Networking woes

nileshgr

Disciple
PreNote: I don't have much knowledge about networking and stuff, but I can understand things quite easily. So post solution considering me a n00b.

So here's the network layout of my house:

Now as the picture says, there's a Linux machine which I use with IP 192.168.1.254

The wifi router has two ip addresses, namely 192.168.2.1 (that is wifi subnet) and the subnet to which it routes packets: 192.168.1.2

I can connect to the router from my pc, also ping 192.168.2.1

But, I am unable to ping the laptop which obtains ip address using dhcp from the wifi router. I checked its ip to be 192.168.2.4 and tried to ping it, no response.

There's no firewall.

Also, I have samba (windows file & print sharing) running on my linux box, but windows doesn't show the desktop in the entire network list, in fact it doesn't show the workgroup itself, which it used to show earlier when there was no wifi network and all network was in 192.168.1.X subnet.

So, help me!!

Why you have two different IP ranges: 192.168.1.xx vs 192.168.2.xx? unless have more than 200nodes & you want to handle hassle of subnetting . Avoid different IP ranges. Connect everything on 192.168.1.xx range.

Keep it simple:p

What is the IP address that the wifi router is getting/configured? Keep in mind that it should have an IP address from each subnet i.e. 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x. You would also need to check the routing on that device. Also, are you able to ping from the laptop to the 192.168.2.x IP address of the wifi router?

As suggest above.
Make it simple.
And post some more details about Router and DSL Modem make. How many Lan ports does router have ? If it has more than 1 Port then you can eliminate Switch.
Here is my suggestion.
qo8ys6.jpg

In above setup. You need to configure PPPOE on Wireless Router.

@everyone,

I can't go about your settings because, for wifi range, the wireless router has been placed right in the middle of the house.

The ISP router has only one LAN port.

The wireless router has four LAN ports, but which are not of use. It is solely being used for wifi purposes.

And I don't use a PPPoE connection. The ISP router has some different type of connection called 'Mac Encapsulation Routing', which I don't know what means.

I have a static IP address from my ISP.

The wifi router's internet cable (LAN and internet is separate) is connected to the switch, which is connected to the router and my pc.

Also, the wifi router doesn't seem to accept same subnet for LAN and WAN where LAN is the wireless in this case.

---EDIT---

Hi, the problem got fixed!

After seeing you guys' suggestion (thanks a ton for that :D which made my brain experiment and think about it :D), I tried disabling DHCP of router and setting router's IP on the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.1.3 and the linux desktop's machine's ip 192.168.1.2 meanwhile I kept DHCP of ISP router on.

Later, I observed during the experimentation that, whenever I connect the cable from router's LAN port (four lan ports as I mentioned earlier), to the switch, the router does the job of yet another switch with wireless features.

So the new network layout is this:

WzqW0.png

Back