CPU/Mobo New PC problem

My friend has a Gigabyte 785GMA USB3 mobo + AMD 555BE
RAM is 2X2GB Corsair XMS @ 1333Mhz
HDD - Seagate 1TB
DVDRW - LG
PSU - VX450

When the HDD and DVDRW are connected the bios hangs after starting.
If only one of the devices is connected they are identified in the BIOS.

What could be the issue ? Is there some BIOS setting I might have missed , the mode selected is Native IDE and Onboard SATA is Enabled.

Is there any problem with the PSU ?

is it an ide or sata dvdrw ?? if its sata disable native ide... also try changing the sata ports of either one of them and u should be able to boot wit both...

native ide in latest mobos refers to sata ide only. There are two modes under sata. One is native ide and other one is ahci.... So imo the setting is correct only... Ahci is meant for vista and 7 and for xp ahci drvers has to be installed prior to changing ahci mode in bios...

ronit said:
try putting both devices on different slots. that should solve the issue.
what do you mean by that ?.. Sata ports are individual only unlike parallel ports where two devices can be connected to one port , isnt it ??

Try different SATA slots, different SATA cables.
Try using different power connectors...use ones running from separate cables out of the psu.
Try updating the motherbords bios.
Since it's a new pc, a faulty motherboard/psu cannot be ruled out.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I tried with diff , data cables / ports , diff power cables , set the bios settings to Default Optimum too.

I am sending it back to Lammy where i got it from and let him deal with it. Lets see what is the culprit and I will update the thread accordingly.

Thanks for the suggestions ppl.

anfjavid said:
what do you mean by that ?.. Sata ports are individual only unlike parallel ports where two devices can be connected to one port , isnt it ??
i meant if you have 4 sata slots and just two devices like here, put one device in sata 1 and other in sata 4.

I have 6 satas and theres some issue at my end so i use this logic.

Back