New laptop from U.S - Need config Suggestions

ChetanSolur

Disciple
Hi All,

Had prepared a nice config for a desktop, but due to inevitable reasons I am forced to buy a laptop. Below is a configuration that I have customized from the available options in the DELL site. The laptop comes close to $1320 and that is the max I could spend on a device which would support the newer games (Assassin's Creed - Brotherhood, Crysis 2..) or rather I hope it would. Please take a look at the config and let me know your opinions guys. Below are a few highlights..

PROCESSOR - 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 Gz
OPERATING SYSTEM - Genuine Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit, English
HD DISPLAY - 17.3" HD+ (900p) LED Display with 2.0MP HD Webcam
MEMORY - 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
VIDEO CARD - NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus
BATTERY OPTIONS - 92 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
HARD DRIVE - 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

This config looks awesome.

Just one thing though, I own an i7 myself, and would like to tell you that if u don't need a quad, dont get it. Thing is quad also get with itself a LOT if heat and MUCH reduced battery life. So if any of these is imp to u, then go for an i5 instead..

Dell has the Dell XPS 17 Core i7 17.3" HD+ Laptop (Silver Anodized Aluminum) for $1315 - $300 off with coupon code 8GHR80Q1PLLCF7 [Exp 4/30] - $100 off with stackable code QFSNKXG0P1S1BK [Exp 4/30] + $0 shipping with stackable code HLSKSR06S9ZG0F [Exp 4/30] = $915 shipped. Start with the base configuration and upgrade to Blu-ray combo drive and 9-cell Li-ion battery to reach $1315 ($1300 coupon minimum). [Compare]

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00GHz, 6GB DDR3, 640GB 7200RPM HDD

NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M 1GB w/ Optimus switching, BD-Combo

17.3" HD+ WLED (900p), 802.11n, 9-cell Li-ion, Windows 7 HP x64

wishmaster.dj said:
This config looks awesome.

Just one thing though, I own an i7 myself, and would like to tell you that if u don't need a quad, dont get it. Thing is quad also get with itself a LOT if heat and MUCH reduced battery life. So if any of these is imp to u, then go for an i5 instead..
Hey thank's for the quick turn around.

Well, what you say makes sense but again, would it support all the "coming of age" games? I want the device to stand up atleast for the next 2 years. The core i5 2520M is also an option with a reduction of 85 dollars and is a very nice processor again. :( What do I do? I am going for a good card so I think I can do with an i5. Take a look at this and let me know if you see any salient difference..!! Compare Intel® Products

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

mutant said:
Dell has the Dell XPS 17 Core i7 17.3" HD+ Laptop (Silver Anodized Aluminum) for $1315 - $300 off with coupon code 8GHR80Q1PLLCF7 [Exp 4/30] - $100 off with stackable code QFSNKXG0P1S1BK [Exp 4/30] + $0 shipping with stackable code HLSKSR06S9ZG0F [Exp 4/30] = $915 shipped. Start with the base configuration and upgrade to Blu-ray combo drive and 9-cell Li-ion battery to reach $1315 ($1300 coupon minimum).

Bro..!! What would I do without you? Dude I wasn't aware of these coupons and you just popped up from nowhere. Thanks so much.. So, are these the only one's which I can use? (Not a greedy question but I just wanted more information on these for future purchases). Does the core i7 generate a lot of heat and would that be a matter of concern in the long run?

No problem :)

And these are the only coupons you can use on your purchase atm and the i7 processors are fine, dont worry about the heat and all, just go on and buy the XPS, its a great machine, you will be happy you did.

And if you are very happy for the coupons, you can try and bring me a ipad 2 ( which I will pay for off-course) from the US :D :p

mutant said:
No problem :)

And these are the only coupons you can use on your purchase atm and the i7 processors are fine, dont worry about the heat and all, just go on and buy the XPS, its a great machine, you will be happy you did.

And if you are very happy for the coupons, you can try and bring me a ipad 2 ( which I will pay for off-course) from the US :D :p
Well, if I was in the U.S, shopping my accessory then I would have picked your iPad 2 and would have been the delivery boy at your residence myself but... I guess fate just played spoil sport. There is my friend sitting in the U.S and he leaving on 29th of this month and these DELL retards are building the Laptop in snails pace. They have given the preliminary shipping date as 29th..!! Now what do I do? :(

@OP- i think you'd better go with the i5. Thing is with a mobile machine, i dont seem quads dominating gaming in the next 2 years. At least, in the current games, a powerful i5 goes way better than a quad. Plus, the heat of a quad... dont even get me started man. If you are just listening to some music, you will still be running late 58ish.

SO take your pick.

ChetanSolur said:
Well, if I was in the U.S, shopping my accessory then I would have picked your iPad 2 and would have been the delivery boy at your residence myself but... I guess fate just played spoil sport. There is my friend sitting in the U.S and he leaving on 29th of this month and these DELL retards are building the Laptop in snails pace. They have given the preliminary shipping date as 29th..!! Now what do I do? :(
can you tell me when did you place the order and how much time DELL is taking in delivery...my friend is coming from USA and me too want to get a lappy from there..

you can see more coupons at "deals2buy.com"...the best deals are mostly listed there.

titana said:
can you tell me when did you place the order and how much time DELL is taking in delivery...my friend is coming from USA and me too want to get a lappy from there..

you can see more coupons at "deals2buy.com"...the best deals are mostly listed there.
You can place an order from DELL U.S website. I checked the site and its good. Quite a lot of things to choose from. But to my dismay, one contact coming from US is leaving on 29th and other is already loaded with other stuff..!! Luck is just not on my side as there is no way in hell I can ship things to India from U.S. :(

mutant said:
Dell has the Dell XPS 17 Core i7 17.3" HD+ Laptop (Silver Anodized Aluminum) for $1315 - $300 off with coupon code 8GHR80Q1PLLCF7 [Exp 4/30] - $100 off with stackable code QFSNKXG0P1S1BK [Exp 4/30] + $0 shipping with stackable code HLSKSR06S9ZG0F [Exp 4/30] = $915 shipped. Start with the base configuration and upgrade to Blu-ray combo drive and 9-cell Li-ion battery to reach $1315 ($1300 coupon minimum). [Compare]
Dude did you buy the Laptop from U.S? How about service and stuff? I am a little skeptical about any support offered on products bought from U.S

Back