Video No audio while connecting PC to HDTV

jaber

Disciple
PC Video card: Nvidia 8600gt with dual dvi.
TV: Samsung Series 5 with 3 HDMI ports.

Here's how I currently have it set up.

8600gt DVI 1 -> hooked to regular LCD computer monitor
8600gt DVI 2 -> DVI to HDMI adapter -> HDMI port on Hdtv

The picture and video work just fine however the resolution on the tv seems to be off as the desktop doesnt fit the screen properly.Also theres no audio. Do I need to do something else?

Well if I can't set up the audio via the HDMI, how else can I get the audio from my PC to the HDTV? On the TV one of the HDMI ports has a left and right audio input (white and red RCA jacks).

Thanks for the help
Jaber.

Regarding Video:

1. Ensure both primary and secondary display are enabled in display properties and are set to respective resolution for example for monitor it may be 1680x1050 and for samsung series 5 it should be 1920x1080.

2. Check your video configuration on LCD TV and try to change settings between just scan it or 16:9

Regarding Audio:
It is very unlikely that audio can be passed through DVI port of your card though graphics card having HDMI port normally support audio pass through. I have also read that ATI modified DVI port now supports audio pass through and transmit audio if connected to HDMI cable through DVI-HDMI connector but it may not be case with your card.

You can connect your TV through optical cable if your your sound card have that port and spdif out should be enabled in this case.

select the audio out as HDMI out in your sound settings in control panel if the 8600GT has a sound processor on board, otherwise ull have to use RCA cables

and about the resolution not coming properly, for some weird reason running two different displays on different resolution doesnt seem to work properly, remove the monitor and connect only the lcd and see it fixes the issue

Rave said:
for some weird reason running two different displays on different resolution doesnt seem to work properly, remove the monitor and connect only the lcd and see it fixes the issue

As I said above, check your settings in LCD and change between just scan it and 16:9 and it would solve the problem

Ok i tried connecting using the VGA cable and 3.5mm audio jack.

However i can see only the post screen and windows scroll bar screen after that i get 'mode not supported'. What do i do now??

Go to your nvidia control panel and set the 1080P resolution manually for the tv and then it should work

Ok im still flummoxed..

I called the guy from Samsung to my place and even he tried using his own vga cable and still 'mode not supported'. And ya i tried setting the resolution to 1920X1080 and 1360X768 also.

Could someone tell me what other options do i have to connect this hdtv to my pc.

I have the same TV series 5 40" and I am able to use VGA and HDMI ..

- VGA prob: select the 1080p(yes VGA does support 1080p) in nvidia control panel or 720p and select just scan option in TV settings. if nothing comes on screen change VGA cable (i had faced the same problem and found vga cable was faulty)

For audio use 3.5mm cable from headphone port from ur PC and connect it to the socket provided at the back (3.5mm socket is only for sound with VGA)

- for DVI-HDMI cable (which i am using currently with my 8800gt): select 1080p from nvidia control panel and use just scan option (if ur using any other resolution "just scan" option will be disabled).

Make sure to use only HDMI port1, I think (or to be sure check maunal for PC connection section)

for audio, u need to connect 3.5mm jack from ur PC and use a converter splitting stereo in left channel and right cannel on 2 different wires and then u r done.

Note here only one specific HDMI connection support separate input for audio, which I think is either HDMI1 or HDMI2 (not sure which one

I will confirm this after reaching home..)

BTW: DVI to HDMI is the best possible connection for video

thanks for the info man will try it out...

btw where can i get that converter for audio with hdmi and what is it called exactly??

check the pics:

converter or splitter:

backpanel of TV:

-u need to use HDMI2 connection (which is unused and next to VGA in the pic)..also see two audio input for L & R channel sound input (reserved only for HDMI2), which is between VGA and HDMI2 . (use above splitter for PC connection)

- for VGA + audio: see next to VGA , a round socket ; this is 3.5mm jack so u can directly connect this to PC headphone output.

Edit: I have marked the above pic with text to make it easier 4 u. See the full size

jaber said:
thanks for the info man will try it out...

btw where can i get that converter for audio with hdmi and what is it called exactly??

ok i'll try getting that converter from somewhere... If i can get it, my problems should be solved.

But with vga the 'just scan' option is greyed out i can only select 16:9 and 4:3.

Back