OC & Modding New CPU cooler for AMD Phenom II X6

stavan_d

Disciple
I am looking for a new cpu cooler, my pc specs are

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T processor
Mobo: Asus M4A88t-M LE
NZXT Gamma Case

budget is between 1k to 2k... I am not sure if spending a lot on a cooler is necessary.

if i buy a cooler for 2k will i be able to overclock my proccy with not a lot of noise, cause on my stock cooler it used to make a lot of noise so I came back to stock speeds?

I have looked on flipkart and found CM Hyper models in my budget plus there is the option of Deepcool(good company??) Gammaxx S40 Cooler.

as this is the first time i'm buying a cooler what should i look for? what should i keep in mind?
which ones are good?

thanks in adv.

You haven't already? The 1055T is an incredible chip for overclocking and has tons of potential. Without any voltage increase you can raise it to 3.8Ghz and thats a 1Ghz upgrade. To push higher you'll need a higher voltage, much better cooler and a better motherboard, and then you can push till 4.2Ghz- 4.5Ghz depending on your luck. In any case, you need some sort of cooling regardless of what you do cause the stock cooler is literally shit.

For now, I recommend you run the processor at stock speeds, undervolt your processor by a notch and disable turbo boost - it will run much more cooler and therefore make less noise. This will do till you get a new cooler. For cooler, try getting a Hyper 212 like people suggested above. It is an incredibly capable cooler for the price and if you can find its older and cheaper models then that would be awesome.

I really am not sure if I wanna spend 2.7k on a cooler...

For under 2k the options I have are
CM Hyper TX3 Evo
CM Hyper T4
Deepcool Gammaxx S40

I am leaning towards T4 but its on available on FK and local dealer is quoting too much for it...

Deepcools seems nice... Similar to the CM options... Reviews are good too... But I'm not sure of the Company... Is it good??

The Local Dealer also suggested coolers from Antec... Any good??

I really am not sure if I wanna spend 2.7k on a cooler...

For under 2k the options I have are
CM Hyper TX3 Evo
CM Hyper T4
Deepcool Gammaxx S40

I am leaning towards T4 but its on available on FK and local dealer is quoting too much for it...

Deepcools seems nice... Similar to the CM options... Reviews are good too... But I'm not sure of the Company... Is it good??

The Local Dealer also suggested coolers from Antec... Any good??

Just by looking at it, I'd suggest the T4. It has a far better heatpipe configuration than the other coolers and comes with a neat Sickleflow fan too. I'd suggest that thats your best bet in the options you suggest. Suggest you order it now so you get it before Sunday :p.

No one is looking at mobo..
OP mobo is not that good for overclocking..

Doubt it. I have the same 880G chip and besides having a slightly higher vrm (mine is 5, his is 4), don't see how reaching to 3.8 should be a problem especially considering how you can get other X6s (like the 1100T) which reach those clockspeeds (with boost) anyways.

Almost finalized T4... Problem is that I am not getting it anywhere... Its out of stock on FK and like I said local dealer doesn't hv it :(

Meanwhile I'm continuing to check out there coolers.

Also I might not over clock my CPU just yet... But I would love to have that option.

BTW will T4 be future proof?? I mean say, down the line 1-2yrs, if I upgrade.. Could I use the same cooler??

(I know I'm asking for too much)

Back