Need Wireless Router for Home

_Atif_

Disciple
Hi

I need to buy a wireless router for my home with the following requirements.
  1. Budget - upto 5k
  2. Non-modem router. The one that takes LAN cables as input.
  3. Router will be used to browse the internet and play multiplayer games online.
  4. Should be dual band router.
  5. Should have good enough range for a 700 sq ft flat.
  6. Should be able to handle 7 devices - 4 phones, 2 laptops , 1 desktop and 1 printer. Also thinking of getting a smart tv in future.
  7. USB ports are good to have but not compulsory.
  8. I am not interested in modifying the router(custom firmware, etc).
I have not shortlisted any routers.

Here is a brief review for this product that I have used for 15 days.

Note that the router is placed in the center of the flat to ensure maximum coverage.

2.4Ghz band -
Range is very good. I am getting the signal all around my Flat even though it has a lot of walls. My previous 2 routers were a complete disappointment in terms of range. Both my old routers were 150N. Although the range is good for me it may differ for you depending on your house area, layout , wall thickness, etc.

5 GHz band -
Range is poor compared to 2.4Ghz. Less range is expected for higher frequency. Since I dont have any other 5Ghz router to compare with, I am not sure if this is acceptable range or not.

After buying I realized that only few of my devices supported the 5Ghz band. The laptop, Samsung phones and iPad supported the 5 Ghz band. On the other hand the Micromax phones, HP wireless printer and an old laptop did not support the 5 Ghz band.

Router Interface -
The interface clean. All option are separated in groups. Sometimes this can be annoying as you wish all similar setting were on one page.
You can switch off the bands which are not needed.
Repeater function is supported.

Signal drops -
No signal drops were observed till now for both the bands.

Final thoughts -
This router is value for money. Its not the best but it meets the requirements without burning a hole in your pocket.
I bought it for Rs 1900, the price has gone up to Rs 2100 at the time of writing this post.

Back