

From Rediff.com

duh....who thinks of these funny 'schemes' anyways. There tariffs in any case were Rs.399 for 400MB, Rs.749 for 750MB and Rs.1199 for 1.25 GB. So now they want to promote broaband to people who use less than 200MB per month...what *******s

Rs 2 per MB... What are they thinking... This one is gonna backfire for good... Hope BSNL doesnt follow the suit...

Hopeless policy is the only description for this utter nonsense. Who cares about the monthly rental? Let them charge Rs.500 p.m. and allow unlimited downloads. That would make more sense. At 2 bucks per MB, one will be running up bills of 1000-1500 just browsing. Add downloads to that and God help us.

lol, the plan is a joke and its on the first page of indian express! Its actually costlier than the other plans.

They are saying that internet will be revolutionized etc etc. lmao.. its almost like MTNL paid them to run it as a news on the first page.

What in this world is going on?
TRAI has slashed the prices of internet bandwidth by more than 50% and they do this?
Now whoever buys under this plan is poor fellow.Sorry i cannot think of other word for the person who gets so called broadband under these terms.

Can't wait to get outta of this damn place for good.The BB hell called India.I can already smell the OC-12 line(622mbps)on the campus....

Dont hate the country for BB man ;)
This is the first year of true broadband. Give it 1 more year. Sify and Reliance will soon announce their new service plans( reliance is what most people are looking for, they will surely start pricewar ).

funkymonkey said:
Dont hate the country for BB man ;)
This is the first year of true broadband. Give it 1 more year. Sify and Reliance will soon announce their new service plans( reliance is what most people are looking for, they will surely start pricewar ).
Won't be of much use to me.I am outta here.Got my I-20 2day.Off to Purdue in Aug. :cool2:

Wraith said:
Latest from MTNL....Unlimited downloads from 12am to 8am for Rs 590/-
Its in todays TOI (Mumbai)

I have used the Hathway 256kbps 8to8 unlimited account for some months now and their rate is only 400/- per month. The MTNL rates are too high :mad:

You can never expect govt companies to offer anythign competitive.... bloody idiots should get a reality check....and look what other ISP's are offering and then make suitable plans.....
According to RSP Sinha, MTNL s chairman & MD, said that high rental is a deterrent to broadband growth. Therefore, we have introduced a tariff structure where one can pay only for the data downloaded. It seems MTNL has 20,000 broadband subscribers currently.

Source
Yeah right the high price....Rs 2/mb thats high all right!!! :mad: :mad:
Atleast they got something right! :clap:

Back