Nexus 4 or Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5

Switch

Skilled
Hey guys,

I am upgrading from iPhone 4 and the only reason for the upgrade is real estate otherwise I am really happy with my phone. The main things which I want in my next upgrade is...

1. More screen size
2. Better camera
3. Faster
4. Better battery life then iPhone 4
5. iPhone like gaming experience(I know this is tricky hence can be overlooked to an extent).

I am not very but still familiar with android ecosystem(wifey owns a galaxy SL) which she hates :p. I play mostly popular mobile games like cut the rope, temple run, subway surfers, angry birds etc and not really gfx intensive games like the infinity blade etc though the upcoming real racing looks delicious.

I surf the net and use YouTube and Twitter mainly on my iPhone. More then my iPad. I use my phone camera for my work quite frequently and though picture quality is not really important the images which the camera should capture should be sharp and should show details correctly. Camera will mainly be used indoors with well lit interiors.

Those are my requirements. What fits the bill perfectly.

I would recommend that you first go to a store or a friend who has an iPhone 5 and see it for yourself. See if the 4 inch screen is to your liking or not. You currently use an iPhone and also have an iPad, so you're obviously well aware of iOS and the ecosystem. You also seem quite happy with it. If you don't like the iPhone 5, I'd recommend you try using your wife's phone for a few days. People coming from iOS do find Android cluttered and frustrating sometimes. Ofcourse Android has it's pros, but I don't think you have any real complaints with iOS. You can also contninue to share your paid apps between the iPad and iPhone. The only downside is the price of the iPhone 5. It is expensive. Should have been 5-6k cheaper. Having said that, I've already ordered mine! :D

Hey guys,

I am upgrading from iPhone 4 and the only reason for the upgrade is real estate otherwise I am really happy with my phone. The main things which I want in my next upgrade is...

1. More screen size
2. Better camera
3. Faster
4. Better battery life then iPhone 4
5. iPhone like gaming experience(I know this is tricky hence can be overlooked to an extent).

I am not very but still familiar with android ecosystem(wifey owns a galaxy SL) which she hates :p. I play mostly popular mobile games like cut the rope, temple run, subway surfers, angry birds etc and not really gfx intensive games like the infinity blade etc though the upcoming real racing looks delicious.

I surf the net and use YouTube and Twitter mainly on my iPhone. More then my iPad. I use my phone camera for my work quite frequently and though picture quality is not really important the images which the camera should capture should be sharp and should show details correctly. Camera will mainly be used indoors with well lit interiors.

Those are my requirements. What fits the bill perfectly.

Hey Switch,

I was in the exact same position as you a month ago, am a very satisfied Iphone4 user, and funnily enough our requirements are very similar. I got a good deal on the SGS3, took the plunge, wanted to try Android too, and I havent regretted it ever since.

Pros:
1) Screen size, this is a joy coming from the iphone, the screen is simply fabulous, flip side miss the ease of one handed operation (have small hands)
2) MUCH better battery life lasts me a full day with 3G turned on. Without 3G goes 2 days, with normal usage. Removable battery
3) Camera is superior to the Iphone, the video recording is excellent too. Has decent photo editing options too.
4) Gaming is as close as is it gets to the Iphone, how do i put it, maybe not as slick as the Iphone, but its not bad either, and the games listed are exactly ones I have. Bad Piggies which is free on android is an awesome game. (angry birds I dont see that much of a difference, Temple Run does feel ever so slightly non optimized)
5) Phone is fast, responsive no qualms with general navigation and app loading, hasnt crashed once since I powered on a month ago.
6) Got the expandable memory card, got a 32GB Class 10 card, and love my music collection on the go and blutooth with car.
7) General ease of use, simply copy paste stuff onto the phone/memory card.
8) Multi color LEDs telling you have a message, missed call, mail etc.
9) The google maps and live traffic is awesome, so is the beta navigation worked to perfection, you get voice guided navigation, used a couple times, got me to destination perfectly.

Cons:
1) Mail client is not as good as the iOSes, I have multiple mail accounts (Yahoo, Gmail, Office) iOS handled em beautifully, ICS - shows the default mail account, each time I have to select 'Combined view' to see all accounts, not sure if I am missing, cant seem to make this setting permanent. But individual mail apps should solve the issue, this is not a deal breaker.
2) Build, not as classy as the iphone, but with a decent case, its alright.

This is all I can recall for now, will post as when I remember something else.

I dont think I will go back to the iPhone, unless they come up with something REALLY better, or any other platform for that matter.

Hope this helped.

Cheers!

How about the GNote 2 ?
I was also under similar dilemma having been using the iPhones for the past few years. Using the Gnote2 and now i am fixated to it. Planning to buy it over the iPhone 5.

Do try out the iPhone 5 first. Since you have a couple of iOS devices, it would just be easier to get it. Completely switching to a new platform is quite a pain, considering the fact that you will end up spending more money to get the popular apps for that platform. Besides, I really don't find anything missing on the iPhone 5.

hey since you are not into which operating system to go with i suggest you wait until Nokia releases its 920 with windows 8 on it . coz it has got the excellent cam and every thing else you wished for. i am personally android fan boy but still this is for the best

People telling me to go in for iPhone 5 instead of android based phones cause of iOS. Well guys one of the main reasons for upgrade is the iOS boredom itself.

Also I have used the iPhone 5 for an hour. There is a really small screen size improvement. In other words if I were to buy iPhone 5 from 4 then the buying decision will not be cause of the .5" taller screen size.

No one suggested nexus 4 barring one member. I wonder why. What's the best price for which the S3 can be bought for. Also what's the speed difference between the US(quad core) vs International(dual core) version.

PS as for the peeps suggesting note 2 well it's sort of little too big for my liking.

Nexus 4 might not be mentioned due to its pending release info here in India.

Personally speaking:
1) LG brand is holding me back.
2) Limited storage/No mem card slot (something which does irks me)
3) Non-removable battery is a no go.
4) It ll be glass on both sides. More chances of the compulsion to use it in a case.
5) I am not too big a fan of massive footprints.

I would def vote for the S3.

Nexus 4 is a Beast that should be definitely considered.

1. Pure Android Experience
2. Awesome Design although its glass on both sides (still you have used iPhone 4 for so long which means you can definitely handle this as well)
3. Camera & Battery life are supposedly great

Since you already have a couple of apple devices, it's best for you to try something different. Android has improved a lot since gingerbread. And galaxy sl is not the best device to experience android.

You have to get a flagship device.

Pros for S3
-Large screen
-Good camera,
-Battery backup
-no lag
-expandable memory

Cons for S3
-Lot of bloatware like touchwiz from Samsung is included. Some might like it, I don't
-Updates will be slightly slower.
-Will be even slow when Samsung releases its next flagship device
-Plasticky feel

Pros for LG nexus 4
-Google device
-Great hardware and cheaper than S3, atleast elsewhere.
-Get updates directly from Google.
-Pure android experience
-Google will still support and release binaries for future 1 or 2 releases even after a new nexus phone is launched
-Looks good. I don't mind the glass back

Cons for LG nexus 4
-LG build quality?
-Availability in India and the price
-If sourced from elsewhere warranty is an issue
- Reviews say camera is not that great although it's a slight improvement over previous nexus
-Stuck with 16gb. It is quite less if you plan to carry around lots of pics and few movies, music vids.

Any android phone you buy you need to find the ROM that suits you best. Both phones will have great Dev support. So you will have many options there.

It is difficult to recommend one among these 2 phones. I think it finally boils down to price, your need for more memory.

How about a Windows Phone? Take a look at the new Lumia 920 and the HTC 8X, both satisfy all your criteria and will also be a refreshing new change OS-wise.
The UI is really innovative and worth considering.

Else I would go with Nexus 4 considering the awesome price and the fact that you are bored with iOS.

Don't worry about the Nexus 4's built quality. Im pretty sure its good enough. And I read The Verge and Engadget Review and they've said great things about the built quality. Dont discriminate against lg! And The Nexus would be much better than the s3! Its got the snapdragon s4 pro which is arguably the fastest Chip out right now! 2gigs of ram, A big screen and an awesome design. its got the best of android and you wont have to worry about not getting updates since its a nexus phone!!!I really hope they dont make it too pricey in india!! Buts its still a really really good deal! :) And BTW, most reviews say the camera is a really big improvement over the Gnex. If you dont want the N4 get the S3

Would like to add that I recently was able to get my hands on my brother's iPhone 5. And I got to say that the build quality is absolutely top-notch, and I'm absolutely blown away by how light the phone is! It's really, really light! And at the same time it feels super-sturdy.

Switch Although I would personally opt for the Nexus 4, if you are used to and are satisfied with iOS' UI, and if perhaps you already have bought a lot of applications on the App Store, the iPhone 5 is definitely a great way to go.

It would be best, however, if you were able to get hands-on experience with both the Nexus 4 and the iPhone 5, and perhaps also the S3, and make the decision for yourself.

After reading everything, I feel a Windows Phone device is more suited to your needs. Most of the popular games are already on that platform and given the inclusion of DirectX the newer games will definitely leverage on this.

Your needs involve using social platforms which would integrate perfectly with the People's Hub. You should go try the Lumia 820 and 920 before you come to a final decision, both devices seem to be really amazing.

If you are adamant on getting an Android device, I would suggest you get the Nexus 4. The device will come with Google Updates(so no waiting time, especially considering you are coming from an iOS background). Also, the price difference doesn't completely justify the Galaxy S3.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading everything, I feel a Windows Phone device is more suited to your needs. Most of the popular games are already on that platform and given the inclusion of DirectX the newer games will definitely leverage on this.

Your needs involve using social platforms which would integrate perfectly with the People's Hub. You should go try the Lumia 820 and 920 before you come to a final decision, both devices seem to be really amazing.

If you are adamant on getting an Android device, I would suggest you get the Nexus 4. The device will come with Google Updates(so no waiting time, especially considering you are coming from an iOS background). Also, the price difference doesn't completely justify the Galaxy S3.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I have seen both black and white versions of iPhone 5. Though its defiantly lighter but when compared to iPhone 4/4S the previous version seems a much more polished device then the latest roll out by apple. Though I haven't seen Nexus 4 in person but it defiantly looks as good as or maybe a tad better then the iPhone 4.

As for the OS I feel iOS is dated and Apple has nothing to offer as for the OS front itself. Apps is a totally different story along with the gaming experience. As for android I feel it has a little too much on its plate when it comes to OS. When Apple says "it just works" it actually just does while for android its not that polished one should say. Little things like pinch to zoom, tap to zoom, scrolling etc are perfected by Apple while Android is doing the same thing but the experience is a lot more satisfying on Apple products. And people who say that "these small things don't matter" are either lying to themselves or haven't used both the products extensively.

But even after all that I would like to go in for a Android product. Cause "change is good" and if I don't like it I can always come back to TE market. My last(hopefully) question to you Fandroids is that if Samsung S3 was as cheap as Nexus 4(not the other way around) would you guys go in for Nexus 4 or S3. I could spend upto 35K for a great experience but I know I wouldn't get it hence I would buy something for 22K-25K and have something Value for money. Could be a Second hand S3 or a brand new Nexus 4.

^ i would go for nexus 4 even if s3 was much cheaper than it. I personally hate the looks of s3. i have used s3 and galaxy nexus side by side and i found galaxy nexus to be more optimized and little bit more polished. It was as smooth as my ip4 maybe even better. So i would recommend a nexus device anyday compared to any other android device.

Back