Graphic Cards NEW 6600 GT System Crashing!!!

Hey_There

Disciple
Hia Everyone, I an a N00be here. This is my first post here and what a better way to start than with a problem?? :)

Please give me some advice or suggestions. I'll be glad to accept. :)

Every time I run a Graphics Intensive Game/benchmark, my system locks up in just a few minutes and then reboots on its own.

Here is to reproduce the issue ...

1. I run a benchmark like 3DMark 05 OR play HL2 with all AA Enabled, AF On and Everything else set at high.
  2. After anywhere from 2 - 5 minutes of playing, the game suddenly locks up.
  3. At this point the ethernet interface lights stop blinking. (System Hang Maybe??)
  4. Another 10-20 seconds later, the Game proceeds 1 frame or so, and the sound on the speakers is stuck, (Like a stuck record). Strangly, the ethernet light will start to blink again now
  5. System will now reboot on its own within the next 10 seconds.

Additional Info ...

It was the same in Area 51, but there were some artifacts too.

GTA III and BloodRayne2 Ran very well at their highest settings except for some jerkyness here and there.

Aquamark 3 gave a score of 52890 or something, and there were no jerks or lockups anytime.

Temperatures around these times...

Proc: 42°C

Mobo: 38~40°C

6600GT: 52~70°C

System Config ...

• Processor: Athlon 64 3200+ (939)
  • Mobo: MSI ATI Radeon RS480 M2 (ATI X200 Onboard Graphics)
  • RAM: Kingston 512 X 2 = 1GB (Dual Channel)
  • HDD: Maxtor 6Y0M080 (80 GB SATA @ 7200, 2 MB Buffer)
  • Case: Aopen (I don't remember the model #)
  • PSU: Aopen 300W.
  • NEW Graphics: (2 DAYS OLD!!!) Zebronics 6600GT 256MB. (Seems to be a XFX 6600GT 256MB) with a copper heatsink block and silicone rubber stabilizers underr the heatsink.

Here is what I am doing about it today ...

Remove the 6600 GT, reboot and reinstall the ATI System Drivers and Onboard Graphics Drivers.

If Required, Reinstall Win XP and ATI Drivers and see if these benchmarks complete on that without any issues.

^^ These should confirm if it IS an issue with the 6600 GT.

Meanwhile, if you have advice, suggestions or recommendations, I'll be glad to hear from you. :)

Hmm did you disable the onboard drivers. Install the chipset drivers. Use driver cleaner and clean all races of old drivers after you uninstall. Try all of this. In case it doesn't work then the issue is definitely with the PSU being unable to supply sufficient power to the 6600gt.

Seems like a PSU prob 300 watts does not suffice nowadays.
Btw wat remooebale drive u have( optical drives ) and how many hdds.

Aren't AOpen PS's FSP OEM's ? Still could be a driver issue. Start afresh. Reinstall XP, install the Chipset Drivers alone and then the driver for the 6600GT. Try to get hold of the XG-77.62 or 77.50 which work extremely well and r known to be stable.

Thanks for the Blitzkerig response. :)

yes, I removed the ATI system and graphics driver. Then installed the NVidia Drivers. Then i installed the latest Nvidia Drivers from website and then again removed and reinstalled the drivers just to be sure.

Drive Info:

LG - GSA 4163 DVD Burner running latest firmware.

Sony CRX 230e CD Burner

And only one HDD Maxtor 6Y080M0

BTW, do you really think that the PSU can be suspect? I checked with my system builder who happens to be a friend, he said that it is really 300W. Also, the restart isn't like all of a sudden. The system locks up first and then after half a minute or so, restarts.

Try with a400 watt psu, or maybe remove as many an power consuming devices of the PSU like the DVD rom/writer extra hdd and fancy lighting shit and see if it helps as far as i know the 6600 power requirements are high, the bare minimum is 300 watts but more than tht is preffered.

Hey_There said:
  1. I run a benchmark like 3DMark 05 OR play HL2 with all AA Enabled, AF On and Everything else set at high.
  3. At this point the ethernet interface lights stop blinking. (System Hang Maybe??)
  4. Another 10-20 seconds later, the Game proceeds 1 frame or so, and the sound on the speakers is stuck, (Like a stuck record). Strangly, the ethernet light will start to blink again now

1. happened to me whenever i oced the core tooo much...but in my case it never retsrted. this happened to em with 2 cards, FX5200 and FX5700....many times when ir resumed, i got artefacts...

so i guess its ur card thats giving problems....

could you mention wut other peripherals you have.....anything in pci,extra hddz ?,any optical drives,if u have too many the psu could be at fault as the other games may not work ur gpu as much as the high end benchmarks and the high end games do
id say a 99% psu fault,get at least a vip or powersafe psu 400W n above

Hey_There said:
Hia Everyone, I an a N00be here. This is my first post here and what a better way to start than with a problem?? :)
Every time I run a Graphics Intensive Game/benchmark, my system locks up in just a few minutes and then reboots on its own.

Additional Info ...
GTA III and BloodRayne2 Ran very well at their highest settings except for some jerkyness here and there.
Aquamark 3 gave a score of 52890 or something, and there were no jerks or lockups anytime.

System Config ...

• NEW Graphics: (2 DAYS OLD!!!) Zebronics 6600GT 256MB. (Seems to be a XFX 6600GT 256MB) with a copper heatsink block and silicone rubber stabilizers underr the heatsink.

Remove the 6600 GT, reboot and reinstall the ATI System Drivers and Onboard Graphics Drivers.
If Required, Reinstall Win XP and ATI Drivers and see if these benchmarks complete on that without any issues.
Meanwhile, if you have advice, suggestions or recommendations, I'll be glad to hear from you. :)
the temp of 6600 should be in the range of 49 to 52 only
as per my card 6600 gt leadtek tdh ext

1. Remove all IDE and SATA devices from computer other then the promary HDD. this will sort out the power supply issue, and test.

2. If the problem persist, try gaming with the cabinet open, also make sure that the fan on the card is working.

3. If the problem persist, it seems to be a dead or a dying card. Underclock the card and check if it works.

i have the same problem, i too have 6600gt but i think my problem is in my hdd, the hangups i mean, i can hear a very distinctive sound of a tick, 3 seconds before every hang, i am using coloursit smps

but maxtor hdd :-S i think thats the problem

maxtor..i cant remmeber properly but maxtor does hav some prob with gfx card specially frm nvidia....cant recall properly but somone menton it on some site......i guess eazy told it somwhere......

note:::sorry if i m wrong......but i cant recall it properly

Okie Everyone, Heres how it all went...

You were prolly right after all about the PSU. I reloaded the ATI System and Catalyst drivers, and tried my ATI RS480M2 Graphics. This time all the benchmarks completed. I tried 3DMARK 2005 3 times in a loop and there were no hangs anytime.

All that time, I kept the case closed.

Now, I have ordered a Zebronics (YUK!!) Server Class 500W PSU. I don't have much of a choice as Antec and Zalman are way too expensive.

VIP is available, but I was adviced not to go for it as the support is bad.

Thanks everyone, you got me started on the right track. :)

Hey_There said:
Okie Everyone, Heres how it all went...
You were prolly right after all about the PSU. I reloaded the ATI System and Catalyst drivers, and tried my ATI RS480M2 Graphics. This time all the benchmarks completed. I tried 3DMARK 2005 3 times in a loop and there were no hangs anytime.
All that time, I kept the case closed.
Now, I have ordered a Zebronics (YUK!!) Server Class 500W PSU. I don't have much of a choice as Antec and Zalman are way too expensive.
VIP is available, but I was adviced not to go for it as the support is bad.

Thanks everyone, you got me started on the right track. :)

Could you post the exact model number printed on the psu? If it begins with an FSP, just cancel your zebronics! Its not a PSU issue then.

I remember reading somewhere that the power line from the PSU to the GFX card should not be shared with any other peripheral, especially with the HDD. You know what I mean, right? Some cables that comes out of the PSU have two power connectors that can be attached to different peripherals. I have a separate one for the GFX (XFX6600GT) and another for the HDD.

Of course, I also have an Antec 350W PSU :)

Aopen is OK.....but not the 300W one......you'll need a 450W general case or an antec 350/400W at least....

The prob is due to the fact that your PSU cannot supply enough juice to the rig....

Hey_There said:

Additional Info ...

System Config ...

Back